SASS Wire Forum

Ruger SS,

Slowhand Bob, 24229

I have a pair of .22 Single Sixes that I would like to put Birds head grips on. Will standard NM Ruger Vaquero grip frames fit these? Are there aftermarket birds head grip frame/grips available? Seems I remember at one time there were aftermarket frame sets available made from brass, perhaps through Brownells? Thanks for any help/ideas on this.

Thanks for the sources, I was able to find the standard version at Midway, Brownells may have them but I was not smart enuff to figure their search system out. :blink: Since my guns are the New Models it appears that the grip frames are the same as the Vaqueros. Now I am left with some different questions and surprisingly unexpected ones. The grip frames are only available in stainless or 'in the white', which leaves me thinking that fitting must be expected? I had always thought the Ruger grips were drop in fits, if no, how much fit could one expect them to require? Would I now be looking at a gunsmith to fit and blue these? The frame price is well below what Ubertis run but then the Ubertis price is for finished and blued versions with wood panels included. At over a hundred dollars for the micarta grip panels, do they require fitting also? It might be just as cheap to look for after market Gunfighters? It is beginning to look like getting the grips right would run more than the guns do!

There aren't any "drop in" or "drop on" parts in this game. Sometimes you do get lucky and something fits close enough to leave alone, but not often. Most Ruger specific grips from Ruger and most aftermarket run a little small so you don't have to do much fitting. The grip frames themselves though, will probably require a little judicious file application. I'd suggest stainless for that reason. No blueing.

Coffinmaker

Just closed a deal for some BirdHead grips, thanks Buzzard, and hope these finished grips will prove to be close enuff on the fit. Since these are primarily intended for practice they do not need to be show pieces on the fit anyhows. I hope the micarta grips are a bit thinner than the standard wood on my New Model SSs as they do seem thicker than most of my other factory Uberti grips.

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

In my limited experience fitting Ruger single action grip frames---

The Ruger grip frames actually fit pretty good without too much filing.

But the Quallite grip frames are oversized and need a load more filing.

Mustang Gregg

Hopefully the fit will be adequate, they came off of a pair of 357 Vaqueros originally. HMMM, while I am waiting can anyone point me towards some online assembly/disassembly instructions (and I like pictures also).

A quick update here, First let me state that Bramble Mountain Buzzard is a full five star pard to do business with in my book. The grips arrived by mail yesterday and I installed them last night with one going great and the other, well, less so! On reassembly of the second one I must have somehow managed to pinch or bind the plunger portion of the cylinder latch spring plunger that installs in the grip and pretty much shattered it. There must be a trick to aligning everything and keeping it in place while one slips it all together, just one more hand would really help. Frame fit for one is as good as the original and the second is about two hairs wide on one side only and I would not dream of messing with that.

Checking the VTI website advertises that they carry Ruger parts but a search does not turn up anything Ruger in the makers column? I might give them a call since they are who I have always done business with in the past but otherwise I will try Numerich, they do list and price all of the Ruger parts involved. Forgot to mention that the grip assemblies received were stainless with black micarta grip panels, surprised me, and I am here to say that the look really is snazzy on blue guns. I might even purchase a few of the stainless screws to finish off the dressy appearance.

Thanks again to Bramble Mountain Buzzard for such an excellent experience.

I have done this several times, the ones midway and brownell sell require a lot of fitting and are not polished an in fact are rough castings around the ears near the hammer. Ther is a ruger grip frame on the gunbroker.

If you are going to do this get a Ruger take off grip frame, you know it will work and save you a ton of time!

WW

Archived