SASS Wire Forum

What would you change?

Saw the other threads about EOT and FancyFree's motion to make Constructive Criticism. I agree with her point that it is better to bring ideas for improvement to the table rather than simply state what was not to our liking.

So for this thread what 3 things would you change to improve the match for future shooters.

Here are my three.

1. KD's should have a "foot" or plate on each leg so they do not dig into the ground and change the angle of the target (and thus its calibration) as they are shot by hundreds of shooters.

2. Some form of shade for the shooters who are not on the line working or shooting. My home range built a welded frame of square tube and used roofing metal secured to the frame on each bay. This keeps some of the sun off of the posse and provides a little protection from rain/snow in the winter.

3. The walkways of some of the props should be a little wider to allow larger shooters (such as myself :) ) sufficient elbow room to avoid feelings of claustrophobia. I don't think that the props need to be permanently mounted in each bay but a modular form of construction should be sufficient for easy teardown and setup. (and relocation if necessary)

Lets pitch in some good ideas and help make EOT the World Class event that we all want it to be.

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

I get the safety and insurance issues BUT, if you want spectators to come, they have to see friends/relatives shoot. I think at least 3 bays need to be extra wide and have comfortable, high vantage points for visitors. Spectators need to be able to see over the posses and be CLOSE enough to see what SASS is about. A wide bay could position a bleacher slightly to the side/behind of the posse with clear view of the targets. Maybe have these bays be moving target/KD heavy. My $0.02 and worth exactly that. Respectfully, Baddog N.

If you want lots of spectators, and want them to be safe, and want to make money off them, how about a live camera feed from each stage every day on a pay per view channel, either TV or on a computer. so folks all over the world can watch it at home?

Three things...

1: Make the shooters' the top priority

2: See #1

3: See #2

Really that about covers it.

Of course making the shooters happy includes:

- Dress up the stages better with props and decorations.

- Make sure water is at every stage and shooters are encouraged to drink it.

- Change awards back to Saturday night so folks can drive home Sunday.

- Lower cost of vending so there are more and happier vendors.

- Announce next years dates at match so folks can go ahead and sign up if they want.

Three things...

1: Make the shooters' the top priority

2: See #1

3: See #2

Really that about covers it.

Of course making the shooters happy includes:

- Dress up the stages better with props and decorations.

- Make sure water is at every stage and shooters are encouraged to drink it.

- Change awards back to Saturday night so folks can drive home Sunday.

- Lower cost of vending so there are more and happier vendors.

- Announce next years dates at match so folks can go ahead and sign up if they want.

Yep to the above.

Side matches. Free with a paid regular entry.

Really lower those vending fees. Then you have more vendors.

That would make both the vendors and shooters happy.

Spend more than $1.25 on top 10 buckles. Don't have to brake the bank here.

You could go all the way up to $3.50 :o After over $200 entry fee. That should be

more than doable.

Stop with the VIP partys. WHAT??? The rest of us are not good enough to hang out with????

Maybe if ya hung out with the shooters more. They might feel more welcome.

If you are going to have 500-600 shooters. Then have room to sit that many.

A person should not have to stand 3-4 deep out some garage door hopping up and down to see

what is going on inside.

Walk around with a smile. Tell them you are glad they are there. And atleast look like you mean it.

More later.

Since I never shot EoT...and can't comment on changes to the venue, the way it's run, and other things...the one change I would like to see happen is me trying it someday :D

Happy Trails...

GG

Since I never shot EoT...and can't comment on changes to the venue, the way it's run, and other things...the one change I would like to see happen is me trying it someday :D

Happy Trails...

GG

I would yield my sceptre and make one small change. I'd let convenioneers shoot the side matches for no score as part of their limited shooting package. WR has done this. With the light attendance of most side match events, main matches shooters would still have plenty of side match shooting.

If I were king I would have rotating match directors at EOT. We have a incredible talent pool of people that write exciting and fun filled state matches and give them the oppurtunity to show us what they have for EOT. There would be several that would be willing to do it. What a way to keep EOT fresh from year to year.

Thanks for the posts guys, especially the one about rotating Match Directors. It is probably not gonna happen to rotate the match itself but having a fresh viewpoint setting up the stages each year seems like a good way to bring different shoots from around the country (maybe other countries as well) to one location. I will probably never get to see the vast majority of popular shoots from around the country so having them brought together and seeing how things are done at different venues appeals to me.

How about food? The vendors there did a good job but many other matches offer lunch or dinner as part of the main match fee. While I would not expect EOT to try and put on a feed for 600+ shooters, I don't think a meal coupon would be unreasonable. That way the EOT management could negotiate a fixed price for a lunch, the vendors would have a guaranteed sales amount and more shooters might hang around for a while in the food area.

Side match fees? Is it necessary to charge additional fees for some side matches? I know the money collected is for a good cause, but I heard many shooters grumble about being "nickle and dimed" for everything they did. Further cowboys in general are very generous folks so putting out a collection jar somewhere seems more fair than charging for some of the more popular side matches after you paid $20 already.

Any more constructive ideas out there?

Regards

Gateway Kid

I have never attended, but the biggest obstacle is the sign up fees. For both my wife and I, it will be over 500 bucks. This is before the first round is loaded. I still have to factor food (for 2), lodging (for 2), transportation (900+ miles). I know one of us can shoot one year, and the other the next, but we both love the sport and this would defeat the purpose of calling it a "family" sport of we did this.

Lets see, ifn I were King for a Day, I would:

1. Make Dana Delaney Queen

2. Make Deuce Master Sgt of Arms over all SASS/CAS

3. Make Lassiter and Carolina Jack stage writing/target placement CZARs.

4. 16 and under shoot FREE

5. Reinstitute Modern Category and make FCGF and OUTLAW Categories a recognized category in SASS.

6. Find someplace to hide after #5 has been initiated..... :o

..........Widder

It is just me I suppose, but I would re-instate the Modern class and keep the '97's in it.

As an aside.... I really believed that allowing modern adjustable sights would ruin the "Cowboy" effect as people went to the larger sights, but I haven't seen that movement in these parts, in fact there are fewer '97's and modern sights are the exception.

Doc Nelson

Why not make EOT a True Championship match?

Each Regional Overall winner now get a Free Entry to WR and I think Each Category winner at WR gets a Free entry to EOT. Why not give a discounted Say 50%entry to category winners at Regional and State Championships? That would get the best of the best at the World Championships not just those who can afford to go. The rest of the field can be those who just want to go. I know of alot of really Good shooters who just can't go because of the costs. A Free or Discounted entry fee might make a difference. Right now it's who is the best of who showed up or who can afford it!

I know...that ain't gonna' happen!

1. Allow adjustable sights on any revolver in any any category.

2. Allow any pre-1900 design repeating shotgun, as long as it is safe to shoot, to be used. (original or replica if originals are deemed unsafe)

3. Allow for stoking repeating shotguns on the clock on every stage.

4. Allow the 95 Winchester and 99 Savage to be used in long range side matches.

5. Create a side match for pre-1900 design DA revolvers.

All of the above would be perminate changes.

6. Experiment with allowing pre-1900 DA revolvers to be used as main match revolvers, ONLY if used in SA mode.

7. If experiment 6 proves a sucsess, consider a new category where they can be used DA mode.

These two would be experimental only, and if they prove to be not useful, abandoned.

Were I King for a day, with my wife's permission I would:

1. Bring back Berm Marshals, for so that each posse shoots each stage the same. I have heard (but will not repeat) horror stories about KD's and wagons and starting positions being treated differently by different posses.

2. Either change the Main Match awards to Saturday night; or have them earlier on Sunday, say 10:00, and also move any other awards or recognitions to Saturday night so as to streamline the Main Match awards. A great many people need to hit the road.

3. Change the buckles: Places 1, 2 & 3 should say so (this may not be a change), but 4 through 10 should say "Top 10", not "Champion." Champion is the pinnacle, the acme, the WINNER, not someone like me who manages to scrape into 5th place.

All in all, I enjoyed the heck out of this EOT!

Buena suerte,

eGG

I would make Gateway Kid & Colorado Blackjack co-match directors until the situation got straightened out.

I would reinstate the Modern Catagory, then....I would allow Winchester Model 12 into the Modern Catagory only. 1897's are getting, have been getting stupid expensive because of the rarity of them and the high demand because of Sass. While at it, allow sxs with ejectors into the Moderern Catagory.

Last thing, Scores would be judged by total time minus the shooters age for the final time. Low time wins. That evens up the field between the old farts and the young'ns. :lol:

1. Organize things in order to give your vendors a reason to set up shop. Many matches are losing vendors because they are put out of the way, are not listed or advertised in match notices, and times are too short before, after, and in the middle of matches for folks to visit.

2. Have some DECENT REASONABLY PRICED FOOD vendors available. I'm personally sick...literally and figuratively...of under cooked, poorly cooked, and otherwise unacceptable "food" at prices that are way above reasonable for what you get. Also, make the vendors understand that food HAS TO BE READY TO BE SERVED when the shooting breaks. It isn't worth squat if it can't be served and eaten in the time allotted.

3. Make sure the vendors know when they MUST have their operations set up and ready to go. It aggravates me (and others too I'm certain) no end to have someone show up two or three hours late, drive their oh so period correct pickup into the middle of the area, and disrupt the whole show while they finally get around to joining the party.

4. Assign vendor spaces and make sure they are marked so they can be found. Allowing anyone who shows up to "just set it up over there someplace" guarantees conflicts, blocked entries ot views, arguments over parking spaces, and hard feelings.

5. Don't allow the entertainment to become so loud that vendors and customers can't hear one another.

I know I've offended some people and that's okay. If you didn't want to see my answers you shouldn't have allowed the questions to be asked. I've been beating this drum for several years and no longer set up a space because of every one of these concerns. I still sell books, but I no longer pay to rent a space.

Guest diablo slim shootist

How about making the whole damn thing free one year so everyone could go

just one time in their life ;)

I like Forty Rods idea on food vendor. It's not exclusive to EOT and we have even had problems at the state match that I help run. At EOT I stood in a line for a corn dog only to get it to find out it was $6,(they did not have prices posted). No corn dog is worth $6, especially give their nutritional value.

Change the schedule! Seriously!

Make the wild bunch match Sun & Mon. or just one day. This way side matches and warm- up matches could be Tues. Main match Wed, Thurs & Fri. Have shoot-off and awards Sat. and leave Sun. for the drive home. This schedule would allow folks at least one day of each week-end for travel. As it is now I can leave on Sat or Mon and it's all the same, except for the amount of vacation time I have to use.

Thanks all for your replies.

I think a review of any match in a constructive manner is a good thing. I am quite certain all the good folks who run EOT want it to be as good as it can be and having possible solutions to things that could/did/may/will go not as well as anticipated can be a valuable tool in making subsequent events that much better. And don't forget to give praise for the things that did go right (lots and lots did go well!) Plus having the expertise of folks who are intimately familiar with their fields (vendors, match directors, traveling shooters etc) is a resource that is irreplaceable and literally priceless. Almost like having a paid consultant without the "paid" part.

So I would like to thank everyone who gave their opinion on the match and their input for improvements. It is my sincere hope that those who run EOT take these thoughts as they are intended - constructive observations of things that were noticed and not as a "slam" of a very good match. Without knowing all the cowboys/cowgirls in SASS I feel pretty sure that most want EOT to be as good as it can be and that goal is shared by all involved with putting on EOT.

Respectfully to all

Gateway Kid

If I were king I would have rotating match directors at EOT. We have a incredible talent pool of people that write exciting and fun filled state matches and give them the oppurtunity to show us what they have for EOT. There would be several that would be willing to do it. What a way to keep EOT fresh from year to year.

Good idea. I would recommend Goose Terwilligher of the Shortgrass Rangers. He is an EXCELLENT stage writer!!

Lets see, ifn I were King for a Day, I would:

1. Make Dana Delaney Queen

2. Make Deuce Master Sgt of Arms over all SASS/CAS

3. Make Lassiter and Carolina Jack stage writing/target placement CZARs.

4. 16 and under shoot FREE

5. Reinstitute Modern Category and make FCGF and OUTLAW Categories a recognized category in SASS.

6. Find someplace to hide after #5 has been initiated..... :o

..........Widder

Widder, I'm with you on all points(particularly bringing back Modern) except #1 Dana Delaney is fine on the eyes, But she is an anti-gunner and unless she comes over to our side she has no place as Queen

Archived