SASS Wire Forum

38-55 bullet casters

Iron Pony

As part of a bunch of casting stuff I picked up from a pard one item was a Lee double cavity 38-55 mold, sku 90324. Havent had a 38-55 for a couple years but thought it might be nice to add to the Slim Pony line if even on a limited basis. Had one of the pots running the other day so I poured a bunch just to take a look at, from wheel weight this drops at .382 and weights about 250 grains.

The question comes about when I look up the mold on Lee's page, they list it as a gas check bullet. The bullet has a small bevel on the base but does not appear to be what I'd call a gas check design.

Anyone out there casting/shooting this bullet without the gas check?

I think you should look at the Lee catalog again, the 338 cal is a GC bullet the 38/55 is a bevel

base bullet. I am working with the 90324 mold, trying to get rid of the bevel, so far things are going pretty good

at least in the 100 to 200 yd ranges. Regards, TJ

Yep it looks like you guys were right, I misread the code. Didnt think this looked like a gas check bullet but then I've never cast a GC bullet before or applied one. Got it heated up this AM and ran some more WW bullets, now I have to order a sizer for the lyman, thinking .379 as I didnt see anything in .380 on line. Once I get em done it will be time to hand some out to my 38-55 shooting friends to see how they work.

Deadhead, Wylie you listening?

Archived