SASS Wire Forum

Not allowed to say 'God' at Vet funerals

Here we go....expect the ACLU to show up soon.....

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/7635190.html

LL

Yeah...on behalf of Arleen Ocasio.

Isn't a funeral, by definition, a religious ceremony?

Maybe the practice itself should be banned. Of course, the bodies still must be disposed of for sanitary reasons. Perhaps corpses could

be composted and sold as fertilizer. Or, there may be a way to process them for the proteins and other nutrients to benefit the needy.

( :wacko: )

Uh...we might be a bit overboard here....

If you look back at the article I linked at #36 above, it seems that back in 2007 the VA instructed its personnel to edit out any obscene, politically inflammatory, or other content that most folks would probably agree doesn't fit in the solemn occasion of a funeral at VA cemetaries. I can understand that the VA wants funerals on its premises for veterans to be reverential, not nasty. It looks like this lady took the directive too far, and substituted her view of "improper content" for what she was told by the VA.

This seems to be a localized problem, limited to this person's administration and interpretation. Doesn't make it right, but does seem to make it a personnel matter, not an institutional one.

LL

So the VA is saying that the "default" practice for funerals/memorials is "atheist?" That's bizarre.

While I don't subscribe to the theory that the U.S. is a "Christian" nation (IMO the First Amendment forbids that) the fact is that a dramatic percentage of our people hold some sort of faith. That would include Christians, Jews, Muslims, animists, etc. Against that background the "atheist" option should be actively selected.

It would be interesting to follow the paper trail inside the VA to figure out where this practice came from.

SQQ

It might be an interesting and tangled trail.

These are the same pogues that denied Agent Orange exposure for high levels of cancer and diabetes until a couple years ago when so many of us had already died off....

The V.A. is not our friend.... They work so hard to deny benefits.... The hospital Staff are a different matter. They are not bureaucrats sucking up to their higher ups to get their ticket punched and get a better posting...

I'll post your bond, if they will let me, us sharin' a cell and all.

Lets demand a jury trial and a public defender. Stand on our First Amendment rights, go public and raise hel,l and someone will back down...maybe.

I'll post your bond, if they will let me, us sharin' a cell and all.

Alright, here's the plan: we demand a public defender, and a jury trial. We stand on OUR First Amendment rights and go public raising as much hell as we can manage.

Archived