SASS Wire Forum

Winchester '97 chamber length

Buckshot Frank

I'm looking into buying an original Winchester 97 (D series). Will this have the shorter 2 5/8" chamber? If so, is it safe to use with Featherlites, or will the chamber have to be reamed? Anybody know what the average cost of having the chamber reamed is? I don't want to buy a $120 tool for one gun.

Frank

From what I understand is that almost all of the post 1900 circa 97's have a 2 3/4 chamber length. If not, I'm sure my dad has a chamber reamer.....he has almost every

other tool know to gunsmiths. Hope this helps.

Sun

In answer to the question, does it have a 2 3/4 inch chamber - yes and no. All of the Winchester 97's are marked 2 3/4 chamber, but none of them have a 2 3/4 inch chamber per the modern shells.

As you may know, they used to use a roll crimped shell versus the modern 6 or 8 folded crimp we now use. The older hulls did not have to be as long as the modern shells due to the card used to close the shell. So it is best to get the chamber reemed (and at the same time lengthn the forcing cone from 1/2 inch to 1 1/2 inches.

As Cypress Son mentioned, your pards may have the tools to do the work and it is quite easy. It is best to use the reemer AND the chamber measure to ensure you lengthen it enough but not too much.

I'm not up on what the average cost would be for a gunsmith to do it, but others on the wire can probably help out.

There are a couple of other options to deal with this shorter chamber issue if you don't want to modify your gun.

Option 1: Took up and start reloading all brass shells. They are 2-1/2" long. No problem with the chamber being to short.

Option 2: Get one of those plastic hull trimmers, and trim your AA's back to 2-5/8", adding an overshot card before you do the crimp.

I have done both, and option 2 is much easier and less work in the long run.

Another thing on these old shotguns with semi short chambers, they need to be cleaned real good quite often. The plastic from the new style shells builds up and after awhile one will melt (for lack of a better word) in with the built up plastic and jam the gun closed. Ask me how I know! This did happen to me years ago, I took a chamber brush to it and could not believe how much plastic came out of that 97. To have the chamber and forcing cone reamed should run you between $30 and $50. I have also noted this build up in my BSS and SKB, none of the other shotguns seem to do it as bad. The new IAC's have a longer forcing cone and don't seem to have this problem. YMMV

Frank

From what I understand is that almost all of the post 1900 circa 97's have a 2 3/4 chamber length. If not, I'm sure my dad has a chamber reamer.....he has almost every

other tool know to gunsmiths. Hope this helps.

Sun

Cypress Sun- I might take you up on that if he has one. I think that I'm going to take the plunge on the '97. I'll need it for Wild Bunch even if I decide to not use it as my main match shotgun.

Cypress Sun- I might take you up on that if he has one. I think that I'm going to take the plunge on the '97. I'll need it for Wild Bunch even if I decide to not use it as my main match shotgun.

Frank

I'm gonna PM ya with my phone #. There are things to watch out for with these guns.

Sun

Dubious sez; Never pass up a chance at another 97!

If it's in decent working condition and a good price that is. Even if it is 2 3/4" chamber, it's gonna be shorter than the modern shells need. (others covered that quite well)

Can you shoot featherlights or some such without effect? I do and I know a number of pards that do too and they seem to work fine. Chamber brushes are a GOOD thing to have. Brownells sells one that has a solid handle and works very well. If it's a takedown model it's even easier to clean!

Note on the above; shooting modern shells in an older short chamber raises pressure and I suppose this can lead to other problems. Saying it's ok because "other" people do it is like saying I speed on the freeway because A. ever-body does it and B. I ain't seen a traffic cop lately so it's probably ok to speed tomorrow on the way to work..... :blink:

Original Winchester '97s are really nice guns if not abused. Look it over close. You should have the chamber reamed for modern 2 3/4 ammunition. Have the forcing cone lengthened as well. The longer forcing cone will reduce felt recoil quite a bit even with WW Feather Lites.

There will be excessive chamber pressure with modern 2 3/4 ammunition without re-cutting the chamber. As posted, some will say it's OK 'cause "I do it all the time, no problem." Have the chamber & forcing cone re-cut. The gun will function better, last longer and be more fun to shoot.

Coffinmaker

Archived