SASS Wire Forum

Practice

Jgbeerman

Evening Yall-

So it was mentioned that getting some revolvers and a lever action rifle in .22 would be a good way to practice. Does anyone do this?

Obviously it would be good for all the motions, but does the kick mess you up?

If you use .22 to practice, any recommendations or any ones to stay away from?

Thanks

In my Opin, it would be a tad better than dry firing.

And ALOT of pards dry fire all the time.

I was told early on by a Top Gun that any trigger time you can get is better than no trigger time at all.

Go for it.

..........Widder

I have no place to practice 'cowboy' shooting.

Just started 'dry firing' my Rugers to better shoot 'gunfighter'...don't with the rifles (though I was told it was ok - just nervous I guess). I just simulate the movement.

I snap cap (with the ones Deuce made for me) the shotgun...

Still, I don't have any regiment doing so - I do it off and on. Obviously I am nowhere near a top shooter....go figure :lol:

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Jgbeerman,

I'm not a top tier shooter but, my match guns are 44 Vaqueros and a '73. I also have a pair of Single-Sixes and a Henry Goldenboy. When I can practice I take both to:

1. Maximize practice time without overheating my main guns

2. 22's are cheaper than 44's

3. The guns may not be exactly the same, but you are building muscle memory

The down side is you have twice as many guns to clean when you get home

I can highly recommend the Rugers and the Henry -

MTC

I just fired 4 boxes tonight....

Another thought on 22s, consider the CB Caps for a small increase in safety and a larger dose of noise reduction. The CCI CB Longs work well in all guns I have used them in but there have been rumors of bullets hanging in the barl on rare occasions. I have not experienced this problem in slightly over 5,000 rounds. They do tend to be somewhat pricey is the biggest downside I have.

The .22s can allow a shooter to build skills in shooting scenarios, but cannot easily replicate shooting actual match guns. The Evil Roy videos do a great job of showing his methods for getting the most effective practice out of the least amoutn of rounds fired downrange.

Top shooters that I have seen in all types of competition use build techniques and actual guns.

It really depends on what you to address in your practice: the ability to work through scenarios(.22s) or actual shooting skills (match guns).

The biggest bang for the buck that I have experienced with CAS is snap-caps for my shotguns and practicing laoding, firing, unloading, repeat. I have gotten to where I actually enjoy my scattergun.

My opinion is pretty much the same as Tom Bullweed's, just maybe in different words.

In any given month, I put a *lot* of rounds through my S&W 22A, and my Ruger 10/22 LTR.

Between time and the primer shortage (maybe over? :unsure:), I'm doing well to make it to one or two CAS matches a month these days, with one practice session in there devoted to the "big guns".

I use the range time that I have with the full bore guns to practice the things that are the real time-sinks for me right now: transitions, the draw, reholstering on the move, approaching the problem, that [redacted] shotgun, etc. I use the 22-time to practice sight alignment, trigger control, follow-through, etc ...

I may be wrong, but it seems to be helping me, both in SASS and in USPSA.

To borrow something from another hobby of mine: "Seat time is seat time; get it where you can."

Archived