SASS Wire Forum

CAS in NY?

Rich_

How active is the sport of CAS in NY and in the Northeast in general?

It's pretty active, ,depending on what part of the state you're in You could shoot a match every weekend.I can shoot at 4 clubs on 3 different weekends. Where are you located, maybe we can steer you in the right direction.

Go to the affilliated clubs listing at the top of the home page and just look at the number of clubs in N.Y. and neighborung states. I shot and vended at the Nor'Easter last year and had a great time! Capt. Morgan Rum and Delaney Bell were wonderful hosts along with Wild Bill Blackerby and Piney Woods. Hope to get back up that way sometime!

Howdy Pard,

You need to peruse the SASS website for all the shooting clubs in the state of New York. AFAIK, there is a map and list of sites for the entire USA on the SASS website.

Come on in.

Chicken Coop

It looks like there are quite a few clubs in Western, NY. I'm around the Dansville, NY area so there are a few clubs around the surrounding Rochester area.

I was looking to get into CAS last year but got busy with my primary shooting discipline and the interest has now sparked up again.

It's as competitive as you want it to be. There's no pressure, you wanna be a "for fun" shooter, you'll find company. You wanna take on all comers, make it a priority and learn to be fast, you'll be welcome as well. In CAS, we don't shoot in brackets, so you'll shoot alongside folks of all levels of ability, including champions, youngsters, older folks and just for fun shooters.

FWIW the NYS championships, to be held in September, sold out in days, with 300 or so registered shooters.

Rich,

If you're in the Dansville area, you could shoot at least six different clubs in Western NY. I believe Utah Bob sent you a link in an earlier post.

You can be as competitive as you want to be - or don't want to be. I've found that regardless of your level of expertise, everyone welcomes you with open arms and are more than willing to help you through your first few matches. I can speak for myself when I say that the only one I compete against is me. Most folks I shoot with are the same way. We're out there to have fun, play with our toys and spend a plesant day with people that we like. Just show up with a good attitude, an open mind and in most cases a sense of humor, and you'll become addicted in no time. I shoot with the Salt Port Vigilance Committee, The Long Riders, Alabama Gunslingers, and when I can make it, the Mythical Roughriders. Also been to a few shoots in Fulton,(Pathfinder Pistoleros)and they put on some very good matches; too bad they're so far away from me. Good luck, and look me up if you decide to come and shoot.

WWB

If you can, make a point of going to the NY State match (Heluva Rukus).

It's worth the trip even if you can't shoot it. This match ranks right at the top of the best shoots in the country, and "as an added bonus attraction", you'll meet some of the greatest people (some of whom are also a few of the greatest cowboy shooters) this sport has to offer.

If you want to Cowboy, don't miss it!

Brett

I actually would like to come check out a shoot and some of the guns before I decide to dive in. It looks like a real fun sport that I can do in my free time when I'm not shooting my shotgun.

Hello the fire,

For information on shooting in the Northeast check out Dead Heads web site; http://www.northeastcas.com/

It lists all the shoots in Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut and Rhode Island and some in New York.

Chelsea

Archived