SASS Wire Forum

Looking for Grip Frames

Kid Sackett

Hey Y'all

I am looking for a grip frame for a Colt or Colt replica to use for making grips. I only need a used frame.

It could be from a blown up gun or a parts gun. I just don't want to sand around my frames to get a good wood to metal finish. Any help would be appreciated. I have made a few sets of grips but I think I could improve them with this.

Thanks again

Kid Sackett

Kid,

I too, have toyed with the idea of using a "sacrificial" gun or grip frame to make a set of custom grips fit my guns perfectly so that I do not take the risk of damaging my guns by sanding the new grip panels while they are installed.

However I found out early on, before trying it, that it WILL NOT work well to do this to FIT grips to your guns. If you want to use it as a model to CREATE or ROUGH FIT grips for your guns, then that MAY be okay, but maybe not, too, unless you are careful to keep them slightly oversized. Here's why:

Virtually all original Colts Model P's grip frames are slightly different from one another. The same holds true for the various clones. Each manufacturer's grips will be different than the other manufacturers' and then, they may all vary within each manufacturer's guns, just like the Colt guns. I am not exactly sure why this is (aside from intentional desgin amongst the various clone makers), unless it is a matter of hand work done in finishing the castings or forgings.

To "prove" this, pull the grips from an original Colt and chances are that you will see either the serial number or (more likely) the suffix of the gun's serial numebr scribbled on the inside of the grip panel. Each gun's grip panels are fitted to the gun. Then, take a set of grips from another original Colt and install them on the first gun. You will see that they do not fit as well I think you will find that the same will hold true for the clones, too. I have a matched set of USFA revolvers and their grip panels are fitted to each revolver as well.

I am sure there are others who might disagree, but the above has been my experience. If you do try it, just be aware of the possibility that the finished grips may not fit as you hoped they would.

Archived