rotate

• state inchampionship every year with in the state
  • national finials every year with in the USA
  • regionials, between each state in each region

whats the diffencece

lets add a new learning curve each and every year

what say you?

I want real answers, dont ig-nore the question at heart :wub:

Yeah, and multiple threads on the same subject also come up every year after EoT :lol:

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Yeah, and multiple threads on the same subject also come up every year after EoT :lol:

I am serious:

I want a vote

what is good for goose must be gud for the gander

(equal rights)

what say you folks

I want a show of hands, and I did not want to be throwed under the wagon for post hyjacking :blink:

every year this comes up after EOT

lets rotate it every year

if so

than why not

rotate

whats the diffencece

what say you?

At the State level.....If more then 1 club applies then I believe the TG's have to decide IF the clubs can't work it out amongst themselves........so it can rotate if the shooters want it to......ask the folks in GA. New Club this year and they did a fine job. The club that had it last year did a fine job.

SE Regional went from Mule Camp to Givhans Ferry in 2010.....seems like the response was fine......

If you can assemble a group of people willing to do the work that have access to a range that can handle it I wouldn't see a problem with rotating matches every FEW years.

Winter Range could still be put on regardless if it is the national championship or not....correct.

Do I ever see it happening above the state level....not really.....do i care....not really if a quality match is being put on then why upset the apple cart.

Do I think the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP should move? NOPE......EOT belongs where the Wild Bunch wants it. It's their BABY.....I thought 2010 was a good match. I'll let you know about 2012 cause I'm going back.

Stan

At the State level.....If more then 1 club applies then I believe the TG's have to decide IF the clubs can't work it out amongst themselves........so it can rotate if the shooters want it to......ask the folks in GA. New Club this year and they did a fine job. The club that had it last year did a fine job.

SE Regional went from Mule Camp to Givhans Ferry in 2010.....seems like the response was fine......

If you can assemble a group of people willing to do the work that have access to a range that can handle it I wouldn't see a problem with rotating matches every FEW years.

Winter Range could still be put on regardless if it is the national championship or not....correct.

Do I ever see it happening above the state level....not really.....do i care....not really if a quality match is being put on then why upset the apple cart.

Do I think the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP should move? NOPE......EOT belongs where the Wild Bunch wants it. It's their BABY.....I thought 2010 was a good match. I'll let you know about 2012 cause I'm going back.

Stan

great answer

I guess I did not even thing about it

new question?

should relocation of state and above matches be mandatory?

Well ......... I think trying to rotate large matches is ............ fanciful.

The planning for a match of that size starts the day after the match ends. First step is the critique, "what did we do wrong" then comes what can we fix, then the serious planning begins. You really can't do it from a "cold start" and hope. Hope is not an option.

Most state and regional matches take a tremendous amount of pre-planning. It ain't easy. Just think about parking, then camping, the match transportation, then ......... on and on.

I personally think the move from Norco was ....... a mistake. Why SASS decided to take it to the middle of no-where is ....... open to speculation. Then to put it where there is no water, no infrastructure, etc. etc. But they are putting on a good match. Not great, just good.

Will it get better?? Gonna take a lot more work and investment. Who else is going to make the investment??

Leave it alone.

Coffinmaker

great answer

I guess I did not even thing about it

new question?

should relocation of state and above matches be mandatory?

Mandatory??? No thanks.

I for one. Would NOT want it to rotate.

Like the idea of it being at the same location every year.

For those that go every year. Ya get to know the area. And where things are.

Where ya want to camp. Not a learning curve every year. Ya learn what to expect.

Just wish it was not in a dusty dirty place with no facilities at all.

Who ever talked them into buying that place sold them a pig in a poke.

BUT. Don't matter now. Stuck with it.

If they would just think of the shooters needs more. I could live with the rest of it.

And would go back more.

Or State match is moving again. Be the 2rd time in just the last few years.

Hated to see it move a few years ago. Looking forward to the move this time.

Rotation, no.

They should be up for application. Criterea should be the range, the demonstrated ability to perform and a small factor in favor of something different than last year.

The bottom line is, SASS owns the game, they do what they want. If they will not rotate the western regional why even look at anything else.......

Cheers,

BJT

Mandatory........no, of course not.

If it was mandatory however and the Florida State Match relocated to somewhere else in Florida.....guess what, it's still in Florida. If the Southeast Regional relocated to another S.E. state (as it has), it's still in the Southeast. Regardless of where the relocation is, somewhat further or somewhat closer, they are still within reasonable travel distance.

When I consider attending a large match, I look at the logistics of "how much is this going to cost". For example, I added up the costs of attending EOT. Projected costs were around $2,500 to $3,000. Almost 1/3 of that cost was fuel alone. For some reason, I just couldn't justify the cost/return ratio. Would I like to go to EOT, damn straight I would. But the way things are........looks like I'll be waiting a while.

CS

mike long time on see. rotation of eOT not going to happen. Rotation of state championships isn't a bad idea if other clubs in a state want to host a championship yet if they aren't prepared it could be bad for club and shooters. Regionals rotation should be a standard so that each state in a region could at least have a chance to host a regional if the hosting clubs have the set up for it. Since regionals require a large support and iuts not just for 100 to 200 shooters the clubs should be able to support thnne shoot etc. Since EOT is world etc it should stay at Fonders ranch. Moving state and regional matches should be done by clubs with ability and support.

:FlagAm: There is something to be said about an annual match that is headed up by the same folks each year. That group learns in the ins and outs of what it takes to put on a match that everyone who attends talks about for a long time after the conclusion of the festivities. Winter Range is the PRIME example of a group of folks who have learned what it takes to get it done in the manner required to make participants want to come back to the point of selling out the match. This has become the benchmark of matches. The Arizona State Match, Border Town is another match highly regarded as a must do match and sells out early for the same reasons.

However, there is also a strong argument for moving the yearly location. A different venue and a completely new group ramrodding the match can add an air of freshness and newness to an annual match that can be lost somewhat with continually repeating the same location and working group of pards. The SASS groups in New Mexico have demonstrated very capably that this can be done. The state match has been held in Silver City, Magdalena, Las Cruces and Founders Ranch. I do apologize if I have missed a location I am unaware of. Each group and or club has has shown remarkable skill and planning foresight in their ability to provide to their paying customers a first class experience. I personally can attest to the high quality and fun factor of the New Mexico State Championships Apple Annie and I have attended over the years that have been held in different locals and run by different groups of folks.

Did I answer anything, no. But as like most things, there are two sides to look at and one can be just as attractive as the other. What it does take is a location that can physically handle the influx of people and a highly dedicated core group of individuals that are willing to put everything they have into preparing a match that the participants will fondly remember.

Regards,

Chas B. Wolfson

Rotation causes some real challenges:

1. You need a venue that can handle all the shooters at a state or regional match: Are there ten stages, at least? Parking? Room for side matches,etc?

2. Probably the biggest challenge is getting the people you need with any experience to put on and work a large match. Many clubs have a core of about 6-15 people that do most of the work, and that is not enough to run a large state match or regional. I know my club has few people with the experience, time, and willingness to put on a 2-3 day match. Having a mandatory rotation within a state or a region means you need those people more than anything else, and they can be tough to find in a lot of areas where they are conveniently close to do the range prep, match prep, etc..

I agree with Santa Fe River Stan on his other points.

Should the world championship rotate sides of the country? Absolutely! Could it work, sure...at a venue such as Sparta. Is it gonna happen? No. Never. The Wild Bunch has too much invested in New Mexico.

Should rotating state or Regional championships be mandatory? No. There may only be one club in the area capable.

Here in Louisiana, we are blessed with several clubs that can handle it. It already rotates between two clubs and may hit a third some day.

Possum

Putting on a state level or above match is a year around concern.....when the match is over you start working on next years.... Our Indiana State Championship has been alternating between two clubs the last four years. Both clubs are on good terms with each other and both have good cores of people.

It offers different venues and time of year and also gives the worker bees a break. Deercreek and Cutter's will probably continue this arrangement as it works.

KK

Our regional is Guns of August and it is a well run shoot.

every year this comes up after EOT

lets rotate it every year

if so

than why not

rotate

•  

whats the diffencece

what say you?

a fellow,,,,,,,,,,, a few post down,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, gott me thinkin

"should state and above shoots, be mandatory rotation with each boundary?"

It ain't about where - it's about the how and why.

You can screw up a match in any town if you try, likewise you can make a match great anywhere you want to do it.

It's about the match directors and sponsors putting the effort into it, not what part of the desert you want to do it in.

just my $0.02 worth

Shadow Catcher

Mandatory........no, of course not.

If it was mandatory however and the Florida State Match relocated to somewhere else in Florida.....guess what, it's still in Florida. Regardless of where the relocation is, somewhat further or somewhat closer, they are still within reasonable travel distance.

Well, that depends on where it was, where it will be, and what one considers to be a reasonable travel distance. Straight line distance from NW California to SE California, for instance, is ~825 miles. NW Texas to SE Texas is ~805 miles. Alaska is almost 2300 straight line miles from Attu to Duke Island. NW Montana to SE Montana is ~625 miles, and border to border on the Interstates across Montana from Idaho to North Dakota is 705 miles. Straight line from NW Florida to Key Largo is about ~600 miles, most of it across water. Idaho NW to SE is ~560 miles. Nevada, ~560 miles. Following paved roads, these distances will be much further than the straight line distances. With bathroom breaks, meal breaks, fuel stops, etc., it's hard to average much better than 50 mph or so, and these distances could easily be three days, round trip. If you only have a long weekend off work, those extra days will be the difference between staying home or attending the event. The Alaska example is a little silly, of course, but still...

:)

I for one. Would NOT want it to rotate.

Like the idea of it being at the same location every year.

For those that go every year. Ya get to know the area. And where things are.

Where ya want to camp. Not a learning curve every year. Ya learn what to expect.

Just wish it was not in a dusty dirty place with no facilities at all.

Who ever talked them into buying that place sold them a pig in a poke.

BUT. Don't matter now. Stuck with it.

If they would just think of the shooters needs more. I could live with the rest of it.

And would go back more.

Or State match is moving again. Be the 2rd time in just the last few years.

Hated to see it move a few years ago. Looking forward to the move this time.

+1 :)

Archived