SASS Wire Forum

Would you go to EOT?

Not being a world class shooter, I do not see the probability of my traveling 2,000 miles to go to a shoot.

If they had it within a day's drive, maybe...

Unlike some of those who have posted on this thread, I WOULD GO to the match at Founder's Ranch if it wasn't the World Championship. It is a beautiful place (the wind doesn't blow all the time) and there are lots of very nice shooters to meet. The targets are TOP quality, (no ricochet problems) and the bays are properly sized. Every shooter has their own idea of what they like in stages, but over the years I think EOT does a good job. Price is always a consideration and I understand that, but it costs a LOT of $$$ to rent the tents, pay the entertainment, pay the advertising, etc. I only get to go to Founder's 3 times a year, but wish I could go more often. Try it!! You may like it !!

I went to EOT in 2006 and had a good time. Tex was my posse leader, 'nuff said. Biggest shoot I had ever attended and I enjoyed the beautiful location. That said, the shooting bays and props (no facades) were OK. As it's a high $$ event and a long drive, I probably won't do EOT again. I do hope to shoot other FR events in the future when I'm passing through. WR is more fun for me due to location, local family to stay with, and better shooting facilities. I really prefer the smaller club annuals as they're more relaxing. Ultimately, every big shoot is a work in progress. Let's not forget that and appreciate the efforts made. Regards, Baddog N.

I would not go to Founder's Ranch for any event, EOT or otherwise. My wife and I went as conventioneers this year to check out the place with an eye towards attending next year in our motorhome; I am glad we tested the waters before we made the full committment.

I planned to shoot a little and we were looking forward to the Life Members reception Friday night at 5:00pm. We arrived on Friday at 11:30am and left before 2:00pm. What I found is the camping area is too far from the town, the town is too big and feels dis-jointed, the mounted arena isn't even visible from town, nobody was manning the conventioneer shooting bay and finally, the wind and the dust were more than we could bear. Vendors booths were full of dust, with items blowing over/out of the tents. Most of the vendors didn't seem happy to be there. The place just did not have the warm and friendly atmosphere we were used to. Oh, and add the fact that they are apparently really pet-unfriendly. They do this under the guise that a coyote or mountain lion is gonna get your pet.

Just so you know where I'm coming from, my first EOT was in 1991, the 10th Annual held at the original range in Coto de Caza. Even though we only lived ten miles away, we camped on site. Obviously it was a much smaller event than now, but it whetted our appetite for more. Unfortunately, they moved to Norco the next year. We attended as spectators that next year and found the conditions deplorable. I continued to shoot monthly matches there and watched as improvements were made. My second EOT was in 2001, the 20th Annual held in Norco. By this time the Norco range had been improved from it's early days and made for a first class event. Everything was at your fingertips. I attended two more EOT's, 2002 and 2003. I planned to go to the 2004 event, but as it was also my 50th birthday, my wife planned a vacation that was just a little bit better than the dry camping EOT provided (QM2 from London to New York). It turns out this was also the last EOT in Norco. Over the last few years I followed the development of Founder's Ranch and we both talked about making the trek to New Mexico as we relly enjoy the entire EOT experience.

We will not return.

Wyatt

YES, I would like to go there sometime in the future. Did go to FR in 06, and really hope to be back again to see how the place has developed.

For several reasons we usually end up with WR. It`s not only an extremly good match, but the date is good. AZ is always great, and we do have some good friends in the area...

But my concern about EOT is the heat in NM in June...... I learned the hard way about shooting in the heat at Mule Camp in 05. Felt like snowman on a wood oven. Other than that, I would really like to go to EOT at least once. But probably more likely to visit FR on a different date in the future....

I just got back from end of trail; this was my third end of trail.

It was about a 4000 mile round trip, and yes my wife and I drove it all the way.

There is something about end of trail, maybe it has something to, do with meeting people from all over the world. On our posse we had people from Germany, Finland, USA, and Canada. It was truly a world event.

I would not go to Founder's Ranch for any event, EOT or otherwise. My wife and I went as conventioneers this year to check out the place with an eye towards attending next year in our motorhome; I am glad we tested the waters before we made the full committment.

I planned to shoot a little and we were looking forward to the Life Members reception Friday night at 5:00pm. We arrived on Friday at 11:30am and left before 2:00pm. What I found is the camping area is too far from the town, the town is too big and feels dis-jointed, the mounted arena isn't even visible from town, nobody was manning the conventioneer shooting bay and finally, the wind and the dust were more than we could bear. Vendors booths were full of dust, with items blowing over/out of the tents. Most of the vendors didn't seem happy to be there. The place just did not have the warm and friendly atmosphere we were used to. Oh, and add the fact that they are apparently really pet-unfriendly. They do this under the guise that a coyote or mountain lion is gonna get your pet.

Just so you know where I'm coming from, my first EOT was in 1991, the 10th Annual held at the original range in Coto de Caza. Even though we only lived ten miles away, we camped on site. Obviously it was a much smaller event than now, but it whetted our appetite for more. Unfortunately, they moved to Norco the next year. We attended as spectators that next year and found the conditions deplorable. I continued to shoot monthly matches there and watched as improvements were made. My second EOT was in 2001, the 20th Annual held in Norco. By this time the Norco range had been improved from it's early days and made for a first class event. Everything was at your fingertips. I attended two more EOT's, 2002 and 2003. I planned to go to the 2004 event, but as it was also my 50th birthday, my wife planned a vacation that was just a little bit better than the dry camping EOT provided (QM2 from London to New York). It turns out this was also the last EOT in Norco. Over the last few years I followed the development of Founder's Ranch and we both talked about making the trek to New Mexico as we relly enjoy the entire EOT experience.

We will not return.

Wyatt

Just like said about NORCO give FR a chance, it will get better and the wind and dust in not the norm.

KK

Kiowa,

The only improvements made in Norco were to turn the shooting bays around and compact them with dirt, as opposed to the manure berms they had before, with the attendant smoke and flies. This freed up a lot of space for the town and subsequent Mounted arena, where they also held the Wild West show. They didn't build any buildings, other than the Jersey Lily. Now, they've got permanent structures, good shooting bays, etc, but for me, the feel was just not there. It is like Disneyland vs DisneyWorld. Disneyland is all of a piece, compact and easy to get around. DisneyWorld is spread out too much for my liking. Add the Florida humidity and it's a no-go for me. I just won't chance driving 750 mies one-way for what I saw offered. And I do not believe they are going to improve the camping area. What I saw did not appeal to me.

And my comments about the vendors, see Brother King's post and you will know what I mean.

Wyatt

What I would like to hear after folks get back from EOT is first & foremost what a great shoot it was ,great consistant match, & secondly how welcome everybody made you feel so you dont feel like your givin your $$$$ away.

So far I have not heard or read that.

AO

the average person finds it much easier to poke holes,

......be it talking bout, CAS, work and most of lifes quests..........

I feel welcome every year I attend

I have fun every yer that I have attended

I love their stage writtin, every year I have attended

The entertainment has been wonderful, every year that I have attended

I have made new friends, each and every year that, I have attended

mileage always varies

pick up a copy of the EOT shooters book

and see what they offer

ya cant even do it all, or take it all in, in one week long trip

Howdy

Me and the Miss went for are frist time to EOT. We shoot with a club of contenders four and counting the top lot. I wanted to see them in action and so did Miss. The contest went like clock work. The People where supper SASS NICE I tryed to get us shooter rites but was only given convention rites.

I am from Austin and have been relocated to Phoenix I joined SASS because THE People are The Good Ones. I am glad New Mexico welcomed us open arms. You would have to live in Phoenix to know whene you are in good company.

So Madd Mike,

Since you don't "poke holes" and instead sing the praises of Founder's Ranch, does this make you above average?

Wyatt

PS, and as far as the shooter's handbook (I assume you're talking about the nice, glossy magazine you got in your shooters package, Tex got his info WRONG on when they left Norco.)

Nothing's perfect.

You can't please all the people all the time.

You get out of something, just about what you put into it.

Yes, I would go even if it weren't the World Championship... just to see friends that go. Plan on it every year, but something always comes up... taxes, poor economy, equipment breakdowns, spousal refusal... the list goes on. Maybe next year!

So Madd Mike,

Since you don't "poke holes" and instead sing the praises of Founder's Ranch, does this make you above average?

Wyatt

PS, and as far as the shooter's handbook (I assume you're talking about the nice, glossy magazine you got in your shooters package, Tex got his info WRONG on when they left Norco.)

geeeese guys

united we stand

divided we fall pray

why not support something you hold dear (the whole SASS family experience for me)founders ranch is only A part of that

lets face it,,,,,,,,,,,,,, EOT aint gunna move

they have short / medium and long term goals

I would rather help them, than undermine the efforts

mileage always varies

why not think positive

I aint never said founders ranch was perfect :blink:

it dont mean that I have to be a barn-ick-cal on the side of the hull slowing down its progress :huh:

any publication will have mistakes

I look at the shinny thing,

looking once again as the "overall product, and all the things printed in it that there was to doo while at EOT"

not to find mistakes,,,,,,,,, to point out

geeeese

Guest Texas Jack Black

Some think shooting in that MANURE PIT was better than shooting at an OLD WEST TOWN without the smell.Who cares if there are vendors or spectators You came to SHOOT and see old friends.

Howdy to the fire,

Count me out. Went to EOT last year. I saw "The Wild Bunch" retirement program in action. SASS is a business, its beyond me why people volunteer to help for profit event. Enough of a rant.

Constructive ideas

1. When the Wildbunch is riding around in golf carts, offer an old pard a lift, on many occasions last year Members of the Wildbunch just rode right by old pards struggling in the heat. One pard was actually dizzy and sick, CC looked at him and drove on.

2. Make sure some member of the wildbunch says hello every competitor individually....Glad your here might be nice too.

3. Drop as many ground rules as you can...Allow shooters and visitors topark where they want, its a forty acre field for gods sake.

4. Shade and water at the shooting bays. You can't do anything about the lousy hot wuather ' but you can show your guest(yes guests) that you will do everything possible to help them be comfortable as possible.

Its a long expensive drive, the shoot is expensive, make sure value is there, or you will continue to loose shooters.

Cohagen

SASS 56485

Howdy to the fire,

Count me out. Went to EOT last year. I saw "The Wild Bunch" retirement program in action. SASS is a business, its beyond me why people volunteer to help for profit event. Enough of a rant.

Constructive ideas

1. When the Wildbunch is riding around in golf carts, offer an old pard a lift, on many occasions last year Members of the Wildbunch just rode right by old pards struggling in the heat. One pard was actually dizzy and sick, CC looked at him and drove on.

2. Make sure some member of the wildbunch says hello every competitor individually....Glad your here might be nice too.

3. Drop as many ground rules as you can...Allow shooters and visitors topark where they want, its a forty acre field for gods sake.

4. Shade and water at the shooting bays. You can't do anything about the lousy hot wuather ' but you can show your guest(yes guests) that you will do everything possible to help them be comfortable as possible.

Its a long expensive drive, the shoot is expensive, make sure value is there, or you will continue to loose shooters.

Cohagen

SASS 56485

Pard,

As with BK's thread, this is constructive stuff. I hope the WB is "listening." I am expecially partial to your No. 4. (No not him. Well, yes I am; but, I was referring to shade/shelter from rain and water). ;)

Regards,

Allie Mo

Cohagen,

Regarding your comment #3, I'm not for open parking. Segregating day shooter parking from visitor parking is a good idea. Thieves show up at EOT hoping to steal guns. Shooters often have extra guns in their vehicles or lock their guns in their vehicles after shooting while enjoying other activities at FR. This makes shooter's vehicles attractive to thieves. The day shooters lot is only used by registered shooters and is attended by Waddies and others assisting in parking. This provides a measure of security not present in the visitors lot. Allowing visitors to park with the day shooters would diminish security.

Howdy to the fire,

Constructive ideas

Cohagen

SASS 56485

I thought handicapped shooters were allowed golf carts this year.

Reading everyone's input on this years EOT really hasn't had much of an affect on my feeling of attending EOT. Having watched several videos of the event did. I enjoy the people of all types and shooting stages well put together with real stuff. Most stages looked thrown up quickly and nothing really special to them other than you had better be really fast. Even some of the people in the videos didn't look all that excited or refreshed. Other than shooting with my regular pards in North Louisiana I enjoy shooting at the Bar 3. At these you can see as many good shooters as you need to in one day. Not being a world class shooter myself it doesn't take me long to realize that I'd better be in this for the fun and I am. I really enjoy going to a club after they've had there big annual event to see what personalities are there when not worried about putting on a shoot. Some shoots I'm going to make are Sparta open, Definately will go to Fort Parker once, and want to see Possum trot. Looking at their sets they seem to be fun just to hang around and just jaw some fat. See my family didn't come from the east or the west where trends are started. I grew up where the trend is what it is and it's country. Likely, you won't find me at EOT but at those others mentioned here. Look for me at the shoots mention above as well as Jacksonhole and Cypress Creek and occassionally the Bar 3.

Go and enjoy what you like, and walk with out fuss from what u don't.

Absolultely yes. Always a good time, good friends, fun shooting. Sad we missed it this year, but we're lookin' forward to gettin' out to other matches again. EOT next year for sure.

I thought handicapped shooters were allowed golf carts this year.

They were. I rented one and towed it out there specifically for the walk from the parking lot to stage one! My knees are in too bad a shape to enjoy that walk. That being said, we had a dang good time this year, our sixth time at Founder's Ranch and our fifth EoT. Each year it's a bit better.

We go there to see folks we haven't seen in a year, meet new friends, and just enjoy that atmosphere that is End of Trail. If EoT were not the World Championship, but still had that mix of new and old friends, I would absolutely go.

I also think that we are in the same situation that most folks are from a money standpoint. Each of the past years we have spent from several hundered to over a thousand dollars at the EoT vendors. I would have liked to patronize the vendors more this year, but that disposable income was taken by the extra cost of fuel this year.

As far as the for-profit status of SASS, I compare it to a fledgling NASCAR. Does anyone think that Bill France, Sr., Bill France, Jr,, and Brian France have been running a non-profit organization? Bill France, Sr. started that organization, and I betcha he and his heirs have made a bunch of money from it. SASS is still essentially in its first generation of "owners", and I expect that it will grow and change a lot by the time it's in the third generation of Wild Bunch members. We've seen it change quite a bit in the past few years as it has started to grow up; witness the start of Wild Bunch Action Shooting.

I'm rambling, I guess. The short answer is: yes, we're going back to EoT. Maybe not every year, but as often as we can afford it.

Guest Crosscut Hardy SASS # 54701

I've only gone to EOT once (2010) and had G R E A T fun....

but -- I have tunnel vision.... all I could think about

or see and notice is the stages waiting for me to shoot

and the fun I was going to have shooting them....

Archived