SASS Wire Forum

Would you go to EOT?

Would you go to EOT if it were not the world championship. How folks answer that will tell a lot.

Is it any better or funner or as fun as your regular local matches?

For the money it should be. For what it is and what it costs it should be.

My answer to the question is, "No!"

That said it IS the world championship and if you want to shoot in the world championship, there's only one place to go.

I plan to be there next year.

Possum

Hi Possom,

I would rather get rained on in Phoenix, Oregon, or Sparta than NM. Then there is the dust and heat... I don't care much for shooting in NV either, so it's not just NM.

If it had some of the amenities that Brother King and I mentioned on his thread, I might reconsider.

A world championship doesn't really mean much to me, as I'm not a "contender," except that lots of folks I'd like to meet/see again will be there.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Yes and no. Other ranges and matches hold more draw for me for much the same reasons Allie mentions. But I hope to make it to FR for a match at least once.

Life is a moving target, and the only ones never to make a mistake are those who never do anything, how we learn and change after the mistakes is the measure of success.

What I hope doesn't get lost in all of these threads about EOT, is the efforts of all of the volunteers, who busted their butts for no pay and little if any incentive other than to be helpful. While those at the top may have not always made the best decisions they were there putting in the time and effort.

NO. I would not.

Shot it last year. Enjoyed it the least of any match

I have been to in the last few year.

And for what it cost??? No.

If it was not for the people I was shooting and camping with. I don't

think I would have stayed for the whole thing. And did end up leaving out

on Sat afternoon after the shooting.

However. Looks like I may go back next year.

But only becuase the wife wants to shoot it. She did not

go last year. But if not for that. Don't think I would go.

To many other shoots that I know I will get more enjoyment from.

And with better camping, and better stages.

Reckon that would be a 'no' for me...

Don't have the money or the time to dedicate to a venue that far away from me. Besides, there are just as many places around here that are fun enough. This year it's my first state match and in 2012 it will be Guns of August.

If (and a big one at that) I were to do a BIG venue it would be probably be Winter Range...why? well, I have heard it is a great match, but it is put on during the 'winter' and myself being in Michigan it would be a nice 'vacation' to shoot in warm weather. .

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I reckon not.

Time and money constraints pretty much dictate my means of enjoyment. And, from I've heard and read....I don't figure I'd enjoy it that much anyhow.

Heee Haaa.. NO .. But I'm not a world class Shooter.. ^_^ I just turned 64 last week and I'm not as fast as I was last month.. :huh:

Heee Haaa Crazy Mingo :wacko::wacko::FlagAm:

If money was not the problum,I would go to every big shoot at least one time.Would love to see all of the fast ladies and pards shoot.

Heee Haaa.. NO .. But I'm not a world class Shooter.. ^_^ I just turned 64 last week and I'm not as fast as I was last month.. :huh:

Heee Haaa Crazy Mingo :wacko::wacko::FlagAm:

Folks....don't believe this 'poker-faced....poof-tinker' Mingo feller - he's plenty fast!!! Alot faster than me (but that ain't sayin' much :lol: )

ok...now back to our regular programming.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

wow

i would not attend the super bowl iffen it wernt the super bowl

yikes

did I pass the test

this was a test??????????????????? :wacko:

ps

I would not even attend my very own state championship shoot at those fees, iffen it werent

the "state championship" :lol:

Guest Winchester Jack, SASS #70195

Probably not. Its a long and expensive trip to finish last in Cowboy

I actually like EOT, but if it was not the world championship I doubt I would plan to attend it every year as I have since 2000 just after I started shooting CAS. I drove it to CA and because of several things, including distance, I'm glad it is in New Mexico now. Yes, it is different now, but I still like it because it is the world championship of CAS. Just got home yesterday and I am all ready thinking about next year. There are lots of really great matches out there as mentioned (CAC, US OPEN, Landrun, Shootin in the Shade, etc) but they are just not the World Championship or National Championship and for me that's what being a good competitor is about, shooting the ones that mean the most (at least, in this shooters thinking). When I shot IHMSA, I'd lay in the hot sun and dust devils at Fort Stockton Texas to be a competitor at the Internationals, can't say EOT was any worse even as bad as the weather was this year. Sure there's lots of room for improvements, and I keep hoping I get to see a few before I can not attend at all.

Probably not. Its a long and expensive trip to finish last in Cowboy

think outside the triangle

It------------------------------------------- could be priceless to say

I am the--------------- last place world championship cowboy-----------------

jeeese

to say that in the old west (nother word, long time ago) :ph34r: even before I started SASS :ph34r:

wood-A- been a ep-A-tath

here lies> the slowest dam cowboy that ever lived (before he died of old age)

add

the lack of exposure from>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 24-7 internet news coverage of today

and the wiire

bore-----ing

EOT is a party, its meetin friends, makein more firends, it classes iffen ya want to spell RO, and become a better CAS member just for the doing

just the facts :lol::lol::lol:

Hell yeah... you can't beat the feeling of riding into NM/AZ Territory, cowboy. Take the back way sometime down through Monument Valley- it's not that far- stay at the View Hotel just out of Kayenta.

Then turn that ball-bearing rattling wagon east until you leave the Albuquerque lights up on the pre-1937 route 66 on the front range of the Sandia mountains. It's high chaparral country and it doesn't get much more western than that.

As you drop into the little old west town of Founders Ranch it's darn hard to beat the ambience. Sutlers line the street; the old west show was a ton of fun; the music - especially Juni Fisher :wub: and the Red Sky band made the evenings entertainment really nice.

If it had all of that and wasn't the World Championships I'd still go. I'm blessed for the friends I've met and made there.

The status of the even means nothing to me. World/State/Galactic Championship or whatever. I shoot for the enjoyment not the competition.

The cost of the event and length are factors, as well as the reputation.

I posted on post #6. And said no.

And I still mean that.

But the one thing I did like. Was that nervous rush feeling I got before shooting.

And after that first stage. I could hardly unload in pistols. Which by the way was

23.xx clean. :rolleyes: Not bad for me. And it was that running buffalo.

Now I did like that feeling. And don't really get that at a State Match. Or even

at a Regional. Atleast I don't.

But just REALLY dislike the place it's at. But could live with it if the match was more

shooter friendly.

Put a little more into the stages. Props.

I did not feel welcome there at all.

Felt like I was just there to give them some money. Hurry up and shoot and get gone.

As the shooters are just a bother they have to put up with.

Have NEVER felt like that at ANY other match I have EVER attended.

And one of the reasons I left as soon as the shooting was over.

Would have liked to listened to Big Sky. But with room for just a few hundred.

And over twice that there. Know I would be standing outside about 3-4 deep.

Anyway. That's the feeling I got out of it.

But. The wife wants to go shoot it once. So off we will go next year.

If it were not the World Championship, I would not go every year. It is a very fine match and we enjoy the entertainment as well as the shooting. However, I would use the discretionary spending to explore different venues, and tap the keg of EOT about every 3rd year.

Are there things that could be improved? Of course! (like turn the range to face north, so the black powder shooters never have the sun behind the smoke in the morning ~ never even attempted the running buffalo and could barely see the three standing ones at 07:30!) :lol:

But rather than complain about location or targets or scenarios, how about just getting in touch with management about our suggestions and volunteer to help out next year?

I probably won't be attending next year, since we have other vacation plans of long standing (Europe), but I will be back! We had a great time, despite the wind & dust (just like home!).

Buena suerte,

eGG

Guest Winchester Jack, SASS #70195

think outside the triangle

It------------------------------------------- could be priceless to say

I am the--------------- last place world championship cowboy-----------------

jeeese

to say that in the old west (nother word, long time ago) :ph34r: even before I started SASS :ph34r:

wood-A- been a ep-A-tath

here lies> the slowest dam cowboy that ever lived (before he died of old age)

add

the lack of exposure from>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 24-7 internet news coverage of today

and the wiire

bore-----ing

EOT is a party, its meetin friends, makein more firends, it classes iffen ya want to spell RO, and become a better CAS member just for the doing

just the facts :lol::lol::lol:

you have a point and so maybe, someday, who knows :ph34r:

Will I go back because its the World Championship "YES", do I like the place "NO".

I think the powers that be have their priorities in the wrong place. As we(the normal folks) was getting covered in dust and baking in the sun this year I looked around and NO water trucks was in sight anywhere to keep down the dust, no shade for the shooters(1 12x12 pop up tent at each stage cost only $1200). One would think if the powers that be was all for the shooters as they claim we might see some improvement for the shooters that pay the good money to travel and attend this match. But instead we have "new" fences to "hide" the porta johns, new permanent buildings for the most important venders and a VIP lounge that the common folks cant even look in the door to see what was built, while we are still shooting behind bales of hay and fence/single plywood props.

There are two days of side shows for the public(that probley have to pay to get in) and non shooters to go see, that the powers to be are probley spending money on. Our non shooting family members are ask to buy a $35 guest badge to attend anything at night including sidematch awards (which cost an extra $20 to shoot). And for all this what do the shooters get for winning a side match or placing 2nd - ?? a $3 ribbon or a $4 pewter belt buckle. What has happen to taking care of the people that feed this event and making SASS what it is??? Is it to much to ask to listen to the shooters and give back Or will it get into the SASS budget to much.

No I really did not say any of this, it was only what you wanted to write but wouldnt !! :lol:

Would you go to EOT if it were not the world championship. How folks answer that will tell a lot.

Is it any better or funner or as fun as your regular local matches?

For the money it should be. For what it is and what it costs it should be.

My answer to the question is, "No!"

That said it IS the world championship and if you want to shoot in the world championship, there's only one place to go.

I plan to be there next year.

Possum

I'll probably never get there . . don't much care if it's the universal championship or what ever -

I hear lot's of crap about it - nothing good except that some really good folks win at it . .that's cool fer them and I do admire them all . . . . . .

If anything I hear a lot that WR is the shooters match, and better run. That's where I'll go once I decide to step out and give that a try . . .

EOT seems to be about self-aggrandizement for a few old guys still trying to milk a good idea into a great retirement -

I'm not chipping into that - I pay my dues - I'll go where I have fun . . . .

YMMV,

Shadow Catcher

I vote to move and start another "World Championship" at the World Shooting Complex in Sparta, Ill. Awesome place with 1000 full camper hookups, motels five minutes from the range, nice perm. stages and NO dust. This place has a good central location for ALL shooters and every bell and whistle any shooter would need right at their finger tips. Also has a huge ball room with airconditon and a bar that's open to every shooter and a full house resturant.

WoW is this another one of my dreams or is this place for real??? Go to the U.S. Open, or the Midwest Classic or Even the Ill state match and find out for your self and cast your Vote!!!!!

It's time for a "Change"!! Dang, that's not gonna work that lines already been used :lol:

NO, and I wouldn't go to Winter Range if it weren't the nationals. That being said I have been to FR 3 of the last 4 Buffalo Stampedes and one Outlaw Trail. So mebbe I would go.

Outside of my region, I don't go to many places on repeat years because I want to go everywhere at least once. Still on the "to do" list is Nevada, Utah, Kanssas, Wyoming, Alaska, and Hawaii for a few.

Pull one leg out of a triangle and it collapses.

Take the world championship out of EOT and it's no longer EOT.

I would like to go, someday, if I can assemble the funds and the aging carcass cooperates (mine, not the wife's! Hers is in good shape!)

First, let me say that I have never been to WR or EOT. Not that I wouldn't like to go, but I cannot justify the expense for such a trip. I do not care about trophys or belt buckles. I do however like to compete with the best in my chosen catagory at that time. I simply watch for my competitors to be at a shoot closer and then I attend that shoot. After 11 years in the game, there aren't many stages or shooting sequences that I have not already seen so the venue of the shoot does not lessen the competition. It matters not to me whether I win or lose at a small shoot or a large one. The thrill of the challenge is still there. The pressure is not brought on by the size of the stage we compete on, but by the competiton!

Howdy: I just got back from my first EOT and will go every year from now on, just for the people!!!Ya get to talk to the Wild Bunch and the best shooters there is anywhere...great entertainment to boot...It helps that I only live 5hr.s away...just lucky I guess....Thanks for the memories........Tuco.

Howdy: I just got back from my first EOT and will go every year from now on, just for the people!!!Ya get to talk to the Wild Bunch and the best shooters there is anywhere...great entertainment to boot...It helps that I only live 5hr.s away...just lucky I guess....Thanks for the memories........Tuco.

wow

i would not attend the super bowl iffen it wernt the super bowl

yikes

did I pass the test

this was a test??????????????????? :wacko:

ps

I would not even attend my very own state championship shoot at those fees, iffen it werent

the "state championship" :lol:

The Super Bowl is moved every year,but granted they have plenty of places to host it,but it is voted on & lots of things are considered.

What I would like to hear after folks get back from EOT is first & foremost what a great shoot it was ,great consistant match, & secondly how welcome everybody made you feel so you dont feel like your givin your $$$$ away.

So far I have not heard or read that.

AO

NO. I would not.

Shot it last year. Enjoyed it the least of any match

I have been to in the last few year.

And for what it cost??? No.

If it was not for the people I was shooting and camping with. I don't

think I would have stayed for the whole thing. And did end up leaving out

on Sat afternoon after the shooting.

However. Looks like I may go back next year.

But only becuase the wife wants to shoot it. She did not

go last year. But if not for that. Don't think I would go.

To many other shoots that I know I will get more enjoyment from.

And with better camping, and better stages.

Just to add to that.

I would still go to Comin At'Cha even if it was not the Regional.

I will go back to Prince of the Pistoleer's in Kansas even when not there State Match.

And it is a 10 hour drive each way.

I will still go to the US Open. Even if it is not a State or Regional.

And it is a 12 hour drive each way.

EOT??? It is also a 12 hour drive each way. And would skip it to go to any of the above even with it

being the World Championship. And even if the entry cost was the same.

There is something to be said about taking care of your shooters.

Hell yeah... you can't beat the feeling of riding into NM/AZ Territory, cowboy. Take the back way sometime down through Monument Valley- it's not that far- stay at the View Hotel just out of Kayenta.

Then turn that ball-bearing rattling wagon east until you leave the Albuquerque lights up on the pre-1937 route 66 on the front range of the Sandia mountains. It's high chaparral country and it doesn't get much more western than that.

As you drop into the little old west town of Founders Ranch it's darn hard to beat the ambience. Sutlers line the street; the old west show was a ton of fun; the music - especially Juni Fisher :wub: and the Red Sky band made the evenings entertainment really nice.

If it had all of that and wasn't the World Championships I'd still go. I'm blessed for the friends I've met and made there.

Well said my friend.

Ghost

Archived