SASS Wire Forum

LOCATION? no....SORRY...it's EVERYTHING else....

It seems like when you're in business everyone else can run it better, make better decisions... it's always easier to run someone else's business. That said, it does pay to look back and wonder what happened that caused business to drop off so badly... being happy with 350, 400, maybe 600 and all 14 spectators is a tough pill to swallow. Especially after years of 25,000 spectators and 800+ shooters.

Our ACTUAL final numbers are as follows: 153 Conventioneers, 100 registered Guests, and 703 Shooters; for a total of 956 registered participants. Our gate totals for the event hit 2833 people, not including anyone under the age of 12 (and the kiddos came in 12 packs). Saying there was 14 spectators is simply unfair.

Sadly, the years of 25000 spectators are long gone, Brother King. The population demographics of rural New Mexico simply can’t compare to that of southern California.

I was a vendor this year. The #1 rule of retailing is TRAFFIC.. then there's #2...TRAFFIC..and then Rule #3... It just wasn't there and the indoor tent even had "air conditioning". We did just about break even and yes, I got to shoot and was therefore often away from the booth much of each day.

“therefore often away from the booth much of each day.” Lends to the conclusion that you may not be the best authority to speak on the amount of traffic present.

Compare that to WR and 750 shooters. I was busy from the moment I stopped shooting- with people waiting for me. The weather was just OK- chilly most mornings- and admittedly better for our products than 95 sweltering degrees and blowing dust devils. Costs were roughly the same- but we sold out of 5 sizes at WR and came home with a backlog. That made a nice profit. Obviously no one can do anything about the weather ....BUT

Selling coats/jackets/vests must have certainly presented some difficulty in the weather we had, in comparison to that of Winter Range.

Spectators: If you want spectators then you have to give them something to watch and someplace safe from which to watch it. Neither of those have happened at Founders and locals told me they won't bother to go because "you can't see anything anyway." Our posse shooed at least 5 people off the berms.

Safety of all attendees from shooters to public spectators will ALWAYS be our top priority at any event. There simply MUST be a concern for all about uncontrolled access to the immediate vicinity of the shooting. Only registered shooters, match officials, and registered media representatives have access to the range area (that is, inside the berms.) Obviously, the berms themselves are absolutely off-limits to everyone. This is a matter of SAFETY and will not be reconsidered in terms of spectator access.

Public: There was one billboard on I-40 giving exit 181. From there you were on your own unless you knew to look for the little SASS cowboy on a sign as small as a garage sale at the turn. From there another sign 2 miles after the turn on the wrong side of the road that pointed onward. There was no sign to turn again at San Tomas which is almost 1 lane and becomes dirt after the BIG SIGN to SASS.

There were 2 billboards on I-40, one east and one west of Edgewood. Signage has been an issue for EOT since its move to New Mexico. The fact of the matter is, each year we place over 25 signs (not to include billboards) along the route to Founders Ranch, under permit of Bernalillo County, and each year they are taken down, stolen, or just plain come up missing. This is an understandable concern, and a battle we fight each and every year. Any suggestions?

Let me talk a little bit about advertising for EOT. There were 20,000 EOT Rack cards in total that were distributed throughout the year. EOT Ads (with clear directions) were placed in 26 print media venues, over 200 press releases were issued, EOT was listed in 25 event websites and event listings, and over 1000 posters were printed and “hung up”. There were radio spots and digital billboards throughout the Albuquerque Metro Area.

Our gate attendance continues to rise year after year....and we will continue to cast a wider net each year.

Vendors: This is the first ever show I've ever paid money to do that had no Vendor's Listing in the very large, magazine sized program. WOW... that's saying something since we've done as many as 120 shows a year since 1986. I asked several vendors if anyone had come by to thank them for coming or ask if they needed anything. They may still be laughing.

Part of the problem with a Vendor listing is the last-minute mind set of the majority of our vendors/exhibitors. You, yourself Brother King didnt provide us with a confirmation, registration form, OR deposit until your arrival at Founders Ranch. What we did do, however, was have detailed maps of vendors and their locations that were available at several locations to include the SASS Mercantile, SASS Admin, Information Booth, Waddie Shack, and Front Gate.

There were several of us (myself included) that stopped by and talked to EVERY exhibitor there- less 2. You were one of the ones I didn’t catch because the 4 times I went to the indoor tent with the sole purpose of meeting you and see if you needed anything, your booth was unmanned and I couldn’t find you. Tuesday evening at 6pm, the Happy Jack Saloon was the venue as I personally hosted a Vendor Reception that boasted a packed house- there was food and drinks, handshakes and huge thank you’s- our opportunity to officially welcome all vendors to EOT and to thank each and every one for their coming. Sounds like you missed that as well.

Parking: The Waddies do a great job. The trams are adequate, but have little 'period' connection and it's a dusty/raining/windy ride. Folks in town (Edgewood) told me they won't park up in the "mud/dust bowl and walk or tram-it all the way down to see 'nothing' for shooting." Then there were three people I spoke to who had no idea there were vendors and many that didn't even know it was going on.

All I know to say is that they must live under a rock. I spend at least 8 months of every year doing presentations, attending community functions, sponsoring local civic organizations, and exhibiting to promote EOT both locally and in the Albuquerque Metro area. In the East Mountains alone, there were over 7500 EOT Rack cards distributed and around 500 posters went up.

Water: A dying man... would just die... and the three ambulances I saw were all due to heat/ dehydration. Maybe that's an exaggeration or a misunderstanding. Sure- they should have paid $ and bought water- remember there are no public fountains. The ranch is dry and has been for some time. I suspect that it was sold/purchased without a good understanding of western/Rockies water law. Yes, it's a drought this year and I'm sure that dust control was out of the question.

Absolutely dehydration is a real concern we are faced with at hot outdoor events- couple that with the elevation issues that folks arent used to and there are bound to be a few incidents. We are constantly and consistently educating and cautioning the real effects of not drinking enough water to all of our attendees. It is stressed at opening ceremonies, in the official shooters program, and at the gate for every single person that comes through it.

True, there are no “water fountains” available- but there WAS drinking water....everywhere. There was an ice cooler full of water on every stage, as well as coolers stationed at other locations throughout town- Vendors had water, the SASS Mercantile had water....SASS/EOT provided 530 cases of water (that’s 16,960 bottles!) and went through over 800 lbs of ice to keep it cold.

Dust control seemed to behoove us all. Our attempt at watering the “streets” evaporated in about, oh...5 seconds and the dirt tornadoes ensued. We realize the dust was a horrible experience (for us as well!) and are looking into some ground treatments/additives such as calcifying the town for events in the future.

Security: Didn't lose anything and didn't lose any sleep over it. The Waddies are patrolling, but the only other choice is to push a cart up 8 rows of trailers with a 100' elevation gain or waiting for the tram, which angers many. As a vendor the only choice is to load up the truck and drive it back to the trailer only to reverse the process in the AM. People don't know this, but vendors lose most at night- not when everyone is shopping.

Our security team is thorough, conscientious, and dedicated. There are folks on patrol literally 24 hours a day.

Camping: well... it's a flat spot... but compare that to Sparta, IL with 500+ hookups and, yes, it's difficult to refit a tough choice. And especially one with no shower/ restroom facilities. I'm sure that wind-tipped Porta-johns made more than one person wonder if they were Mother Nature's next practical joke. But, how about portable shower facilities? I know it's been mentioned many times. God help you if you stayed late and had to use the John's in the dark.

We do not misrepresent the conditions for camping at EOT in any way.

Utilities and infrastructure at Founders Ranch is certainly a work in progress...couple that with the horrific winds- even the 3 foot stakes holding the porta-johns in place weren’t enough... Lighting the porta-johns up at night is also on our list for next year- as well as some rented portable shower facilities!

Facades: Nothing new... except in town, but isn't this the World Championships? Our local club, Pawnee Station boasts far better facades, shooting platforms, wider board walks... at the World Championships we actually staged open/ empty rifles on the run right on top of a barrel. An RO can't be in/on the facade with the shooter without inhibiting their movement. One of the best shooters I know was MDQ'ed attempting to re-stage a rifle over a fence rail onto a skinny little table when the butt caught a loaded/holstered pistol. I personally watched another top shooter almost lose a loaded gun when he tripped on the steps. Maybe a trip to Winter Range is in order here? Or.. the Texicans, or Land Run, or Hell On Wheels or CAC.. well- you get the idea.

Building, repairing, and maintaining props and facades for END of TRAIL is certainly a formidable task- one that took hundreds and hundreds of man hours- did we get them ALL in tip top shape? No we didn’t. We hear you!

As every stage was a re-visit from END of TRAIL’s past- stages are stages are stages are stages. There will always be a “darn we shoulda done it this way” as well as an “it’s not my fault-it’s the stage!” aspect when planning/writing/executing stages.

Attitude: In the words of one shooter, "they act like I should be damn happy they haven't run me off yet. Compare that to shooting 'Comin' At Cha or WR' where they're damn happy you came and they make damn sure you'll come again. NO GUNS IN TOWN at 5:00... but you can't get a beer unless you're a VIP. Who is more VIP than the shooters who pay the tab?"

This is truly a punch in the gut to hear that someone/anyone felt that way- I can assure you that every single person involved in this event- volunteer and otherwise- were DAMN THRILLED that each and every single person there had taken the time out of their lives to come and enjoy what we had to offer- and we work diligently to make sure everyone has a fantastic time- and wants to come back next year!

As far as getting a beer goes~ the Belle Union Saloon as well as the Gem Saloon opened up every evening offering beer, wine, sodas and entertainment...and EVERYONE was invited!

In the words of a dear friend who has shot EOT years before from Norco to Founders.... "never again"... and that's a crying shame because on questioning his reasons; they weren't all facility based. "10's of Thousands are being raised for more buildings (church, etc) and the bays suck, the facades are 2nd rate. Hell, I can't even wash my hands! My trailer has enough dirt to grow tomatoes. My wife won't come here anymore because there's nothing for her to do and no place for her to get out of the weather and watch. Thank God they got new targets this year, but unfortunately the S/G targets are the worst I've ever seen. As a posse marshal too many easy calls were questioned and overturned. This is the World Championships and we had more left/right no double taps than at any monthly I've shot in 10 years. It's not that the stages were hateful- but I can't remember a single one that I thought, 'wow- that was neat'."

Those are truly sad words to hear, friends.

-First of all, please allow me to address the Cowboy Memorial Chapel and the fundraisers associated with its construction. The Chapel project is a member-based dream and project- coordinated and managed by a group of volunteers and supported by thousands of fellow members. SASS plays the role of encouragement and administration- and every single donation and every last red cent goes directly to the sole purpose of its becoming a reality.

-There were hand washing stations all over the ranch; complete with hot water (thanks to all that sunshine!), soap, and paper towels- heck, I washed my hands often!

-Personally, I was considering planting potatoes- welcome to the DESERT!

- Lets talk about the berms/bays and their comparison to Norco- EOT was held in Norco for 15 years (not 25)- before that it was held in Coto de Caza. The shooting facilities at Norco were nowhere near ideal in the beginning- it took years and years of continuous improvements, planning and execution to get them adequate; and that facility was an existing range! The first several years in Norco, there were only 4 bays, facing in the opposite direction, and the berms were composed of composted manure- complete with spontaneous combustion! There was no drainage in place, and when it rained everyone had the pleasure of stomping around and dragging their carts through manure muck! FUN!

Founders Ranch in New Mexico continues to improve yearly- and will continue to. Having started with alot of flat land, there’s been tons of earth moved to achieve shooting bays, camping rows, roads, and so on. It is a revolving door of needed improvements, one that we will stay dedicated to for however many years it takes to get everything perfect! There are obvious issues with funding, man-power, and TIME! We are working with a much larger facility than we had in Norco- and everything is being made from scratch!

-Again, the stages were a revisit of past EOT stages...

Maybe it's time to take care of the horse what brung ya. That horse is the shooters and those family/friends who support them- and worry about the town/ church/ etc. a little later? In the meantime, it's left a huge opening for someone else to take the action. That's the nature of competition. I'd say WR, CAC, US OPEN, are beginning to do just that, with meals, raffles, entertainment, side matches, Wild Bunch, really nice awards all included to the shooter and free admission to the spectator, which will leave the World Championships as an asterisk on more and more shooters lists when making choices of where to go.

First of all- we all tip our hats to the OUTSTANDING job that WR, CAC, US OPEN, as well as countless other matches/events do every single year. They are simply phenomenal folks that make those events successful and wonderful for all!

END of TRAIL chooses to offer a virtual smorgasbord of options to our attendees- although we have considered an “all-inclusive” option, we fear the cost would be prohibitive. We prefer to leave the choices and costs associated with those choices in the hands of those wishing to participate. Want to shoot side matches? You can- but not all shooters have to incur the cost if they choose not to...same with Wild Bunch.

Every registered shooter received a goody bag as well as their door prize- the prize pool consisted of over $500K worth of merchandise, guns, ammunition.

ALL entertainment at END of TRAIL is included- and we offered non-stop entertainment all over the town, all day long, from Thursday through Sunday. There were fantastic shows offered each evening by Syd Masters & The Swing Riders on Thursday, A riveting performance of Kid Rio’s Old Gunfighter Show followed by a spectacular night time Wild West Show Friday, and a stomping great time on Saturday with Frederick Jackson Turner and Big Red Sky Saturday night....just to name a few. Let’s put the entertainment schedule into perspective- END of TRAIL spent just over 30K in entertainment this year; all for you!

Let's face it- NO MONEY in SASS returns to the shooters. SASS is a FOR profit organization. Many/most won't donate to a FOR PROFIT company to provide facilities that use will be sold/ packaged in some way back to them as customers when the shooting they came for is no better than what they have any weekend at home. Just being the "World Championships" only 'draws' so far. For many it appears that the over-arching attitude is one of "PAY FOR PRIVILEGE" with VIP parking, VIP entertainment, VIP seating, VIP recognition, and a constant 'nickling' for raffles, donations, etc. You'd think it was a church social.

Yes, SASS is a business. Businesses strive for profit- just as yours does. The membership organization that is SASS is a business. We make no apologies for that.

END of TRAIL, as well as any other match held at Founders Ranch each year, is different altogether. All proceeds from EOT are put right back into the Founders Ranch town and into the SASS Museum and Cowboy Action Shooting Hall of Fame.

There is no “Pay for Privilege”- do we have VIP’s? Absolutely! Do we treat them as such? OF COURSE we do! They park a little closer, and we may say a special thanks to them via a microphone. There is no special VIP entertainment at EOT- and the only VIP seating that is reserved at any function is for the Wild Bunch and their wives. Trust me, Judge Roy Bean and all the others deserve a front row seat- I can’t believe for a second that any single member in attendance would argue that fact.

Founders Ranch is not a playground for only a select few. Year round the facility is used by many shooters and SASS members. We are working to constantly build and improve the property for ALL SASS members to enjoy for many years to come.

Regardless of what many may think, no one is lining their pockets with your shooters fees. The suggestion of such is disheartening to say the least. This organization, this “SASS Family” was built upon integrity & honesty- The Cowboy Way.

Did I have fun? Yes.... if you got this far, you know that's not the point of this post. I, for one expect quite a bit more for my $2500, but you can bet that $1.50 buckle is going on my shotgun belt. This is now a world of increasing choices, more difficult $ decisions and added value everywhere. It's not about the weather, the economy, the location or the targets.... it's about the value, stupid. And those venues/clubs/shoots that continually offer value to the shooter are sold out way in advance even in a tough economy or location.

Stupid?!.....

All I will say about the awards is this perspective- EOT 2011 spent nearly 20K in AWARDS alone.

$2500? Shooter fees started at $200..….

Vendor fees for the weeklong event are $300 for an outdoor tent and $450 for inside the air conditioned, carpeted tent- and that price includes structure- a very reasonable fee.

Of course, I realize you (as do all attendees, vendors & otherwise) incur additional costs to attend END of TRAIL- but to throw out a $2500 price tag only feeds the ridiculous rumors and speculation I mentioned above.

The view changes depending on what side of the fence you’re on, and information and education is priceless. I truly thank you, Brother King, for your openness regarding your experience at END of TRAIL in all aspects. It is every single member that matters to me, and I sincerely work tirelessly to make SASS and EOT as successful and wonderful as possible for every single member we have! There will always be roadblocks and challenges along the way, but as with anything in life, we learn as we go and roll with the punches. Now, I can’t necessarily say that your punches didn’t hurt, they did! I lost sleep over it- it’s just hard not to take it personally when you try so hard and invest so much in something.

ALL feedback is welcomed! If we don’t hear from you, we don’t see the view from your side of the fence!

Have suggestions? Information? Feedback?

Post it here, or contact me directly at misty@sassnet.com, 505-843-1320, or PM through the Wire.

I look forward to it!

With the upmost respect,

Misty Moonshine

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Brother,

Very good points. I'm not sure exactly what is and is not done at EOT. Following are some of my thoughts.

I wish Holiday Inn (or other chain) would put a big hotel at the FWY exit to the ranch. Also, portable showers would be nice.

It is imparative that matches in hot climates have cold water between every stage.

Maybe the "Marketing Manager" could advertise in the ABQ papers and provide, for a fee, bus transportation for spectators to and from some area in ABQ to the ranch.

It does seem like some of the money shooters pay, should go into amenities (shade/rain cover and water are two biggies I can think of), instead of relying on donors.

I know that vendor attendance is declining at Convention due to high fees and declining customers. Seems that an incentive could be provided for vendors, such as a reduced fee for number of years attending.

Everyone knows it is more fun to stay at the range. Maybe the Marketing Manager could develop a relationship with a local RV/trailrr rental and arrange to have fully stocked (water...) units brought to the ranch with advance reservation.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Great feedback, thanks Allie Mo! I will certainly look into your suggestions for transportation to/from as well as the RV/Trailer bit.

Misty Moonshine

Howdy Misty Moonshine - glad to see ya on the Wire...hope ya come back and visit more often...:D

G (will get to an EoT someday...it seems it can only get better from what your posts reveal) G ~ :FlagAm:

Great feedback, thanks Allie Mo! I will certainly look into your suggestions for transportation to/from as well as the RV/Trailer bit.

Misty Moonshine

Misty,

You are a sweetheart and I thank you for for taking my comments as constructive, which was my intent.

:wub:

Allie Mo

Oh, boy, here I go, jumping in with my two big feet.

I have been a member of SASS for eleven years. I have been to 7 EoTs in that time. I remember the best of times in California, and the most recent effort in New Mexico.

I don't want to offend anyone here, in either NM or CA, but here's my view, based on those experiences, without political or personal spin.

California, it seems to me, was a great place for the match. The weather was usually moderate to hot, but it cooled down nicely in the evening, and the dust storms never raged. The venue allowed for contiguous camping, vending, mounted shooting, and the range. You could walk from the match, through the vendors, and right into a sea of campers, who, somehow, managed to survive without hookups. Some of the best parties I've ever seen took place, there. There was never a shortage of waddies. Spectators were in abundance, and I'm sure, contributed to the event income and ambiance.

Moved to New Mexico, it was clear the WB was starting from scratch. But you know what? They were in CA, too, and, like CA, EVERY YEAR, it gets better. As a buckle-capable shooter, as I have posted previously, the SHOOTING MATCH was the best I've ever seen at any EoT, so I see progress there, too.

The town gets bigger, the event improves steadily, and the match is becoming more of a shooter's match than ever.

As part of the entertainment, I know what it takes to get the pieces in place to put on a fine show. The Friday night show was truly outstanding, and the more-than-capacity crowd danced their rears off on Saturday, so somebody was having fun!

Do I wish it was closer? Hell yes! Do I wish they'd put down some clay, and water it? Yes again! But every year they get closer, and I respect that. Between the match, where I performed barely adequately, but on MY own merits, and the parties on the range, with the Pooleys, the outstanding mounted events, and the provided entertainment, I HAD A GREAT TIME, and so did the folks with whom I hung around.

I appreciate Misty taking the time and effort to respond here. I know her just well enough to know that she and the entire on-range staff were working in the same heat and dust that we were, and long into the night, after everyone had gone off to shower or drink by the pool (!) ;-), they were still there, tending to the details to make the event function. I never got anything less than a smile and any help or information that I required, from ANY of them. In short, they worked their ASSES off, to ensure our good time.

So, post away, even flame away! I thought BKings post was thoughtful and attempted to be constructive. This whole thing is a work in progress, and, like the trunk of my car, could use a bit of improvement. But I SEE that improvement taking place. If anyone takes any pot shots or is less than polite to Misty and her staff, we'll have words, and I mean it.

Sincerely,

Frederick Jackson Turner

I do wish someone would plant some buffalo grass or other grass in the town area, to help keep the dust down. Otherwise, just as it can downpour at Winter Range, it can be dry and hot at EOT. Do I wish there were more spectators?- yes. However, from the beginning the WB has spent as much as feasible to garner locals to attend. While further from California and a very large population base, it is closer to Texas, which has a good population of cowboy shooters and like-minded individuals. Maybe it's time to widen the advertising for spectators in that direction, I know more Texans show up to shoot now.

BK, you are so wrong about Sparta, Illinois Camping............we have 1000 campsites!

LOL... I didn't want to be accused of exaggerating... ;)

:blush: Gosh, Golly, Gee Whiz... talk about a kick in the gut, Misty. There I was minding my own business all by myself at the bar with all the other vendors at the vendor party where I introduced myself to you. There you were working behind the bar, lookin' all blonde and tall and cute. You even poured me a beer... poured me another one, we had a lovely conversation. Well....at least I THOUGHT we had a lovely conversation...

You did come by the booth, and unfortunately I was busy with a customer. I did wave and thought the smile was meant for someone you knew.

So then when I saw you at the party and offered to buy you a drink, I was kinda returning the kind favor. I was certainly flattered that you accepted (thinking you knew me and all). :blush:

It's a fair mark and easy turn to assert that my post is all about whether or not I wrote enough tickets at EOT. I think that an unbiased reader would disagree that is the point of the OP. If my concern was whether my stack of tickets was 1" or 3" then I certainly wouldn't have come by myself and shot Wild Bunch, Main Match and shopped most of the vendors.

Any bidness fool knows that if the main concern is writing business then you probably don't want to shoot Sun, Mon, Wed, Thurs, Fri, Sat, shop the other days and go to the Awards presentation on Sunday....just wouldn't make a ton of sense would it? What that did allow is plenty of time to talk to many, many people, make new friends, re-kindle old acquaintances, put faces to names, personalities to SASS WAHR personas, share stories, compare notes, have dinner, drinks and good times with friends old and new.

What one MIGHT glean from the OP and my other posts in the thread is appreciation to the WB for the opportunity as well as the concern that if it continues to ignore the shooter then those days may well be limited. Yes, to answer your question (in re: STUPID?). It's always about the value.

Is the World Championship the best shoot in Cowboy Action Shooting? That's the question that should drive everything done at EOT in my view and the view of the shooters that I've heard from in response to the OP.

I better stop now and get to the store for some Just For Men.

I don't think that Brother Kings post was constructive at all. He offered no solutions and brought up subjects that he was totally off base on. It is totally mud slinging. I was not at EOT this year but have been in the past and know that the SASS staff works there ass off and the waddles are the best around. If I were SASS I would ban Brother King from EOT. It always amazes me how people will run and hide behind their computer when they criticize. Have the guts next time to talk to them face to face. If they let you back in.

You admit you weren't there, yet you accuse him of "mud slinging"? Ban from EOT for criticising the match, feedback is how things improve, or was your last EOT perfect? Talk about hiding behind your computer, how about filling out your profile, so we can at least know what your home club is, and maybe use it as an example of perfection.

I don't think that Brother Kings post was constructive at all. He offered no solutions and brought up subjects that he was totally off base on. It is totally mud slinging. I was not at EOT this year but have been in the past and know that the SASS staff works there ass off and the waddles are the best around. If I were SASS I would ban Brother King from EOT. It always amazes me how people will run and hide behind their computer when they criticize. Have the guts next time to talk to them face to face. If they let you back in.

I love what Brother King wrote. He nailed it.

And as you can see. Many of us like wht he wrote and though he was spot on.

As for talking with them face to face. I for one would love to.

But when I was there. Except for when they was on stage. Never seen them.

Must have been at a VIP party. You know. The ones the rest of us are not good enough to go to.

If you look. Many said WAY worse than anything BK wrote. You going to ban all of us also.

May not have to. <_<

It's a small thing and easily fixed -- the "no guns after 5 rule." It's common at other matches in various forms.

The difference is I've never seen the drinking dictate the end of the shooting/gun wearing. If the match is running behind (after all, the shooting is the point of the event) then you hold off opening the bar for a reasonable amount of time from the last shooter to finish to give that last wave a chance to get off the range and back to the parking lot.

When I first started attending WR, it was in the middle of nowhere and didn't have much in the way of places to stay nearby, places to eat, shop, etc. The "freeway" dwindeled down to an inadequate highway that wasn't capable of coping with the number of cars from participants or those that came to watch.

Over time, the area has built up and there's plenty of everything now. That is what caused the issue with allowing Ben Avery to continue to exist -- too much population too close.

Be careful what you wish for.

Actually, if you were at the Ca EOT's then it wasn't SASS that worked their asses off, but rather the Coto Cowboys members that worked their asses off.

And Brother King is a top notch guy that participates all over the states at different matches...supports this game a lot!

Now...who are you?

Anyway, back to EOT.

EOT is THE World Championships and it should be in everyone's interest that it succeeds. I'm just not one of those that believe that it can succeed where it's at...sorry if that pisses some folks off...it's just my opinion. Again, I WANT EOT to succeed!

The success of EOT, or any match for that matter, depends on a lot of things. One of the most critical component to success is the host club's membership. The (Coto) Cowboys have a very large membership base. The also have a lot of clubs around them that have a large membership base. This means a LOT of support...a LOT of Waddies...a LOT of everything. Without the members helping, a match is doomed.

I just don't see the area that founders ranch is located in as supplying this need.

Cheers!

Phantom

:FlagAm:

Ok, ok, ok-

First and foremost, I appreciate every single word posted here- positive and negative!

Please dont take my response as anything but with the intention of presenting facts- did I take BK's words personally...as well as many other comments posted here? I did. When you put your heart and soul into something, it hurts to hear that folks didnt get that feel. It DID feel like a kick in the teeth! Why? Because I CARE. I care about every single shooter, every single member, every single vendor, every single sponsor, and every single person who comes through the gate at the Ranch or walks through the door at SASS Headquarters! Perhaps I do need to "toughen my hide" a bit, but I wouldnt dare if it meant sacrificing that type of care and passion for this organization, its members and its endeavors.

I do choose, however- to take a view point of positivity. I am digesting every word written here by everyone- and Im getting excited- what great feedback and things to improve on for next year! (I DO love a challenge!) I'll keep on keepin' on- and we just may suprise you guys with what the future EOT's have to offer EVERY participant! Rose colored glasses? Well, call them what you want- I wont sulk away in Eeyore mode full of ho-hums defeated. Id rather keep my "rose colored glasses" and move forward with the things YOU ALL have voiced as concerns and do my best to fix em! Was the match perfect? No. Are there many opportunities for improvement in the future? YES!I am grateful to every single person who has posted to this thread as well as the many others here on the wire- and please rest assured that I take every single comment and suggestion to heart.

END of TRAIL will continue to get better and better each and every year, and will improve by leaps and bounds with the suggestions for improvements provided by each one of you.

My promise to every one of you is to truly listen, to truly HEAR you..and then to continue to work my butt off to make it happen!

Thank you again for everything EACH and EVERY single one of you do!

LOL... I didn't want to be accused of exaggerating... ;)

:blush: Gosh, Golly, Gee Whiz... talk about a kick in the gut, Misty. There I was minding my own business all by myself at the bar with all the other vendors at the vendor party where I introduced myself to you. There you were working behind the bar, lookin' all blonde and tall and cute. You even poured me a beer... poured me another one, we had a lovely conversation. Well....at least I THOUGHT we had a lovely conversation...

You did come by the booth, and unfortunately I was busy with a customer. I did wave and thought the smile was meant for someone you knew.

So then when I saw you at the party and offered to buy you a drink, I was kinda returning the kind favor. I was certainly flattered that you accepted (thinking you knew me and all). :blush:

It's a fair mark and easy turn to assert that my post is all about whether or not I wrote enough tickets at EOT. I think that an unbiased reader would disagree that is the point of the OP. If my concern was whether my stack of tickets was 1" or 3" then I certainly wouldn't have come by myself and shot Wild Bunch, Main Match and shopped most of the vendors.

Any bidness fool knows that if the main concern is writing business then you probably don't want to shoot Sun, Mon, Wed, Thurs, Fri, Sat, shop the other days and go to the Awards presentation on Sunday....just wouldn't make a ton of sense would it? What that did allow is plenty of time to talk to many, many people, make new friends, re-kindle old acquaintances, put faces to names, personalities to SASS WAHR personas, share stories, compare notes, have dinner, drinks and good times with friends old and new.

What one MIGHT glean from the OP and my other posts in the thread is appreciation to the WB for the opportunity as well as the concern that if it continues to ignore the shooter then those days may well be limited. Yes, to answer your question (in re: STUPID?). It's always about the value.

Is the World Championship the best shoot in Cowboy Action Shooting? That's the question that should drive everything done at EOT in my view and the view of the shooters that I've heard from in response to the OP.

I better stop now and get to the store for some Just For Men.

Brother King- I think you and I just may end up being "BFF"s when this is all said and done :D

I appreciate your viewpoints, and accept the challenges presented by you and all the others here and on other threads to make END of TRAIL what it has so much potential to be. I hope you didnt take my explanations as undermining your concerns, as they were certainly legitimate (and shared by others!).

It was TRULY a pleasure to meet you at EOT, I enjoyed our conversations both beforehand and on-site... and the cold beer! I do hope you will continue to offer your insights in the future.

How are your tomotoes growing? :P

Respectfully,

MM

Now you can't ask for more than that!! :)

Brother King- I think you and I just may end up being "BFF"s when this is all said and done :D

I appreciate your viewpoints, and accept the challenges presented by you and all the others here and on other threads to make END of TRAIL what it has so much potential to be. I hope you didnt take my explanations as undermining your concerns, as they were certainly legitimate (and shared by others!).

It was TRULY a pleasure to meet you at EOT, I enjoyed our conversations both beforehand and on-site... and the cold beer! I do hope you will continue to offer your insights in the future.

How are your tomotoes growing? :P

Respectfully,

MM

I was going to stay out of this

Misty I have never been to EOT and could not afford to go even if it was an all expenses paid by SASS.I don't know what kind of budget you have or what kind of help, plans you have for FR. I have no doubt in my mind that you are working your ass off trying to improve FR & EOT. Working as a carpenter and horseshoer for over 20 years, a couple of things I have found out is. Sometimes you are so involved in what you are doing that you can't see what is wrong(if there is anything wrong I don't know) and somebody from the out side(fresh eyes) can see something that is going wrong or see a better way of doing what you want done.

Misty I am in no way shape or form criticizing you or the hard work you do at FR or EOT

this is just my 2 cents

I was going to stay out of this

Misty I have never been to EOT and could not afford to go even if it was an all expenses paid by SASS.I don't know what kind of budget you have or what kind of help, plans you have for FR. I have no doubt in my mind that you are working your ass off trying to improve FR & EOT. Working as a carpenter and horseshoer for over 20 years, a couple of things I have found out is. Sometimes you are so involved in what you are doing that you can't see what is wrong(if there is anything wrong I don't know) and somebody from the out side(fresh eyes) can see something that is going wrong or see a better way of doing what you want done.

Misty I am in no way shape or form criticizing you or the hard work you do at FR or EOT

this is just my 2 cents

Nope, neither was I. I dont know you, but I know the WB, who is the deaf ears I was talking about. I think its fine you stand your ground, but understand that the complaints posted about here, have been the same complaints EVERY year, even when EOT was here in Ca.

hud

Archived