SASS Wire Forum

LOCATION? no....SORRY...it's EVERYTHING else....

I enjoy SASS and have done a lot to support EoT, but they do discourage those that help them. Last year I was EoT's official chuck wagon cook and enjoyed it very much. But here is the real kicker, I never got a thank you after the event was over or any mention that I was there and if I did a good job. I was under the impression, from those who consumed all the food, that all liked the stuff I made and the set-up. NOw get this, a week before this EoT I got a call from a major person wanting to know if I was coming. My response was, "since I never heard from anyone for the entire year I assumed they were not satisified with what I did". March 1st of this year I decided I would not do any more chuck wagon cooking because of lack of courtesy from event organizers.

Also, I have never charged for my services and only relied on tips to help pay for food costs. Last year my total cost to do EoT was $2000.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BK,

Hey Brother King is on the board of the Magnificent 7 (classic cowboy) now tell me he ain't Willin?

Nice statement BK ( this is what I would expect from a Classic Cowboy!!

Vance

Bro King - Traffic is directly related to Location...

Location, Location, Location.

Phantom

:FlagAm:

So English, TX is a crossroads event mecca? :wacko::lol:

I too was glad to meet and talk with you B. King, even for a short while. I believe your post is most accurate and I further believe that every person on the Wild Bunch would agree also. There isn't a Wild Bunch member that wants "issues" at the World Championship. I'm left to believe that it is simply a very daunting and enormous undertaking to create a permanent facility of the size of Founders Ranch.

I remember when Winter Range had it's issues year after year. Fortunately they have one of the premier shooting facilities in the country provided to them so that all they have to concentrate on is the shooter. Winter Range has been at the same locations for many years. Founder's Ranch is barely 7 years old. Hell, shotgun target problems at Winter Range is what is responsible for having make up shotgun shots in the rules today. Even at that, it is a state controlled facility that just a few years ago was attempted to be shut down. I may not see it. But, years down the road hopefully Founders Ranch may be the saving grace of Cowboy Action Shooting. After all, how many of the old "lease" ranges across the country that was home to long term matches have went out of existence in just the last 5 years? I remember years ago standing in the rain in South Carolina listening to the Judge tell me of his concerns over the future of losing Raahaagues Ranch and possibly no place for an EOT. He talked about looking far and wide for the kind of location to purchase. How he wished they could find a good place smack dab in the middle of the Good 'ole USA, but that the best affordable land was in New Mexico. This was a good couple of years before they bought Founders Ranch. It was what motivated me to go to EOT in California. Frankly, I left EOT in California saying I wouldn't go back. 1) Just plain too far from Indiana, 2) It was like being in a septic pit, 3) California felt like stepping into a foreign land and to this day I won't cross that border.

With all the "issues", I applaud and take my hat off to the efforts of the Wild Bunch to provide a lasting, for all time, dedicated facility for Cowboy Action that just may be my great, great grandson or grand daughter can walk the bays and shoot the bull with his/her pards, just as we have done.

What is disappointing is the bitterness displayed by many that are far too sanctemonious. Those that choose to condemn without seeing for themselves. Those that expound mountains out of mole hills. There are those that seem to wish that the efforts of the Wild Bunch would fail. Those that feel that way are small and petty and in the cowboy way .....deserve the ROPE!

The thing is, Founder's Ranch is a constantly evolving work in progress..Some things work, some don't..Hopefully they'll learn from the mistakes and eventually iron the bugs out..Hopefully.

With all the "issues", I applaud and take my hat off to the efforts of the Wild Bunch to provide a lasting, for all time, dedicated facility for Cowboy Action that just may be my great, great grandson or grand daughter can walk the bays and shoot the bull with his/her pards, just as we have done.

What is disappointing is the bitterness displayed by many that are far too sanctemonious. Those that choose to condemn without seeing for themselves. Those that expound mountains out of mole hills. There are those that seem to wish that the efforts of the Wild Bunch would fail. Those that feel that way are small and petty and in the cowboy way .....deserve the ROPE!

MM, it was nice to have the chance to meet you as well. Thanks for reaching out, it meant a lot to me and I need the encouragement to do better!

I couldn't have said this better. We must all be mindful of the gift the WB has provided and the vision, effort and investment that has been required to provide for the future of SASS. It's quite a legacy to be sure as well as a remarkable purpose that not many would have been brave enough to pursue. We're blessed for being able to have such a place.

My Great Aunt Loma taught Sunday school for almost 75 years. She was fond of saying, "Even Jesus of Nazareth had his detractors. What chance do you think you're going to have making everyone happy?" Like any bidnessman with more than 1 customer I have to remind myself of that everyday and still strive to make the next one happy as well.

It would be a travesty, therefore, to take the OP and make it into a condemnation rather than an observation. I love this game, Founders Ranch, the West, and as my sons said when encouraging me to get into SASS, "Dad, you don't even have to buy any clothes or hats!" I think we're all happiest doing that which we did when we were 10 years old and unsupervised by adults.... COWBOYS,INDIANS AND BAD GUYS! :wub:

The inspiration for the OP comes more from the concern of having watched operators in another love of mine- snow skiing- forget that they're in the entertainment business and become real estate developers. Most have gone broke- from Jackson Hole to Vail- each that have tried have died because the horse-whut-brung-em says "NO" to Portajohns and $80 lift tickets and "YES" to hispeed trams and $100 lift tickets....even if the condos are nice.

Imagine the World Championships with the best bays; great, safe spectator viewing/parking/amenities; tremendous facades; decent entertainment and SOUND; super camping and huge crowds. That was the promise of FR- remember? It was SOLD OUT for the first 3 years... and then did a big belly flop in all categories.... PROMISE and HOPE aren't enough anymore. Nor are wild west shopping malls in place of Wild West shooting. Shooters come to SHOOT first...and yeah we do all like to shop.

The speed at which we climb out of any hole is directly proportionate to the depth we dug it. This year was a big improvement helped by the 30th Anniversary. I hate to see it slip the other way. I doubt it would recover again.

MM, it was nice to have the chance to meet you as well. Thanks for reaching out, it meant a lot to me and I need the encouragement to do better!

I couldn't have said this better. We must all be mindful of the gift the WB has provided and the vision, effort and investment that has been required to provide for the future of SASS. It's quite a legacy to be sure as well as a remarkable purpose that not many would have been brave enough to pursue. We're blessed for being able to have such a place.

My Great Aunt Loma taught Sunday school for almost 75 years. She was fond of saying, "Even Jesus of Nazareth had his detractors. What chance do you think you're going to have making everyone happy?" Like any bidnessman with more than 1 customer I have to remind myself of that everyday and still strive to make the next one happy as well.

It would be a travesty, therefore, to take the OP and make it into a condemnation rather than an observation. I love this game, Founders Ranch, the West, and as my sons said when encouraging me to get into SASS, "Dad, you don't even have to buy any clothes or hats!" I think we're all happiest doing that which we did when we were 10 years old and unsupervised by adults.... COWBOYS,INDIANS AND BAD GUYS! :wub:

The inspiration for the OP comes more from the concern of having watched operators in another love of mine- snow skiing- forget that they're in the entertainment business and become real estate developers. Most have gone broke- from Jackson Hole to Vail- each that have tried have died because the horse-whut-brung-em says "NO" to Portajohns and $80 lift tickets and "YES" to hispeed trams and $100 lift tickets....even if the condos are nice.

Imagine the World Championships with the best bays; great, safe spectator viewing/parking/amenities; tremendous facades; decent entertainment and SOUND; super camping and huge crowds. That was the promise of FR- remember? It was SOLD OUT for the first 3 years... and then did a big belly flop in all categories.... PROMISE and HOPE aren't enough anymore. Nor are wild west shopping malls in place of Wild West shooting. Shooters come to SHOOT first...and yeah we do all like to shop.

The speed at which we climb out of any hole is directly proportionate to the depth we dug it. This year was a big improvement helped by the 30th Anniversary. I hate to see it slip the other way. I doubt it would recover again.

The economy ain't helping much either. Seven Years ago things were booming compared to today. We're coming up on 4 years since the thud heard round the world, and high gas prices, a lousy stock market and scary job front sure aren't ENCOURAGING folks to spend more to get less. These same things make it harder for the powers that be to build anything against the tide of uncertainty. What we NEED desparately are 3 or 4 good years in a row for folks to feel like they got a dime they can afford to spend. Sure, some always have the dough, but ya can only trim the fat so far before ya start bleeding.....

EOT is EOT

i spent more time with brother king than anyone else atEOT this year

we dont see eye to eye, yet we had a blast

I can see why they chose the site

basics of

bout half way in the middle of east and west

Your map of the United States is different than mine.

So English, TX is a crossroads event mecca? :wacko::lol:

One and all are treated like top hands at the Bar 3, everyone there is glad you are there to shoot .T-Boone makes sure there is water up and down the stages all the time, did they do that at EOT ???

I did not go to EOT because of all the bad press in the past if 8 out of 10 say they did not have a good time DAAAAAAAAAAA

If EOT was next door I would not go too, many good places to shoot.............

One and all are treated like top hands at the Bar 3, everyone there is glad you are there to shoot .T-Boone makes sure there is water up and down the stages all the time, did they do that at EOT ???

I did not go to EOT because of all the bad press in the past if 8 out of 10 say they did not have a good time DAAAAAAAAAAA

I didn't mean to slight your home town in the least, Joe Boy, just wanted to observe that you gotta WANT to get to English, TX, cuz it ain't even close to.... TEXAS.

There was plenty of water at every stage at EOT no doubt. The rest is subject to each shooter's interpretation for sure.

It's a shame to miss EOT whether you like the press or not. There is no doubt that 'things' are improving. As observed on another thread on this subject, the World Championships should be the VERY BEST SHOOT IN THE COUNTRY. And, to paraphrase the author's conclusion in the same post, 'you certainly can't say that now.'

But, a top shooter like you should be bringing that End Of Trail CHAMPION buckle to Texas! :D

I didn't mean to slight your home town in the least, Joe Boy, just wanted to observe that you gotta WANT to get to English, TX, cuz it ain't even close to.... TEXAS.

There was plenty of water at every stage at EOT no doubt. The rest is subject to each shooter's interpretation for sure.

It's a shame to miss EOT whether you like the press or not. There is no doubt that 'things' are improving. As observed on another thread on this subject, the World Championships should be the VERY BEST SHOOT IN THE COUNTRY. And, to paraphrase the author's conclusion in the same post, 'you certainly can't say that now.'

But, a top shooter like you should be bringing that End Of Trail CHAMPION buckle to Texas! :D

Kudos to you for saying what others have been thinking.

As for ...."you gotta WANT to get to English, TX"

That made me laugh!

It's true... it's in the middle of no where but you know what?

Folks do want to get to English, TX.... why?

come on... tell me why

That made me laugh!

come on... tell me why

Badlands Bar 3 is my favorite place to shoot. Too bad it is so far away. Until the economy got so bad and gas went up so high, I would make the trip every other month. Did I mention I love that range? Just my 0.02 worth.

Brother King got it right. This was my first EOT after attending WR a number of times.

In addition to what my fellow classic cowboy stated I would add, why have the shooting gallery and other entertainment on bearms that should be used for the match participants. Keep the main stages as close to the parking lot for the shooters as possible! The walk from bay 1 to the car seemed like a 1/2 mile long up hill. Yes we were on the late wave on Thursday and could not start until 2.15 PM. How does the shooting get that backed up? It's never happened at WR.

We finished at 5:30 PM and were constantly told our guns were to be put away by 5:00 ???? Hello, we just finished shooting! One of our pards on the posse had to almost beg for a ride up to the parking lot, being that the ranch is at about 7,000 feet elevation and it was close to 100° and it was up hill and a long way back to the cars.

I still had fun, but given the choice I will be attending WR more often than EOT.

JMHO

TB

Your map of the United States is different than mine.

from edgewood nm

its 814 miles to the big pond one way

1775 miles the other way

guess we should move founders ranch

I stand corrected

this is where I tolt the wild bunch to put founders ranch

http://ludb.clui.org/ex/i/KS3129/

but of course

they did not listen to me

as far as I am concerned

Max Montana makes a great point

Ranges accross this nation of ours are sinking like ships in a storm

Here we have a flegling decated new shooting facility

and

our very own members, are poking holes in the hull

folks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, if you have a friend that went to EOT

ask them to see their shooters book

you will be simply amazed

at what all was offered at founders ranch

That made me laugh!

come on... tell me why

It's all because you're gonna be there, that's why! ;)

I agree..which is why i don't go to EOT any longer..I have shot 7 EOT's

Speaks volumes about the condition that SASS is in now from a business standpoint. A real shame.

Very well said.

Ok, I'm not a competitive shooter, but I've gone to EOT since it came to Edgewood. We usually go the last Saturday of the week long event, and that's what we did this year. Spent some money at a few of the vendors on vintage western clothing, gun parts and food. I've spent several hundred bucks that single day on stuff (once a couple thousand due to a gun purchase). Spent most of the time this year at the mounted arena watching the competition there (Great Fun!!!). I wish there was a better system for spectators watching the various stages and competition back in the town area.

Was it lacking this year? Perhaps. No real headliners for music at the big enclosed stage. Missed the better western acts with professional gun spinning, or a cowboy in tennis shoes riding a buffalo. In the past we had Buck Taylor, Bob Boze Bell and even Hugh O'Brien. Even some of the usual vendors didn't show up. I'm guessing our stellar economic "Summer of Recovery" has them making big money elsewhere, instead of coming to a dusty, dry, smokey, New Mexico.

What would make EOT better? I would like to see better organized access for spectators at the regular competion stages. That is a majority of what the event is about. Let us see that action. Otherwise we're down at the Mounted Arena watching Morning Dove or Miss Kitty popping red balloons. Get some bigger name music to perform. Sons of the Rio Grande were fine, but there's others that may want to show up. Invite some big name TV/Movie actors from the past like Clint Walker (Cheyenne). I paid Hugh O'Brien some money to get my picture taken with him at a past EOT. I'd pay Clint Walker a few bucks to pose with him as well. I have to admit that some of them currently look like death eatin' a cracker, but not everyone can produce a pic of themselves with Cheyenne Bodie!!!!!

Just my humble observations.

Regards,

T.H. O'Sullivan

Black Mesa Ranch

San Miguel County, New Mexico

All vendor sales were down this year (at least all I talked to). Because of the oppressive heat and that nasty blowing sand and dirt, shooters were quick to depart the range after shooting in an attempt to get relief indoors, either RV or Motel. They also didn't come to the range hours before their "shift" for the same reasons. I like New Mexico, but not enough to enjoy the 5 lbs. of it I brought back up my nose and in my shotgun! The weather really sucked!

All that "nasty blowing sand and dirt" is what you are supposed to have in the "Old West". All I didn't see were the requisite tumbleweeds. I walked around there with some of the sand blowing and it was perfect for any Clint Eastwood movie. Could have used more horse sh** on the streets, however.

We have a saying here...don't take any mineral supplements with your vitamins...just open your mouth.

It's all because you're gonna be there, that's why! ;)

Well my friend while that is a smart answer on your part... it's not the answer I was looking for...

The reason folks .....and that includes both vendors and shooters...

the reason folks make the effort to go back to middle of no where English, Texas is because once they get there they are glad they made the effort.

When you are at the Bar 3 ranch you are glad you are there and you know that the folks that put on the match are glad you are there.

So there! :)

Exactly - well put Joe Boy!

Phantom

:FlagAm:

Well my friend while that is a smart answer on your part... it's not the answer I was looking for...

The reason folks .....and that includes both vendors and shooters...

the reason folks make the effort to go back to middle of no where English, Texas is because once they get there they are glad they made the effort.

When you are at the Bar 3 ranch you are glad you are there and you know that the folks that put on the match are glad you are there.

So there! :)

I may have to go this year just so I can see my favorite Complicated Lady, 3rd place winner in the EOT "Parlor Madam" contest. Congratulations!!!

That made me laugh!

come on... tell me why

That's an easy question to answer.

After you get your trailer parked, someone will ask you if you are having a good time. The question is sincere and if the answer is "No" then steps are taken to correct the situation.

I have never spent more than 8 hours at CAC without the question being asked. My answer has always been "Yes, I'm having a good time". CAC is a party where some shooting breaks out. Well presented and well run.

In addition to the water, someone circulates up and down the line with snacks.

My top choices in shoots are CAC and US Open (equal in value with a tip of the beam to US Open because of the facility)

This year I'm going to see if Possum Trot lives up to it's reputation so that it can be added to the top list.

Near the top would be LandRun and for a small shoot, Prince of Pistoleers

T-Boone (T-Bone) makes sure there is water up and down the stages all the time, did they do that at EOT ???

Well, if that was a serious question, yes they did this year. Ice cold. Never ran into an empty ice chest. And on every stage. One of many things done well. Some things done less well. Locals here are working to try to help make some improvements on those things. Sometimes we can, sometimes we can't. Doesn't mean the local CAS shooters don't care about whether fellow EoT shooters are having a good time.

Good luck, GJ

All that "nasty blowing sand and dirt" is what you are supposed to have in the "Old West". All I didn't see were the requisite tumbleweeds. I walked around there with some of the sand blowing and it was perfect for any Clint Eastwood movie. Could have used more horse sh** on the streets, however.

We have a saying here...don't take any mineral supplements with your vitamins...just open your mouth.

Good one! :lol::lol:

And actually I did have to dodge a few roadapples walking through town, as well as a bit of longhorn kaka..Just added to the ambience, IMHO.. B)

I've only been living here since last October, but I've been told by the old-timers this has been the windiest season they can remember, it's usually died down by now..Don't help with the fire danger, fer sure! :huh:

I dabbled in the vending game on the Buckskinning circuit back in the late '80's, and it's my observation that the state of the economy has everything to do with vendors doing well at events..And right now the economy is in the toilet..I heard someone say shooter attendance was down at EOT this year as compared with years past, and apparently the ones who did come were really watching their $$..I bought less "stuff" this year at EOT than I've ever bought at any major CAS event since I've been playing this game..And it wasn't because I didn't see anything I wanted-Quite the opposite actually..We were splurging simply to be able to attend, and I'm betting there were a lot more folks in the same boat.

That's an easy question to answer.

After you get your trailer parked, someone will ask you if you are having a good time. The question is sincere and if the answer is "No" then steps are taken to correct the situation.

I have never spent more than 8 hours at CAC without the question being asked. My answer has always been "Yes, I'm having a good time". CAC is a party where some shooting breaks out. Well presented and well run.

In addition to the water, someone circulates up and down the line with snacks.

My top choices in shoots are CAC and US Open (equal in value with a tip of the beam to US Open because of the facility)

This year I'm going to see if Possum Trot lives up to it's reputation so that it can be added to the top list.

Near the top would be LandRun and for a small shoot, Prince of Pistoleers

Noz! you won't be disappointed at Possum. Glad you're plannin' on joinin' the festivities.

You're right about CAC and the Open. Last year they were for me, two of the worst shooting matches I've shot and I had as much fun as you could possibly have and not get arrested. It's all about the shooters and guests, and getting the vendors visited and promoted.

These matches grow despite outside influences because the promoters, (and they really promote) never lose sight of the ultimate outcome. You cannot make everybody happy all of the time, but you can show that you care and do your best to see that they know they are appreciated and that their concerns are addressed.

POP is a prime example. I encountered some things there that I felt were worthy of critique and brought them to the attention of the MD. "Wow! That is a problem. We just never had anyone point it out," he said, and went on to say that they would work on the issues for next year. I trust that they will, and I'll be back!! :)

That's how it's done!!

Archived