SASS Wire Forum

BUG OUT!

Howdy all,

Well, it's been an interesting week..We had a GREAT time at EOT, had fun, stayed safe, but I shot WAYYYY too slow in order to try and win the coveted clean match award (That one bit me in the keister, ONE DADGUMMED MISS out of 13 stages, since I got to shoot one twice due to a timer malfunction-Stage 11 got me! :angry:) But I did get to shoot a Gatling Gun, as well as ride shotgun on a real stagecoach..Posse 31 was THE BEST, great group of folks to shoot with, the Classic Cowboy dinner at Papa Felipe's was fantastic (Thanks again, Ghost!) The Wild west show on Friday night was something to see as well, I also made some new friends-PRICELESS!

Rode down to Acoma to see the Doobie Brothers concert on Saturday night..They took the stage with a magnificent sunset as a backdrop and ROCKED OUT! B) Tom Johnson, Patrick Simmons, and the rest of the group still got it..I felt 20 years old again! :D

THEN...Reality set in.. :huh:

We drove back up Hwy 14 Sunday afternoon and I spotted smoke to the north..Thought to meself, "That looks like it's close to home, and it looks BIG!"..Didn't say anything to the little lady as I didn't want to worry her..By the time we got to Santa Fe it was painfully obvious my fears were correct, when we hit Los Alamos we could see the flames on the ridge above town..Evacuation was voluntary at that time but I have some fairly valuable guitars with me and I didn't want to get woke up at 2:00 in the morning and told I had to grab a change of clothes and haul butt..SOOOO, we loaded all the best and most sentimental stuff in the truck, and shagged it back to Santa Fe..Upon getting to town I discovered I had left my Colt main match pistols behind-ARRRGH!

We booked back up to L.A. late this morning and I retrieved my pistolas, as well as a few other odds and ends we had forgot..By this time the smoke was like fog, and the air was full of ash..About a half hour after we left evacuation became mandatory.

We're safe at a hotel in Santa Fe for now, but Bandelier is burning, and things ain't looking too good for Los Alamos either..I still got some gear back at the apartment, but there's a lot of good folks that may lose their homes and everything they have, so we're among the lucky ones, IMHO..

I kinda figgered this would happen eventually if it didn't rain, it's actually a credit to people being careful it didn't happen sooner..Would appreciate it if Y'all could keep the Los Alamos hilltopper folks in your thoughts.. :unsure:

You will be in my prayers for sure tonight... DV

Thinkin' 'bout y'all. Be safe and take care of you and yours. Hope it rains for you soon and all are spared.

We are praying for all you folks up there and if we can help please let us know. So far we have been spared down here, but the fireworks stands are open for business (I don't know why but they are) so Lord willing we'll get some rain soon! Vaya Con Dios!

Will do pard. We've certainly had our share of those this year.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2011/05/27/possum-kingdom-rising-from-ashes-of-pk-fire/

Hope everything turns out (relatively) OK.

JHC

Thanks for the kind words, my friends..It's still touch and go right now, hopefully they'll get a handle on it if the weather will cooperate..Like I was saying, it's a miracle there aren't more fires than there are considerin' how dry it is out here!

The latest reports say it was a downed power line that started this one..The first reports only stated it had started on private land..I had assumed someone was doing something stupid.. :angry:

Speaking of stupid..There are fireworks stands set up all over the area for the 4th..Now I love watching fireworks as much as anyone, but to be setting off fireworks in the conditions we have here right now is out and out insanity, IMHO.. :wacko:

I do apologize that I didn't get by to say hello Miz Rocky, I was looking forward to meeting you in person..I never did see where your haircuttin' place was..So much to see and do, and so little time to do it in..By the way, congratulations on your win at EOT! :D

Here's the latest, Pards..

It looks like Los Alamos is going to be reasonably safe (So far)..But we aren't going to be allowed back in till next week at the earliest..That's OK with us, I don't particularly want to be breathing the smoke from the area..Breathing any smoke is not good for anyone, and who knows what the vegetation around the area near the labs may be permeated with! :blink:

There's some poor folks up in Cochiti Mesa and some of the other outlying areas that basically had to cut and run for their lives when the fire first started, most of them lost their Homes, belongings, everything.

I have a tiny rental apartment in Los Alamos, I took my most important material belongings with me when I bugged out, and we found a good deal on a motel room in Santa Fe, so we're not having to sleep on a cot in one of the "refugee shelters"..

As I said in my OP, we're among the lucky ones..My Wife is here with me, and that makes ALL the difference in the world! :wub:

Since we can't do anything else for the time being..We decided to simply extend the vacation as best we can..I'm actually feeling more rested than I have in months!

As for the fireworks, apparently there's a lot of folks that feel the same way I do..The two big grocery store chains hereabouts have pulled all the fireworks off their shelves..Most of the roadside fireworks stands have been closed down by either the proprieters themselves or the landowners of the properties they were set up on..Good to see there's still some common sense left in the world!

Of course, all it takes is one idiot with a roman candle to cause a disaster! :unsure:

Hey Doc,

Sorry to hear your holed up away from home. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help as I'm only about 45 min. south. If nothing else you can come back to the Ranch and shoot with the Buffalo Range Riders on Sunday.

PS You really missed out not seeing Miss Rocky!!!

Your Pard

Ten High

I spoke to my sister in SantaFe today and she said that she just had a few sprinkles of rain to lay the dust so perhaps you will get a bit of what they laughingly call the monsoon in those parts :blink: :blink: :blink: she is in the SE part of town So I do not know how widespread the shower was

Smoke is tougher on folks system the higher in altitude you get so I think staying in SantaFe for a few extra days is likely a good idea

Howdy All,

I finally got in touch with the Facility Manager yesterday and it don't look like I'll be going back to work next week..He released me from duty so I could go home (to N.C.) early..That's GREAT news..The wrinkle is Los Alamos is still "closed" and I need to get back to my apartment and pack (re-pack?) before I can leave to go east..Dangit! :wacko::lol:

Thanks for the offer Ten High..If we get in a bind I'll PM ya..Shootin' at FR tomorrow sounds like fun, but I left what ammo I had leftover from EOT up in L.A..Again, Dangit! :lol:

Appreciate Y'all's thoughts and support..Y'all have no idea how much havin' the support of my Cowboy and Cowgirl friends helps right now! :blush::D

Archived