SASS Wire Forum

Help me W/ my new old 1897

I broke down my new old 1897 to give it a through cleaning, check everything out, and polish stuff.

I also did a bit of rust removal in a few areas, very light so that went quick.

Anyhow, I am stuck getting it back together, the carrier will not go in. I am sure I am missing something. It came out O.K. and was tight as it came out. Now it is not so tight and stops before going into the frame. Feels like metal against metal.

So is there s secret I need ta know to get back in?

Also, where does the action slide lock pin go, seems I did not pay attention to that....

Thanx,

JJJ-D

:ph34r: :ph34r:

You need to buy "Winchester 97 takedown guide," by Radocy. 800-3564759. I forgot if I bought it thru Brownells, I know someone knows where to get it.

Lot of parts in the 97. It goes in with the hammer cocked, not down. Lighten the main spring screw.

I have a theory that if you disassemble two model 97 shotguns at the same time with a little luck you will have three of them when you finish reassembling them!! :blink:

Thanx to those that have replied and especially to to Big Jake who spent some time on the phone with me.

With his help I got the bolt in just fine, was trying to put hook pin in the wrong place.

STILL can't get the carrier in. It goes about 1/2 way and then stops. Same metal to metal feel...

Something is hitting something.

I'll bring the gun to our 4th of July shoot and I'm sure I will get it finished, and it will be something simple I am sure....

JJJ-D

JJJ, take a look at Marauder's disassembly diagram here 97 disassembly/reassembly. Go to the further disassembly page.........did you reinstall the carrier stop screw before trying to install the carrier? If so, take that screw out and you should be good to go. PM me with your phone # if you want and I'll give you a call as soon as I get the PM.

CS

We I have had progress before the BIG MESS......

What was holding the carrier back was the action slide on the forearm was sticking up as I laid it on its side.....

Once I adjusted that everything went just fine. Screwed everything up, and it WORKED!!!

For 2 cycles anyway....

Then the action slide hook would not engage the bolt/ hook and bring it forward.

Messed with it a while then took it apart again and rechecked everything. Looked O.K.

Put it back together, and it did the same thing.

Took it apart again, and then went to put it together again. This time the rear of the carrier went way high toward the stock and got stuck.

Tried to get it out again and it would not budge. Long story short, the bole slid backwards and the action hook was not screwed in, looks like the small raised ridge on the hook has slid into one of the channels on the side of the carrier cuz it was too high. It is wedged in, the bolt and carrier will slide back and forth but the carrier will not come out, it seems to be locked inside the frame.

I know this is gonna cost me big time..... I knew there was a reason I didn't own an 1897.....

JJJ-D

now ya remember why it is called "a 97" right????(ninty seven ways to break)

I am not sure why I bought that relic from hud, except that it was cheap enough that when (not if...) it breaks down I will just S$*% can it and go back to my doubles...

good luck

curley

now ya remember why it is called "a 97" right????(ninty seven ways to break)

I am not sure why I bought that relic from hud, except that it was cheap enough that when (not if...) it breaks down I will just S$*% can it and go back to my doubles...

good luck

curley

Patience is a virtue......

I have gone back 3 times today trying to make some progress on this MESS...

A good friend came by this afternoon and I showed her what was going on....

low and behold the action arm connected and the bolt opened....

Looks like to the gun will go together again, now to find out what is causing the trouble....

JJJ-D

Patience is a virtue......

I have gone back 3 times today trying to make some progress on this MESS...

A good friend came by this afternoon and I showed her what was going on....

low and behold the action arm connected and the bolt opened....

Looks like to the gun will go together again, now to find out what is causing the trouble....

JJJ-D

What can I say.. I am magic.. lol.. Just a touch from me cures all your gun problems.. Oh, gosh did he mention i saw him naked from the waist up, and he shaved in front of me, and then I was magic? lol.. okay fine.. guys your photos are needed before I can be magic.. lol just kidding .. Now do I have to shoot the darn thing too?? lol See ya at the reloading table brother.. lol

:blink:

TMI

:blink:

TMI

EE's there are few times that I get to "pick" on someone.. lol.. This is my time. lol... So don't be surprised.. i would toss you under the wheels of the bus too.. lol Wife, kids and all.. lol

What can I say.. I am magic.. lol.. Just a touch from me cures all your gun problems.. Oh, gosh did he mention i saw him naked from the waist up, and he shaved in front of me, and then I was magic? lol.. okay fine.. guys your photos are needed before I can be magic.. lol just kidding .. Now do I have to shoot the darn thing too?? lol See ya at the reloading table brother.. lol

Gee, nothing like putting gas on the fire......

Off ta fix sprinklers, and get wet,

Shotgun still needs work,

Later.

JJJ-D

:ph34r::blink::ph34r:

Gee, nothing like putting gas on the fire......

Off ta fix sprinklers, and get wet,

Shotgun still needs work,

Later.

JJJ-D

:ph34r::blink::ph34r:

Just helping the rumors along! Have fun...

Wow........ beautiful and knows how to fix a 97 :excl:

Are you single and do you have a boat? :lol:

Just kidding ya Deja :D

Wow........ beautiful and knows how to fix a 97 :excl:

Are you single and do you have a boat? :lol:

Just kidding ya Deja :D

I know you are.. but I hijacked JJJ's thread.. so pardon me while I become a wall flower.. or a plant or something.. lol bye..

SXS!

Way to go Deja!

Excellent arti Prof.!

JJJ good luck!

Tanners.. Give Cinder Ella a hug for me.. and give JJJ's a response.. I high jacked his thread.. never meant to do that.. but I did mean to toss him under the bus.. lol He had it coming after his cigar post.. you know... I play rough.. lol

JJJ,

PUT THE GAS CAN DOWN< STEP AWAY FROM THE FIRE :o

I warned him about playing with me and the cigar pictures... lol.. I do play very rough.. lol.. Boo.. lol

It was worth the price...

JJJ-D

:ph34r::ph34r:

Hmmm guess I am not done yet then ... lol

Archived