SASS Wire Forum

Gunsmithing questoin, Iver Johnson Owls Head

Oddnews SASS# 24779

To the fire -- I have an old Iver Johnson Owl's Head in .38 S&W. I've not used it a great deal, but it locks up tight, and until recently it had always functioned correctly.

Now it's developed a problem, it will no longer hold at full-cock reliably. Double action function is OK. It appears the separate sear for single action doesn't lock all the way into place and even when it cocks, it's only barely locked -- a sharp jolt will make the hammer fall.

My theory is that the sear spring is weak and should be replaced. This problem developed after a long period of storage, but the revolver is in no way rusty, and it was functioning perfectly when it was stored, so the problem isn't a result of wear. I'd like to hear the advice of someone who is more familiar with the old Iver Johnsons as to a course ahead. I'd like to keep it around for pocket-pistol side matches.

Thanks in advance.

Howdy

I tend to doubt it is the spring, I would lean more towards wear on the sear, or full cock notch, or both.

If you think it is the spring, try this test. Cock it, then holding the trigger forward, to simulate a strong spring, see how well it holds full cock. If you push forward on the hammer, and it falls, while you are physically holding the trigger forward, I would lean more towards wear at the sear and/or full cock notch.

A well shaped full cock notch and sear have a slight positive angle to them. Even with no spring pressure at all from the trigger, the sear will tend to wedge itself into the full cock notch. If this gets worn over time, eventually the only thing holding the sear in place will be the spring, but the sear should stay in place all by itself.

Thanks -- I'll give your test a try. I intially dismissed wear because the gun was functioning fine before it was stored. Like a lot of older revolvers, this one has a sear separate from the trigger, and that's wear I was guessing the problem would be found.

Thanks -- I'll give your test a try. I intially dismissed wear because the gun was functioning fine before it was stored. Like a lot of older revolvers, this one has a sear separate from the trigger, and that's wear I was guessing the problem would be found.

Also try cleaning it real good. I've had several of these that were gunked up from long tern storage and would not hold a single action cocked position. A spray can of gun cleaner and subsequent oiling brought everything back to life, and function became normal. It's worth a try before disassembling everything.

As Preacher Clint said, a good cleaning (might) be the fix. I would look at the sear angle and refile the hammer notch or trigger sear until it restored the single action to a safe pull. I do Gunsmith work on Cowboy guns. Just sayin'

Big Jake

This class of guns (IJ's, Hopkins and Allens, H&R's, and Forehands) are notorious for being very sensitive to the cylinder pin being pushed in too far or not enough. I like these little guns, but never fix them due to it being cheaper to buy another than typical repair costs run. They can be often bought for $100 or less. I shoot them until they will not reliably or safely go anymore and then I buy another. I keep old ones for parts. They are great pocket guns.

FWIW: The .32's are actual .32's (.311-.312 diameter) but the .38 S&W are .360". Loading .357" or .358" bullets may result in consistency issues. The .32's are usually on the same frame as the .38's making them have more material around the smaller holes for increased safety.

As Preacher Clint said, a good cleaning (might) be the fix. I would look at the sear angle and refile the hammer notch or trigger sear until it restored the single action to a safe pull. I do Gunsmith work on Cowboy guns. Just sayin'

Big Jake

DO NOT FILE sears or sear notches!!!

If you must do anything, STONE them with a FINE stone. At that, be carefull with even the stones, as what hardening (if any) is on these parts is sometimes very thin. If you cut thru the hardening, the parts will wear out the more quickly.

Archived