SASS Wire Forum

The kids first day solo

So, my youngest works for Great Plains (the local Coke bottler) here in OKC. After a year of part time in the warehouse he finally got a job as a driver on the Red Route. This is the one driving the lowboys around the state delivering to stores and gas stations. Well, he took hist CDL test on Friday and passed so this last Saturday was his first day solo.

What a way to start! 408 cases on board and 17 different stops with some out over 60 miles away. The short of it was after he left at 4:00 AM he did not get home until 9:30 that night. A nice 16 hour first day solo in 102 degree heat. There wasn't enough left of the kid to wring out when he got in the door.

I know I used to have a job that required me to work like that. Heck, when my brother and I were hauling hay in high school all our days were like that. But, sheesh! I am so happy that my current job is very dependant on a comfortable chair and telephone.

So, here is to paying those dues that we have all had to pay.

PS: Gonna be above 100 all this week here in OKC. Keep ole Alex in your prayers, and his co workers as well, as they fight the heat this week.

The company is really good about having plenty of water on board the trucks for the drivers. Trust me, there are times you really don't want an ice cold bottle of Coke.

...... personally, I don't/won't drink coke ....... unless it's the ONLY thing available, ... and then I gotta pinch my nose off so's I cain't taste it ........ :wacko:

................ I ain't too fussed with water neither ..... <_<

Good of your boy to handle that. Builds character. I give him five Badger attaboys.

Can't get more than that. :)

Easy for me to say, sitting here in a cool room with 61 degrees on the thermometer.

Archived