SASS Wire Forum

Kinda OT, But Shooting Related

From what I've read about the 5.7 FN, it seems like an ideal close-in home defense round - low recoil, no over-penetration, and high capacity in a limited grip frame.

Biggest problem is that at over $1,000 the FN pistols are rather pricey.

Anybody know of a more economical alternative manufacturer?

No over-penetration?

I have put 197s clean through 4 inches of heavy wood.

I heard one of the manufacturers was going to make a revolver for the round. Don't know what happened to that plan

Wyatt

Yeah- Penetration is what the round was designed for. The design parameters were a handgun round that could penetrate Russian helmets at 100 yards. Of course, the armor piercing rounds are not available to civilians. Other than the FN 5.7, the P90, and some AR uppers, I don't know of anything else chambers that round. I thought about getting one for awhile, but didn't want to deal with reloading the bottleneck case.

You're better off with a 45 acp as far as over penetration goes.

I would strongly recommend some more research. What little anecdotal info is out there regarding use against people seems to be restricted to the military and involves the P90 PDW and the firing of bursts.

There does not seem to be anything there regarding the pistol and the only ballistics I could find on a quick search for the pistol was a 40 Hornady V-Max at 1700 fps. I also have not heard of any US law enforcement agency adopting the 5.7 pistol as a duty weapon. Absent more definitive information, personally I would not choose to be the test bed for currently unproven technology.

On edit: I was aware of the Secret Service using the P90 PDW, but excluded it as they were using the P90 with ammo not available to the rest of us. I forgot completely that the POS used a 5.7 pistol at Ft Hood.

I also have not heard of any US law enforcement agency adopting the 5.7 pistol as a duty weapon.

The Secret Service is using the P90 and 5.7 pistol, but they are using it specifically for it's ability to defeat body armor (with AP rounds). I haven't seen comparisons between the 5.7 and other pistol calibers against soft targets. I'd be interested in a comparison of the 5.7 vs. the .45; small and fast vs. big and slow.

I agree with J Bar- A shotgun is the ideal home defense weapon. It's tough to beat a 12 gauge with No 1 buck at short range.

I would strongly recommend some more research. What little anecdotal info is out there regarding use against people seems to be restricted to the military and involves the P90 PDW and the firing of bursts.

There does not seem to be anything there regarding the pistol and the only ballistics I could find on a quick search for the pistol was a 40 Hornady V-Max at 1700 fps. I also have not heard of any US law enforcement agency adopting the 5.7 pistol as a duty weapon. Absent more definitive information, personally I would not choose to be the test bed for currently unproven technology.

Here is some more info on the 5.7 x 28..........5.7 x 28 info

Captain,

I have one and really like it alot. Great shooting gun, never had a malfunction with it at all. You might want to check around, I didn't pay anywhere close to $1,000 for the gun NIB. It comes with 3 - 20 round mags, hard case and other items. One thing though, if you thought the gun was pricey........check out the ammo prices.

I understand that there is after market 30 round mags made for the pistol also.

CS

Accuracy is excellent and it is a low recoil pistol. HOWEVER, one has only to look at the Ft. Hood massacre to discern that survival rate from this round is quite high.

I'm not their biggest fan, but you could get 2 Glocks for the same price.

And yes, it is used by the Secret Service, particularly by females. I don't think you'll be able to obtain their ammo though.

If a high cap plinker dinker is desired, I'd go with the 30 round kelTec 22mag.

Recalled......due to keyholing....may not see it again.........barrel looks like a Bic Pen. If you gave me one I would sell it

Wyatt

Here's a pretty good study on over-penetration of common ammunition. Makes for an informative and interesting read. Self Defense Ammo

From what I've gleaned from other sites the 5.7 tends to tumble, make a messy wound channel, and on exit only has enough energy left to penetrate a single ply of 1/2" wallboard.

Here's a pretty good study on over-penetration of common ammunition. Makes for an informative and interesting read. Self Defense Ammo

From what I've gleaned from other sites the 5.7 tends to tumble, make a messy wound channel, and on exit only has enough energy left to penetrate a single ply of 1/2" wallboard.

How far does it penetrate wallboard if you miss your target?

How far does it penetrate wallboard if you miss your target?

Based on these tests => Wallboard & Bullets it seems that the Hornady V-Max bullets (which the 5.7 is loaded with => 5.7 Ammo) are a good choice for urban dwellers who don't want to accidentally shoot their neighbors three doors down. These guys here at the FN Forum did some caliber-specific tests => 5.7 Gelatin & Wallboard and found good wound characteristics and minimal collateral damage.

For apartment or condo dwellers it seems a good choice. Probably also good for a regular homeowner who isn't too handy at patching drywall.

Archived