SASS Wire Forum

Lonesome Dove.. Are you watching?

Deja Vous

Only because my mind is not on sleep.. gosh what is new??? I am watching it tonight.. If you can't sleep then a western comes to mind, right? lol... I am at the snow storm, cattle drive footage.. pretty cool.. Poor Gus.. my favorite character.. he never gets his woman but he is pretty cool... question is why? What is it that makes him feel he is not worthy of a normal life? Hmmm.. the writer is my guess.. lol.. silly writers.. But to me Robert Duval is a cowboy and so darn cool.. but he is next to Sam Elliot, cuz Elliot is more like a cowboy in the fact that he know what the heck to do with women at least.. lol.. Duval, while he is cool, comes across as having the confidence of a 3rd grader in the romance department.. lol.. Of course it is the fault of the writer as in realk live, Duval has no real problems with that. Still I love this soft spoken ways, humor, and compassion with a justice flair to it all.. Fine,.. I am bored.. lol

Deja, IMHO, you are looking at Gus the wrong way. He charmed the pants (literally) off the women he wanted, but didn't have a lasting relationship with any of them because he couldn't. Tying him down to one woman and a home would be like bottling the wind. He HAD to see what adventure was around the next corner, it was simply in his nature....

Remember Gus did marry after Clara took up with that Allen fellar. Gus' wife died after a couple of years. But Gus was a rake and rambler as Clara knew him to be.

Ms Deja, Gus was my favorite character. He was the life of the party.

Rank heresy, I know....

But I simply can't stand watching this "movie"; I hate all TV mini-series; they drag, and drag and drag...like they had 12 hours to fill, so they took a good story and threw in a bunch of sawdust to fill it out...get to the point, already!

That said, there are parts I just love - the long distance Henry shot from behind a dead horse; the Saloon scene with the pistol-whipped bartender; but not enough to overcome the Drag!

Fast forward as needed.....

LL

I really like Lonesome Dove and all the sequels but I have it on DVD, can't stand watching the commercials. I'll watch it when I want, thank you. Rye :)

I am that way about Open Range. My wife will not watch it with me because I keep saying the lines.

I think the scenery is the big thing about Open Range. It is sooooo, well, OPEN.

Charlie shooting the mirror in the bar is one of my favorites.

I was watching last night also. I had to go look up when it came out and (even though I had a rough idea) could not believe it was 1989 when it was broadcast. You also have to explain to some rookies (that have not seen it) that is where the Gus crease came from. Also a lot of good aliases came from it also. I did not care for Rick Schroeder (really anything he was in), Danny Glover has been good in everything he did (that was some crazy seated pants he was wearing, looked patched). Who is the guy with the eyes that are always blinking?

I really like Lonesome Dove and all the sequels but I have it on DVD, can't stand watching the commercials. I'll watch it when I want, thank you. Rye :)

Me to-

Dont wanna see Gus git shot with arrows then see a asprian curmercial------

We don't rent pigs.

I have Lonesome Dove on DVD and watch it start to finish several times a year. Even so, when it comes on TV I find myself watching. With my limited attention span the commercials give me a chance to flip channels, visit the restroom or kitchen, or whatever.

Have never seen any of the sequels, nor do I have them on DVD, probably need to add those to my collection. I have a birthday coming up in August maybe I should plant that seed...

I have Lonesome Dove on DVD and watch it start to finish several times a year. Even so, when it comes on TV I find myself watching. With my limited attention span the commercials give me a chance to flip channels, visit the restroom or kitchen, or whatever.

Have never seen any of the sequels, nor do I have them on DVD, probably need to add those to my collection. I have a birthday coming up in August maybe I should plant that seed...

You shud-

Dean Mans walk

Return To LD

Streets Of Larado are all gret!

OK, edited to confess-

That Adrdquette guy in Dead Mans Walk kinda ruins it- He's gotta be the dumbest no tallent SOB ever walked anywheres!

I am that way about Open Range. My wife will not watch it with me because I keep saying the lines.

I think the scenery is the big thing about Open Range. It is sooooo, well, OPEN.

==================================================

One of the guys from my hometown, Albert G., that I hung out with in my misspent youth told me about an incident in 1975 when he was working on a surveying crew in a rough part of east Tennessee. His crew was in a crowded bar knocking back a few cold ones one Friday night, and a couple of the locals got in a heated argument that resulted in both of them being ejected after they cussed out the bouncers for intervening in their private bidness. A few minutes later one of them came back in with a sawed-off SxS shotgun, and in Albert's words, "......there was a mighty roar and that big mirror over the back bar turned into a million shards of glass, and I got cut by several of 'em!"

You shud-

Dean Mans walk

Return To LD

Streets Of Larado are all gret!

OK, edited to confess-

That Adrdquette guy in Dead Mans Walk kinda ruins it- He's gotta be the dumbest no tallent SOB ever walked anywheres!

Don't forget Commanche Moon, although the book was waaay better it's still good. Val Kilmer plays Capt. Skull.;)

We don't rent pigs.

"Well.....cuz a man da will rent a pig.....why.........

He's hard to stop !! " ;)

+1 +1 :unsure:

Deja, IMHO, you are looking at Gus the wrong way. He charmed the pants (literally) off the women he wanted, but didn't have a lasting relationship with any of them because he couldn't. Tying him down to one woman and a home would be like bottling the wind. He HAD to see what adventure was around the next corner, it was simply in his nature....

Well, I sure can't tell you that you are wrong and I am right.. because I really don't know.. lol.. and your way sounds pretty cool I will admit. But to me the character came across like he simply did not understand women and was naive about them. I have yet to meet a man like that.. most of you are born knowning how to get your way with women. And I would hate to believe Gus was getting his way without being decent.. I think cowboys are decent and honest... so I guess to me Gus had to be slow for me to still love his characer. Cowboys are not play boys like city guys are, nor are they commited to being bachelors. When I see t hat I see big city is all I am saying, not small time country. And while I can like them, and be friends with those kinda people they are simply not cowboys, nor can I understand them and don't care too I guess. Not saying they are wrong, just saying I don't get it is all. God didn't make that kinda world I guess in my mind.

Remember Gus did marry after Clara took up with that Allen fellar. Gus' wife died after a couple of years. But Gus was a rake and rambler as Clara knew him to be.

Ms Deja, Gus was my favorite character. He was the life of the party.

I liked Gus and his compassion in the movie. But still, his character would not personify a cowboy to me. More of a gambler kinda city guy...

Robert Duvall is one of my favorite characters, he lives on a ranch, I understand in Virginia. He just seems to be a class guy on and off the screen. Funny thing is, when he was younger I didn't much care for him..... Deja, I kinda think Gus is like the song "Mamas don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys"....

HUH?

Sayin Gus aint Cowboy is like sayin a pig aint pork-

#1 ^_^

I watched it again too.....with my two kiddos piled up in the bed for both nights. That's the way to watch this movie! :)

I still think the thing that "makes" this movie is the relationship between Gus and Call. I think Duvall and TL Jones nailed it. They argue, grump, and fuss at each other throughout, but there's the unsaid, devotion of true friendship in their relationship.

And the banter continues through Gus' death:

Call: "Want do you want legs for? All you ever wanna do is sit on the porch and drink whiskey!"

and

Call (talking about helping Gus write a final letter to Clara and Lorrie): "You want me to help you with that?"

Gus: "What would you know to say to a woman?"

Remember, it's Gus' desire to "chase buffalo" just for kicks the leads to his confrontation with the Indians and his ultimate demise. A "rake and a rambler" (Clara's words) for sure.....and he IS a cowboy....no mistake about that.....

Chick

Didn't he actually shoot the "No Varmints or Vagrants" sign? Best I recall the mirror was just "collateral damage". :lol:

JHC

Yep, he shot the sign alright.

And the mirror WAS collateral damage.

It still makes me laugh just watching the clip.

Yup, it do. You don't know how many times per day I want to do that to the telephone at work! :lol:

JHC

I'd like to do that to my computer at work sometimes. Wouldn't surprise my co-workers at all.

:lol: :lol: I'd like to do that to this computer sometimes, but then I'd hafta deal with the mess! Might be worth it though.:P

Archived