SASS Wire Forum

I am fine.. my Fathers favorite phrase.

Deja Vous

So, just how bad were you anyhow?? lol

I was a pretty good kid really but when I turned 14 I became an idiot fer awhile.One time Mom broke a wooden spoon on me and I laughed, she then threw a cup of chocolate pudding at me, she missed it hit the wall and I had to clean it up before my Dad got home. I was "sassin"" her back and she got pi%$ed off! :lol: Teenage years! ugh!

My Mama, when she was frustrated, would say, normally, either "Hell's bells", or "Christ on a crutch". Never really figgered out what they meant, but it could be that, because of the alliteration, they just rolled easily off the tongue. "Hell's bells" is the closest I ever heard her to cussing.

When one of us boys would go a little far, she would threaten, "I'm gonna tear off your arm and beat you to death with the bloody end". There's still the three of us, so I reckon she never did it, but she surely threatened it a time or fifty.

My Dad had a bunch of 'em.....Charlie-isms we've later come to call them.... :)

One of my favorites: "Boy, I'm gonna stomp a mudhole in your a$$ and then stomp the water out of it if you don't quit......"

My Mom, on the other hand, was calm cool, and simply devastating with: "I'm soooo disappointed in you...."

Chick

I don't know about a phrase, but my dad had a look, he'd raise his eyebrows and look over the top of his glasses. When you got that look you were instantly put in your place without him speaking a word.

==================================================

My granddad had a look like that. If I didn't take the hint that the look implied, the next step was him stepping outside and cutting a switch from the forsythia bush.

Although my Great-grandfather would take me to the garage and use the razor strop on me, he'd normally just say, "get to the garage"... My mom is the one who used to say things like "I'll slap you up to a peak and knock the peak off" or similar to what has been said... "I'll stomp a mudhole in you and drain it dry"... There were so many more that folks at work started carrying small notebooks around to write down all the sayings... they all came from my family...

Vaya con Dios

All my father would say to me was, "Son you did a good job. I am proud of you. Wish I had more sons like you!" Or something like that. :)

:blink:

Well, maybe it wasn't exactly like that.

LOLOLOLOL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My cursin's were in German from my mother, then English from dad when he got home. If I did something REALLY bad, mom would take the wooden spoon out of the drawer and lay it on the counter so it would be ready for dad. I knew I was in real trouble then....... :o

I should clarify this by sayin' my folks cursin's were just that, cursin. No foul language was EVER uttered in that house or the offender, usually my sister, would really get a whoppin. Mom would call me the equivalent of "idiot" "stupid" "dummy" etc. and dad would do the same in English.

Okay.. I need to get busy and post.. but I have one last thing to do tonight.. I need to clear my head so Rat Dog and I are going Cruising.. lol... Just a little ride up to the store for more biscuits... course she will be begging for a burger all the way... Nice night for a Rat Dog riding shotgun.. lol Need to get her a holster and gun.. lol

Got so excited I did a double tap.. opps.

I was a pretty good kid really but when I turned 14 I became an idiot fer awhile.One time Mom broke a wooden spoon on me and I laughed, she then threw a cup of chocolate pudding at me, she missed it hit the wall and I had to clean it up before my Dad got home. I was "sassin"" her back and she got pi%$ed off! :lol: Teenage years! ugh!

Pudding.. lol.. Oh, man I would give a pocket full of gold to see that one.. lol

My Mama, when she was frustrated, would say, normally, either "Hell's bells", or "Christ on a crutch". Never really figgered out what they meant, but it could be that, because of the alliteration, they just rolled easily off the tongue. "Hell's bells" is the closest I ever heard her to cussing.

When one of us boys would go a little far, she would threaten, "I'm gonna tear off your arm and beat you to death with the bloody end". There's still the three of us, so I reckon she never did it, but she surely threatened it a time or fifty.

Isn't it funny how we sort of belived them? lol... My step mom growintg up had us all pretty sure she could rip our arms off.,. lol

My Dad had a bunch of 'em.....Charlie-isms we've later come to call them.... :)

One of my favorites: "Boy, I'm gonna stomp a mudhole in your a$$ and then stomp the water out of it if you don't quit......"

My Mom, on the other hand, was calm cool, and simply devastating with: "I'm soooo disappointed in you...."

Chick

Stop the water out.. lol. Oh gosh, he had some great lines.. lol

Although my Great-grandfather would take me to the garage and use the razor strop on me, he'd normally just say, "get to the garage"... My mom is the one who used to say things like "I'll slap you up to a peak and knock the peak off" or similar to what has been said... "I'll stomp a mudhole in you and drain it dry"... There were so many more that folks at work started carrying small notebooks around to write down all the sayings... they all came from my family...

Vaya con Dios

Have you ever wondered how the sayings, the games, and the humor was all the same across the country back then and TV was not a huge influence when we were kids like it is today. Our folks kicked us out to do chores, or play out of their hair..

All my father would say to me was, "Son you did a good job. I am proud of you. Wish I had more sons like you!" Or something like that. :)

:blink:

Well, maybe it wasn't exactly like that.

Brother BMC's its okay you did take a lot of blows to the head for your behavior growing up.. We don't expect you to recall much.. lol Between that and the moonshine.. heck you are lucky to remember you name.. lol

:lol: :lol:

Sister in SASS you so know he had it coming.. lol

When my kids were in something that involved singing it was "sing pretty"

When it involved playing an instrument it was "play pretty"

now when my daughter shoots I tell her "shoot pretty"

she usually just growls at me

When I get upset I sometimes say "Oh monkey biscuits!"

because well.... ladies don't swear right?

lol.. my step mothers sister use to call out here boys first name and middle name.. sort of like Michael Stanley .. be pretty.. lol.. when i was a child.. Being a yankee as they say,,, it lost is meaning on me.. lol... As i got older,, I did understand it.. she wanted him to be respectful while he was nut.. lol he "invented:" the under the pool water kiss with his girl friend to me.. hey I was a river water kinda hick..lol.. He made me laugh with his southern drawl and his sense of humor and abiltiy to take life slower.. lol.. And I hope I learned a bit from him...

Ladies don't swear??? Apparently you haven't shot with some of the ladies I shoot with, when they miss a target....oh boy, $%#@*& :lol: Rye

"Just wait till your Daddy gets home" resulted in instant visions of doom.

"Damn boy, use your noggin for something other than a hat rack"!

When Dad didn't feel good he was "down in his cruppers"

Otherwise he was finer than frog hair split four ways.

"Just wait till your Daddy gets home" resulted in instant visions of doom.

"Damn boy, use your noggin for something other than a hat rack"!

When Dad didn't feel good he was "down in his cruppers"

Otherwise he was finer than frog hair split four ways.

Yep.. wait until he gets home.. loll... I could not wait as a child so that never worked on me.

Tonight my dad's words were I love you more than life, and always have .. and mine were you know dad I believe in miracles.. and he smiled and said you believed in Santa far too long, hard to tell what you believe in... lol...

I spent the evening trying for humor .... that I am not sure anyone else felt. Prognosis... is not in my genetics.. all I could say is Miracles happen.. plug my ears and hum.. it makes him laugh.. and me too.. lol.. Cuz, laughing makes us closer than anything else does in life. We never have been much to face our "issues" as Rush says.. lol. We simply try to think of the good, dream for the best.. and love for today .. I pray that is enough.

Yep.. wait until he gets home.. loll... I could not wait as a child so that never worked on me.

Tonight my dad's words were I love you more than life, and always have .. and mine were you know dad I believe in miracles.. and he smiled and said you believed in Santa far too long, hard to tell what you believe in... lol...

I spent the evening trying for humor .... that I am not sure anyone else felt. Prognosis... is not in my genetics.. all I could say is Miracles happen.. plug my ears and hum.. it makes him laugh.. and me too.. lol.. Cuz, laughing makes us closer than anything else does in life. We never have been much to face our "issues" as Rush says.. lol. We simply try to think of the good, dream for the best.. and love for today .. I pray that is enough.

Deja... you'll have plenty of company in those prayers.

Deja... you'll have plenty of company in those prayers.

Thanks Curmudgeons... there are so many reason I was called "deja vous" as a kid.. lol.... I was an over and over again kinda kid with sillyness.. I simply hope I can make him smile until he can smile no more... and that I can keep smiling because he expects me to. My father never admited a weakness past his love for his family and wife and friends.. I can not remember him saying anything but "i am fine".. "everything will be fine" .. "you do believe in miracles still don't ya" was my phrase, but he used it after the first time I muttered it when I was about 6... He was the strongest man in our country I thought.. and I guess he still is because nothing stops the fight in him. They gave him 4-6 months today... and he said.. heck.. I heard that before... It was amazing.. if I can have half the grace as my father I would be so proud. I do believe in miracles.. and always will.. until the very end.. I am sure by some miracle he will love a bit longer, so I can enjoy him a bit longer. 4-6... years maybe... I am betting years...

Well, I believe in miracles... they're not always in the form we may want or expect, but they really do happen.

That was a very sweet li'l story, Deja, and I'm sure you'll have your Pop smiling for a good, long time...

Thanks Curmudgeons... there are so many reason I was called "deja vous" as a kid.. lol.... I was an over and over again kinda kid with sillyness.. I simply hope I can make him smile until he can smile no more... and that I can keep smiling because he expects me to. My father never admited a weakness past his love for his family and wife and friends.. I can not remember him saying anything but "i am fine".. "everything will be fine" .. "you do believe in miracles still don't ya" was my phrase, but he used it after the first time I muttered it when I was about 6... He was the strongest man in our country I thought.. and I guess he still is because nothing stops the fight in him. They gave him 4-6 months today... and he said.. heck.. I heard that before... It was amazing.. if I can have half the grace as my father I would be so proud. I do believe in miracles.. and always will.. until the very end.. I am sure by some miracle he will love a bit longer, so I can enjoy him a bit longer. 4-6... years maybe... I am betting years...

We'll pray with you, stay silly with you, keep the faith with you that it will be years.

I talked to dad tonight and as usual he waited until the last minute to tell me the news. On Weds,. they will be taking a look at his prostate cancer's results this time. He made the decision to take alternative treatments after having colon re-sectioning last years. So, of course I am hoping for a good result, and I am taking the day off to spend up the mountain with him and go to the doctors visit with him. But it did make me think today about what we learn from our families. I guess when he says I am fine, it pretty much means it could be worse, but the results are not in, or he doesn't want to burden me with it.. lol... Gosh, at 91 you get to burden me!!!!!!!!! lol.. Tonight when we talked he muttered the famous line, " I am fine" and I knew he was not , but was refusing to accept it.. lol... Guess I do it too, I know my siblings sure do. My brother fell last year, and could not get up because he injured his knees. When the ambulance arrived he said.. "I am fine"..... lol... Uh, sure you are. I suspect their wives know a lot more than I know.. lol... So, I am thinking I am fine until Weds anyhow..

Family Phrases... got any??

Deja, darlin', I have just one little question for you, then I'll keep my peace. You do know what 'fine' stands for, don't you?

"..F-reaked out,

I-nsecure,

N-eurotic,

&

E-motional"*

Just my humble $.02 worth.

Slackwater Jack

* From the movie "The Italian Job", the remake, Copyright 2003.

Deja, darlin', I have just one little question for you, then I'll keep my peace. You do know what 'fine' stands for, don't you?

"..F-reaked out,

I-nsecure,

N-eurotic,

&

E-motional"*

Just my humble $.02 worth.

Slackwater Jack

* From the movie "The Italian Job", the remake, Copyright 2003.

Rotfl.. yeah. .well what can I say. i am a bit odd.. And I am fine.. just fine.. lol... you made me laugh.. and I love doing that ..DV

Archived