SASS Wire Forum

.45 or .357 Beretta Renegade

C.S. Brady, SASS #63699

I know the .45, .357/.38 topic has been debated here before and I don't want to start that up, but I want to buy a Beretta Renegade and need to decide on the caliber. I have pistols in .45 now and my rifle is a Puma 92 in .45. I am new to this sport and after one shoot I am hooked. I would like to improve my speed and feel the 73 would be the best rifle for me to do that with. I handload, so that is not an issue. I really like the .45, but don't have a problem going to a .357/.38 if you guys that have been shooting a long time suggest it. Thank you for your time.

Well.If ya like .45's. And that is what everything else you have is.

That's what I would get.

Speed????? Watch someone like T-Bone shoot his rifle in .45 and then

tell me you can not be competitive.

And asumeing you are OK with the extra cost of the .45's

Then that is what I would get.

That is the only reason I went to .38's. COST. Plain and simple.

At your next local shoot, tell the folks what you are thinking and they will most likely let you shoot their 73's.

The Renegade is pretty similar to the other Uberti made rifles.

The advantage to the 38 is costs and they are just a little more more forgiving on their set up.

You can down load 45s to shoot pretty light. The real advantage of 38 over 45 is the cost of lead. If you practice a lot that can become a factor.

I know the .45, .357/.38 topic has been debated here before and I don't want to start that up, but I want to buy a Beretta Renegade and need to decide on the caliber. I have pistols in .45 now and my rifle is a Puma 92 in .45. I am new to this sport and after one shoot I am hooked. I would like to improve my speed and feel the 73 would be the best rifle for me to do that with. I handload, so that is not an issue. I really like the .45, but don't have a problem going to a .357/.38 if you guys that have been shooting a long time suggest it. Thank you for your time.

The Renegades are a good deal if you can still find one in the $700. range and you can do a little work on it your self. They are short stroked but not very smoothe . I bought a 45 and it didn't like the aluminum carrier . A friend of mine bought his in 357 and changed all the internal parts in his to make it work for him . So if you need to send it to a good gunsmith to do an action job and replace parts you might be better off buying one all ready slicked up from someone that specializes in 73's .

Woodfox

Don't leave the store with a Regagade unless the Dealer is a gunsmith also and proves that he can loosen all the screws. Had to send mine back to the factory because the side plate screw could not be removed and 'neither could the Main spring srew. Both of which are kind of important to be able to get out. I got all the rest out.

Six months ago,I was like you and a new SASS shooter.I had been a competive smallbore rifle shooter in the past and by past experience I knew that if you go to a big match you can almost always find a used slicked up match rifle for sale. I went to the Badlands Bar Three shoot in November and walked around with a sigh that I wanted to buy a rifle. I ended up with a used Cimmeron/ Uberti 1873 race ready rifle in 45LC at a very good price. I also could have bought a two different Uberti 1866's or a Marlin 1894 for decent prices. I reccoment you let it be known in the club you shoot with that you are looking for a rifle,or go to a big shoot like I did and I bet you will come home with a winner at a good price. I also see good deals on the SASS classified website. Good Luck , Have fun.

I have Renegades in 38 & 45. They will need a little work to make them race ready!

I would recommend Slix Springs and somebody that has slicked them up. Great value gun.

If you like big boom of the 45LC then shoot it. I have seen plenty of cowboys shoot them fast. I have also seen lots of cowboys shoot the 38's slow. It's not the caliber as much as the shooter.

This sport is a lot of fun!!

Enjoy it!

I too have Renegades in 45 and 38.......the 38 isn't any faster, at least with me shooting them. All about what you like as far as I can tell.

Archived