SASS Wire Forum

Cowboy guns to grenade launchers...& kilts

Ethan Cord

My buddy John and his son Scott (also my buddy) invited me to go out and do some shooting with Scott's father in law and a few of his friends yesterday. After a somewhat slow start we began our trek out to this groups favorite shooting range. The spot was in the Palm Springs area and although it was only 112 degrees outside it was a DRY HEAT and felt like it was only 125 degrees! :P

The small group of friends turns out to be 13 people. It was an interesting group of folks ranging from a CPA, his wife and son, to active and retired members of a couple of different Sheriff's Depts, a corrections officer, a retired FBI agent, a retired DOJ agent, a guy that has something to do with Predator drones but would not be real specific and couple of normal guys like me. :lol: :lol:

These guys brought out an impressive array of fire power, numerous AR platform firearms, a few sniper rifles one in 7mm mag and one that started life as a Mosin Nagant!! Utah Bob would have found this a curiosity I'm sure! They had a good representation of service style semi-auto pistols in 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP. There were a number of shotguns dolled up for combat usage, a few revolvers and some .22 rifles and pistols. Then I saw the 37mm grenade launcher! It took me a couple of minutes of whining er, I mean asking, but the owner let me pop off a really cool flash bang round of some kind!! WOW what a treat!

As this group settled in for a few hours of shooting I broke out some of my Cowboy toys. I tried out a Springfield Amory .45 I picked up on the SASS Wire a while back and found it shoots very low! It has a very small front site so I guess my plan will be to get a taller GI style rear site. Next I started shooting up some of my mystery ammo in .38 WCF a bunch of which was black powder. A couple folks picked up their gear and moved away from me saying something that sounded like "what in the hell is that stuff?", I just chuckled and said Black Powder! :D

These good folks were willing to let me try out any of their stuff I wanted too, so I felt that I should reciprocate. Over the past few years I have been buying guns, reloading dies, brass and components (mostly here on the classifieds) for a trip I want to take to Africa someday. I let them pop off a few rounds with my .375 H&H mag and the .458 Win Mag. Most folks did not want too shoot a second round! :P :P I think it may have something to do with the 500 grain solids I loaded up!

Out of of 13 shooters it turns out I was the only guy there that reloads ammo. What a great deal for a self proclaimed brass wh@re and the guys were thankful that I cleaned up their "mess!" My tumbler is chugging away under the strain of multiple calibers of once fired brass.

So after a fine afternoon of shooting in a DRY HEAT we wandered over to a place I had never been before called The Tilted Kilt. Amazing food, cold beverages and a waitress that was very easy on the eye wearing............a Kilt of course! B) B)

Free bras is always a good result from a day at the range. :D

The Mosin is a fine sniper platform. Just ask the Nazis.

Grenade launchers are fun...if they're 40mm and shoot HE rounds. :D

Really, free bras?

An even better day. :lol: :lol:

Better would be bra free. ;)

Which takes us right back to the Lassie at The Tilted Kilt!

Other than the heat sounds like a fine day indeed.

Planning on a little outting this coming weekend with my sister and brother in law among others. Between the BIL and me we usually bring out enough firepower to stage a small coup.

My buddy John and his son Scott (also my buddy) invited me to go out and do some shooting with Scott's father in law and a few of his friends yesterday. After a somewhat slow start we began our trek out to this groups favorite shooting range. The spot was in the Palm Springs area and although it was only 112 degrees outside it was a DRY HEAT and felt like it was only 125 degrees! :P

The small group of friends turns out to be 13 people. It was an interesting group of folks ranging from a CPA, his wife and son, to active and retired members of a couple of different Sheriff's Depts, a corrections officer, a retired FBI agent, a retired DOJ agent, a guy that has something to do with Predator drones but would not be real specific and couple of normal guys like me. :lol: :lol:

These guys brought out an impressive array of fire power, numerous AR platform firearms, a few sniper rifles one in 7mm mag and one that started life as a Mosin Nagant!! Utah Bob would have found this a curiosity I'm sure! They had a good representation of service style semi-auto pistols in 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP. There were a number of shotguns dolled up for combat usage, a few revolvers and some .22 rifles and pistols. Then I saw the 37mm grenade launcher! It took me a couple of minutes of whining er, I mean asking, but the owner let me pop off a really cool flash bang round of some kind!! WOW what a treat!

As this group settled in for a few hours of shooting I broke out some of my Cowboy toys. I tried out a Springfield Amory .45 I picked up on the SASS Wire a while back and found it shoots very low! It has a very small front site so I guess my plan will be to get a taller GI style rear site. Next I started shooting up some of my mystery ammo in .38 WCF a bunch of which was black powder. A couple folks picked up their gear and moved away from me saying something that sounded like "what in the hell is that stuff?", I just chuckled and said Black Powder! :D

These good folks were willing to let me try out any of their stuff I wanted too, so I felt that I should reciprocate. Over the past few years I have been buying guns, reloading dies, brass and components (mostly here on the classifieds) for a trip I want to take to Africa someday. I let them pop off a few rounds with my .375 H&H mag and the .458 Win Mag. Most folks did not want too shoot a second round! :P :P I think it may have something to do with the 500 grain solids I loaded up!

Out of of 13 shooters it turns out I was the only guy there that reloads ammo. What a great deal for a self proclaimed brass wh@re and the guys were thankful that I cleaned up their "mess!" My tumbler is chugging away under the strain of multiple calibers of once fired brass.

So after a fine afternoon of shooting in a DRY HEAT we wandered over to a place I had never been before called The Tilted Kilt. Amazing food, cold beverages and a waitress that was very easy on the eye wearing............a Kilt of course! B) B)

So, I will believe the tilted Kilts.. but after knowing you for one great evening of total entertainment.. you need to post photos of the launch.. lol,... You might have dreamt it all.. lol Just kidding ya of course..

So, I will believe the tilted Kilts.. but after knowing you for one great evening of total entertainment.. you need to post photos of the launch.. lol,... You might have dreamt it all.. lol Just kidding ya of course..

Deja, to quote my sons and their friends: Pics or it didn't happen!

I apologize for the crappy iPhone pictures but I think you will get the idea: Ethan's Saturday adventure. aka, Cowboy Gone Wild

I know you believed the part about the Kilts, however some of the Cowboys here probably wouldn't beleive me! :lol:

Someone said Grenade Launcher?

Very cool! I could have used that when I was active with my Sons of the American Revolution chapter.

Archived