SASS Wire Forum

To change the point of aim

spittoon otool

Okay, I needs some help. This concept is over whelming to me! Which way do I move the rear sight on my rifle to make the point of aim lower?

Spittoon

Okay, I needs some help. This concept is over whelming to me! Which way do I move the rear sight on my rifle to make the point of aim lower?

Spittoon

Move the rear sight whichever direction you want the point of impact to move. So if you're shooting high and want to lower it, move the rear sight down.

Spittoon

Spitton--If you raise your rear sight up you will shoot high if you go down you will shoot lower but their is only so much that you can lower it.

Correcting Point of Impact (PI)

The general rule is: to move the point of impact (PI) by moving the rear sight, you must move the rear sight in the same direction you want the PI to move.

While to do the same by moving the front sight, you must move the front sight in a direction opposite to the direction you want the PI to move.

Here’s the Rule

Rear = Same

Front = Opposite

If the PI needs to move to the right, you must move the rear sight to the right or the front sight to the left

If the PI needs to move to the left, you must move the rear sight to the left or the front sight to the right

If the PI needs to move up, you must move the rear sight up or the front sight down

If the PI needs to move down, you must move the rear sight down or the front sight up

Formula

Amount of Error X Sight Radius = Sight Correction Needed

Distance to Target

If you are shooting low, you would replace your front sight with a lower sight, and conversely, if you were shooting high, then you would replace your front sight with a higher sight. Add or subtract the number of thousandths needed to the actual height of your sight and you will have the correct height of the replacement sight.

Example

At 100 yards, your shot is 1" low and the distance between your front and rear sight is M1871 (45-70)=36.375" (38-55)=32.375”

1 inch X 36.375” = 0.01” (45-70) … 0.009” (38-55)

3600”

Since you are shooting low, you would need to lower your front sight by .032".

* For rifles, you measure the front sight height from the bottom of the dovetail to the top of the sight. For pistols you measure the height of the blade only. This is true unless stated otherwise in the sight specifications.

SIGHTS :unsure::blink:

You know Jack, you may be on to something. I'm aware of the front sight but I'm really not sure where it is in relation to the back sight? I get into trouble when a stage has small rifle targets at a maximum distance. Good grief this is as bad as golf!

You know Jack, you may be on to something. I'm aware of the front sight but I'm really not sure where it is in relation to the back sight? I get into trouble when a stage has small rifle targets at a maximum distance. Good grief this is as bad as golf!

Golf, ain't that the game where these anal types knock a little white ball around a pasture and try to hit it in a craw dad hole? And they call us CAS guys weird! :blink::lol:

Golf, ain't that the game where these anal types knock a little white ball around a pasture and try to hit it in a craw dad hole? And they call us CAS guys weird! :blink::lol:

Yeah - and they dress funny and say silly things before they hit the ball . . . . .

Archived