SASS Wire Forum

A good day for stumblin around

Utah Bob #35998

I have to walk each day to get myself healed and back in shape. I usually wear out a lot of boot leather anyway so no big deal.

It's just a lot harder now, but no pain no gain, right?

Speaking of gain, I stumbled/limped/lurched across this nice little lithic on my travels.

Made my day. :lol:

Well, it is good to see that you are out and about.

At some time in the future, I am willing to wager that you will be glad that you walked.

Nice find there. Did it say MADE IN CHINA on the back. :lol:

Interesting thing on the Tube Friday. They had a special on the Lost City of Atlantis and

made a connection between the City and Kennewick man, about 10,000 years ago.

Nice one Bob, what period? The Oldest I have ever found was a Kirk point much like this one dated to about 4000BC and found far out of its normal context believed by the person that dated it to be trade goods

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Russell_Cave_National_Monument_-_Archaic_Period_Kirk_Point.jpg

Glad you're out and moving.

Great find, looks like milky quartz. A friend of mine has found several that were chipped from clear quartz crystal. He says, (I don't know anything about them) that the clear quartz were primarily ceremonial. The only thing I've ever found is what I think is a hoe. It's shaped like a spear point, but about 10 inches long, 3 at the haft, and tapers down to a rounded point. I'm guessing it was used for planting. It's made from slate, not flint.

One time I thought I found an arrowhead, but it turned out to be a fossilized shark tooth. I was actually prouder of that than an arrowhead.

Nice one Bob, what period? The Oldest I have ever found was a Kirk point much like this one dated to about 4000BC and found far out of its normal context believed by the person that dated it to be trade goods

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Russell_Cave_National_Monument_-_Archaic_Period_Kirk_Point.jpg

Could be Archaic but I'd guestimate this one to be Woodland period and probably about 7-800 ad based on what's been found in this area. I'll take it by the Anasazi Museum sometime.

Good to see ya up and around.

Nice find. It might be wise to take it to someone who knows bout such things.

I have to walk each day to get myself healed and back in shape. I usually wear out a lot of boot leather anyway so no big deal.

Speaking of gain, I stumbled/limped/lurched across this nice little lithic on my travels.

Glad to hear your out 'n about UB. My last spinal fusion they went in from the front leaving a 9 in scar. Had to walk everyday whether I liked the idea or not. I totally get the no pain no gain.

Good to see ya up and around.

Nice find. It might be wise to take it to someone who knows bout such things.

I've got some very good reference books and have talked to collectors. The Anasazi Museum occasionally has an expert on staff but what I've found is that a lot of points can be hard to determine sometimes. Even the experts.

Nice point there, UB!

If all goes well, I'll be joining you in the walking regimen unless I hear different tomorrow.

So, pretty much when you are unlucky you are still lucky, right? lol... I am pretty sure I lost that about 100 years or so ago.. lol

:)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

UB, I like that type of head. A working man's blade.

The most unusual arrowhead I have is made of obsidian. What makes it unusual is the fact that I found it in an old woods road cut where rain had exposed it, in a part of Virginia where obsidian is not otherwise found.

The most unusual arrowhead I have is made of obsidian. What makes it unusual is the fact that I found it in an old woods road cut where rain had exposed it, in a part of Virginia where obsidian is not otherwise found.

Almost all of the points here are made of trade stone. Flint, chalcedony, quartz, etc.

The predominant rock here is red and white sandstone. I have a small partial obsidian point that I found a couple of years ago. Dug around for about 2 hours trying to find the other half but alas, it was nowhere around. :(

Archived