SASS Wire Forum

Quality holster maker for SAA

Round Dial too

Last year for one of my wife's "big" birthdays I bought her an engraved Turnbull SAA. It is by far the highest quality gun we own. Before you handle it you can tell the quality. Then you pick it up.....

This year I'm looking for a holster for it. I'd really like to find one of high craftsmanship. I know there are a ton of holster makers out there. I'd really like to find a true artisan. Something that will compliment the quality of the pistol. She prefers the Hollywood/John Wyane style of holster.

Thanks.

Well most Hollywood holsters are mostly buscadero type but JW only wore those in his real early B Western days. There are several makers who do a very good repro of his common holster from most of his films.

Kirkpatrick

El Paso Saddlery

George Livingston at "G&J Leather" did mine and I highly recommend him.

http://www.gandjleather.com/page9.html

Also try Murphy's Custom Gunleather, he makes the kind of stuff you buy once and use forever.

Depending on how quickly you need it, I would say don't overlook some of the leather workers that frequent these boards. I can say my jaw dropped when I pulled the rig E.E. Taft made for me out of the box.

Well most Hollywood holsters are mostly buscadero type but JW only wore those in his real early B Western days. There are several makers who do a very good repro of his common holster from most of his films.

Howdy

Have to agree. The rig John Wayne wore in most of his movies is often called the Duke rig. Not very fancy. A nice high riding rig. Very practical. If you follow the link Utah Bill posted to El Paso Saddlery it takes you right to a page full of Duke style rigs.

For what it's worth, I had El Paso make me a holster for my S&W New Model #3 a few months ago. I am very, very pleased with it. I will probably be calling them up soon to make another holster for my S&W DA44.

Round Dial; As with most I too have my favorite BLACK HILLS LEATHER http://www.bhlstore.com/ let me tell you why. I have had their leather around my waist for about 4 years and they still look good. They are reinforced and lined and hold their shape.

...and while I agree that there are a lot of top leather makers out there that you would be happy with. Rudy Lazano, the owner, will bend over backwards for you and will make a rig just for you. You can take your pick from the pages of rigs on display and change them to meet your needs. ....add a concho, change a concho put a cant or reverse cant to the holster....basically you can talk to him and he will make what you ask for.

My engraved Rugers look great in BHL holsters and I'll bet yours will too. He delivers when he says and is a satisfaction guaranteed kind of guy. When you making a decision....give him a look. Right now he is running a 4th of July special with 20% off normal pricing....

KK

Howdy

Have to agree. The rig John Wayne wore in most of his movies is often called the Duke rig. Not very fancy. A nice high riding rig. Very practical. If you follow the link Utah Bill posted to El Paso Saddlery it takes you right to a page full of Duke style rigs.

For what it's worth, I had El Paso make me a holster for my S&W New Model #3 a few months ago. I am very, very pleased with it. I will probably be calling them up soon to make another holster for my S&W DA44.

UTAH WHO?? :blink:

Probably the highest of the high end makers is

Legends in leather

Beautiful stuff, but it should be for the price.

I have rigs by

Jack at Lone Rider Leather

Photo> Hair-on Cowhide buscadero

This one is by far the most labor intensive with 49 silver conchos and 44 crystal rivits. The belt is 4" wide!

Jack was the only maker I contacted that was willing to use the har-on hide. Turned out awesome!

Matt Whitaker (Kid Cavalier) at Whitaker Custom Leather

Photos> Barbed Wire B-Western

Very cool tooling in a double strong side with shotgun loops on one belt. One belt is worn with the buckle in back.

I have 2 rigs by Rudy at

Black Hills Leather

Black Hills B-Western

Simple but effective....

All are very good quality and ranged in price from $350 to $600

JJJ-D

:ph34r::ph34r:

Many of the guys you will find on the CAS site can produce very artistic 'one offs' that would befit the finest of pistols. You will find that Chuck Burrows frequently visits the site and his work is nothing short of museum quality works of art. http://www.wrtcleather.com/ The problem with asking on general sites is that you miss some of the true artist such as Will Ghormley, leather worker to the stars. Very few leather workers in recent years has had more work appear in so many big screen Hollywood westerns as has Will Ghormley. http://www.willghormley-maker.com/ He frequently appears at the CAS City web site also. http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/board,57.0.html

Alfonso's of Hollywood makes about as good a Hollywood or John Wayne style holster as there is. They are pricey, but really fine stuff.

+1 - I've had Omar make two rigs for me so far - he'll do my next.

Lot's of folks do great work - Omar makes you a holster the way you

want it - and it works and looks great.

A friend just got a Purdy rig - an absolute beauty - top notch - I'm impressed.

I'd have her do a BBQ rig for me - no doubt. For CAS - I have a few El Paso for

general purpose use, but I like Alfonso's for competing in style.

To many artists - not enough time . . .

Shadow Catcher

Well, I might as well toot my own horn here...I make the JW rig...as seen first in the movie HONDO...I also make the rig JW wore in his last movie..The Shootist...Many people are not aware that he (JW) switched his holster style in the Shootist (I also seem to remember an article by Dennis Adler indicating that the gun used in The Shootisit was of USFA manufacture). After watching the Shootist several times I was able to confirm that he did in fact use a different holster style. At any rate I have made numerous JW rigs for the pards around this neck of the woods

Archived