SASS Wire Forum

Norinco 1887 follower problem

Hi

just recently bought a noinco 1887 for Cas here in the UK, voided the warranty by cutting the barrel and stock only for it to develop a problem.

The follower follows a shell out of the mag tube into the receiver enough to stop the lifter from rising, lever from completing its forward motion.

Heres a photo of the problem

http://i445.photobucket.com/albums/qq174/somtec/midland/DSCF5499.jpg

http://i445.photobucket.com/albums/qq174/somtec/midland/DSCF5497.jpg

Any help would be appreciated

Peter

I had a different problem with my follower (it was to small, tilted and bound in the magazine tube) and I turned a new one on the lathe. I measured the angle on the original one and it was not consistent. I put a 45 degree angle on the front of the one I made and it worked like a champ. If you have access to a lathe (which you might if you cut the barrel) you could try cutting a 45 on the old one (my original was pretty thick at the nose) or make an entirely new one. Very simple jobs on a lathe.

I had a different problem with my follower (it was to small, tilted and bound in the magazine tube) and I turned a new one on the lathe. I measured the angle on the original one and it was not consistent. I put a 45 degree angle on the front of the one I made and it worked like a champ. If you have access to a lathe (which you might if you cut the barrel) you could try cutting a 45 on the old one (my original was pretty thick at the nose) or make an entirely new one. Very simple jobs on a lathe.

Thanks Doc

will give it a try, just cant see what should stop the follower from popping out into the reciever.

Peter

The follower has "ribs" that stop it at the rec'r.

There were a couple of different followers made for the China '87s.

Whats the prefix of your guns serial number.

Cheers,

LG

Hi Lumpy

Heres a photo of the follower

http://i445.photobucket.com/albums/qq174/somtec/midland/DSCF5514.jpg

The serial number 0953**3-09-396

Has the same on barrel followed by M

On the left reciever it has NORINCO NR87 12/70 CN 09 DE

Hope that is of some use, any help appreciated as i dont know much on the 87, got it because it looks good.

Peter

Howdy again.

Just put the mag back together after stripping to take a photo of the follower, racked it couple dozen times no probs then out pops the follower again.

So i push it back in and rotate it slightly as i did so, rack it again for a bit then jam, repeat last step push back in and rotate works ok then jam.

Seems to me like the follower works in one position but if it rotates slightly then jam.

Makes me think the follower isnt quite round? looks like it was stamped as opposed to machined.

Dont know if this info is important or not.

Peter

Archived