SASS Wire Forum

Finally got the magazine plug off!

Buckshot Frank

I've had my '73 for about 6 months now, and I never have been able to remove the magazine endcap/plug. I tried the hacksaw blades, but they kept bending. I tried a putty knife, but the plug wouldn't budge. I got frustrated and just left it, until today.

I was cleaning the '73 this morning and decided that it was time to get that plug off one way or another. I figured that if I boogered it up, I would just order a new one. I wrapped the rim of the plug with duck tape, and grabbed it with curved jaw channel lock pliers. It broke free with no problem. The duck tape did a good job of protecting the cap from getting marred. There is one small mark on it, but nothing objectionable.

I was finally able to clean the magazine tube, but there wasn't any of the rust that people say is common. Maybe Uberti changed the spring material or something??? The spring in mine is a bronze color. Anyways- I just wanted to share an easy way to get the magazine plug off, in case anyone else had their's installed by the Uberti gorilla.

I know that the guys who build Uberti rifles put them together with air impact drivers! At least it seems that way.

When I find a bolt or screw that is tighter than tight I coat it with Kroil and let it soak in. That usually helps loosen stuff up.

KQ

Impact driver with a custom ground tip works on mine. I used to work on motorcycles that have steel screws installed in aluminum cases, so I got good at removing things that were stuck.

Archived