SASS Wire Forum

Is this rig legal? You make the call.

Ace_of_Hearts

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I'd call Bob Mernickle @ 1.800.497.3166. I'll bet they would know.

I'll just be it's legal!

Why wouldn't it be legal. Have seen a shooter use it at a major match

Interesting. Just to be contrary...wouldn't the over the shoulder rigs consitute bandoliers? And with the holsters tied down to the shooter's legs, the bandoliers become illegal.

Interesting. Just to be contrary...wouldn't the over the shoulder rigs constitute bandoliers? And with the holsters tied down to the shooter's legs, the bandoliers become illegal.

:FlagAm: That's the way I would read it. You would have to leave the shell loops empty and use a separate ammo belt to be legal.

Perfectly legal. Not a "Bandoleer." Poor choice of models though. I'd have preferred Raquel.

Coffinmaker

Howdy Coffinmaker,

Okay, I'll bite. Why is it not a bandolier? (..."A belt fitted with small pockets or loops for carrying cartridges and worn across the chest.")

It's not a shoulder holster (the holsters generally hang above the waist)

It's not a gun belt (typically worn at or near the waist)

Convince me. :huh:

OK Jack,

Your definition answered your own question. A "Bandoleer" is by definition for ammunition only. "Generally hang above the waist" ...... Doesn't limit a shoulder holster to hang above the waist. "Typically worn at or near the waist" doesn't limit a gun belt to being warn there. Notice where a lot of our competitors wear their gun belt ....... at or on the butt :rolleyes: A gun belt is intended to support a holster of some sort as is a shoulder holster. That they both may include cartridge loops doesn't make them bandoleers.

Coffinmaker

I'm with Ivory Jack on this. Without a note from home (PWB) I would declare it illegal. If not, every Tom , Dick and Harry will be putting a holster on a traditional bandoleer, tying it down and loading from it.

So if this rig would be considered illegal a whole lot of huckleberry rigs would be illegal also which they are not.

You forgot to add that if that Huckleberry rig had cartridge loops it becomes a bandoleer and would be double-illegal! :lol:

Shooter was DQ'd at End of Trail - "Illegal Rig".

Details to follow tomorrow when the family gets back after EOT

The shooter is upset after getting a blessing on it from Hip Shot and Mernickle.

So if I take my gunbelt and sling it off one shoulder it becomes a bandoleer and I can't load from it but hanging the gun from it is ok?

You could load from it as long as it's not tied down.

I can't imagine the rig being comfortable to wear but I would be upset too if Hipshot blessed it and it was then declared illegal. It also wouldn't be the first time a vendor made and advertised something that would be deemed illegal for SASS.

Shooter was DQ'd at End of Trail - "Illegal Rig".

Details to follow tomorrow when the family gets back after EOT

The shooter is upset after getting a blessing on it from Hip Shot and Mernickle.

A blessing from Mernickle???? That would not mean much. Except for asking for a refund from him

if he said it was legal and was not.

Hip Shot?? Ya. I might be somewhat upset. But think before I spent that much, on something that

might be looked at as illegal???

I would have got a ruling from the rules committee in writing to carry with me.

While I admit that its'design might fill a need, I'll say my gut reaction is, "...where there is a loophole, someone will make something that fits thru it."

I would also say that I would rule it illegal for Classic Cowboy. Appears to be of a buscadero design.

And for those that say it "ain't a bandoleer," then it must be a belt.

• Ammo belts must be worn so all ammo is positioned at or below the belly button.

Those ammo loops then make it a "ammo/holster belt" worn over the shoulder. IMO, take off the ammo loops and wear a separate ammo belt at or below the belly button.

So if either the bullet loops, or the holster tie downs were removed, there would be no conflict with the rules?

Yes, IMHO. Or don't load from them. And as Griff points out may never be legal for certain categories.

The idea is to provide a means of carry for those who for whatever reason (surgery, etc) a belt at the waist is not possible. To say that a pard who is physically handicapped so that a standard belt is not an option cannot load from the loops and must wear a separate ammo belt around the waist defeats the purpose.

SASS has always said that we will do whatever it takes for those physically challenged folks to be able to participate.

I got no problem with this rig except for maybe CC and BW. In other categories, it certainly is not going to be any kind of an advantage. I can foresee the day when I might need a rig like this to continue to participate.

I'd almost rather give up shooting than wear something like that.

:lol: I agree, it's legal but butt ugly and goofy lookin'!:blink: Rye

The idea is to provide a means of carry for those who for whatever reason (surgery, etc) a belt at the waist is not possible. To say that a pard who is physically handicapped so that a standard belt is not an option cannot load from the loops and must wear a separate ammo belt around the waist defeats the purpose.

@ ~$1100 I call that capitalizing on a pard's misfortune. Other considerations aside, yes... exceptions to the rules can be granted, that wasn't the question as presented.

According to the mfg's add:

"The Lightning Buck Rig is a very special and unique design. Shooters that have problems wearing any common belt around the waist line or hip bones will appreciate this one. Not to mention it just looks cool."

If that is the intent, then where does this poor fellow carry his shotgun shells?

All in all, that model does have a good looking hatband.

I would call it illeagal. From the shooter's handbook, page 11;

Bandoleers, cartridge belts, and pouches must be of traditional design.

Nothing traditional about this rig no matter what you call it.

I would call it illeagal. From the shooter's handbook, page 11;

Bandoleers, cartridge belts, and pouches must be of traditional design.

Nothing traditional about this rig no matter what you call it.

Well, that doesn't say anything about holsters and gun belts. As I said, I'm interested in more info as to why it was ruled illegal. I still think it's fine so long as reloads don't come from it.

Archived