SASS Wire Forum

Field Day 2011

Grizzly Dave

Anyone working it?

I know there's a few here that know what I'm talking about...

AS in Sarah Palin??? loll

Not that I know of....

Ham Radio Field Day starts tomorrow at noon. Ham operators all over set up stations off the grid using alternative power and have a contest to see how many contacts they can make.

I haven't really ever done anything with it, but tomorrow I'm going to go visit the station that the kids auxillery group of the local Ham club is setting up and working.

Haven't done that in 'bout twenty years. Let my ticket expire a few years back and no longer have any of my gear. :(

A friend in Iowa mentioned Field Day to me this week, I had to check to see if my ticket had expired, it hasn't. Hopefully I'll remember to renew in 2017. Even though I'm not at all active and don't even have an operational 2M rig right now much less HF, I'd like to keep it up. I worked my but off for the 20 WPM code for the Extra. I pretty much breezed thru the theory by memorization without really learning much of it. Don't want to take the tests again :D

Grizz,

I was chattin' on 10M tonight wid a feller down in Victorville, CA,

from up here in WA State :)

I heard others saying they'd talked ta' Italy on 20M! :excl:

I got started using SSB on CB in the 70's.

I wonder if anyone remembers the "X-Ray Club" on lower Ch. 31 :lol:

I talked to Australia twice, barefoot with a Bigstik antenna ;)

Guest Copper Mart

Heard the folks on 2m talking about it last night. I'm not able to take part this year. Did do a bit of the VHF test two weeks ago, though. Gave out grids as I traveled about the NW.

Mart...

N7MX

Wow, kids club had it goin on. maybe ten rigs going with an op and another kid at a computer logging. Didn't know most of the folks, but the couple who runs the kids club has known me since before I was born, so good to see them.

Grizz

W0MOX

It just so happens the "local" field day is being held in the park right next to the dog park.......where our little girl loves to go run. Guess where Uno is???? I'm sure he'll have a report out when he returns. He hasn't been bit by the bug quite yet, but I'm sure it's coming.......

Yep. The Long Beach Hams have a pretty active set-up in Rec Park. 3 Alpha including a GOTA 2 meter base. http://www.aralb.org/Field_Day_information/ Their 40 meter has been working the East Coast pretty regularly. And none of this was onsite before 11 am yesterday (Friday.) Pretty impressive.

Think I've been bitten by the Ham bug: it'll fit in nicely with my disaster preparedness bent. And satisfy my inner Geek.

There's also a great new audio and video podcast on Amateur Radio: Ham Nation. They've even got a segment on Field Day.

73's Y'all.

Our club had to set up at a lower elevation this year. Thar's still snow in the Sierras!!

However, I'm MIA as we are moving to a new home this weekend...little further from civilization and more area for steel tree farm.. :lol:

W6VMT

Archived