SASS Wire Forum

Something I didn't know about the "Duke"

Was watching "Wagon Train" last night with the John Ford directed episode. Was surprised after the credits, that John Wayne wasn't listed as Gen. Sherman, rather Michael Morris, his real name was used instead.

I understand that Ford did this as a favorite for his pal Ward Bond, and also Ford asked John Wayne to make an appearance, thought brief, and dark, but why did he not use his real name? MT

His given name was Marion Morrison I believe.

His birth certificate was listed as Marion Robert Morrison, later his name was changed by his parents after the birth of his brother Robert Morrison to Marion Michael Morrison. MT

Duke never liked the name "Marion" given to him.

His birth certificate was listed as Marion Robert Morrison, later his name was changed by his parents after the birth of his brother Robert Morrison to Marion Michael Morrison. MT

Duke never liked the name "Marion" given to him.

Dont blame him-

I would think that "John Wayne" was under contract at the time with the movie studios that prohibited him from appearing in other productions. However Michael Morris was available ;)

What Dusty said!

John Wayne, Ward Bond, and John Ford.....there are a bunch of funny stories involving the three of these guys:

1. Although John Ford mocked many actors mercilessly (including John Wayne), Bond probably was on the receiving end of the worst verbal punishment from the director (who counted Bond among his favorite actors). At Bond's funeral, Ford walked up to Andy Devine and said, "Now YOU'RE the biggest asshole I know."

2. John Wayne read the eulogy at Ward Bond's funeral.

3. On a hunting trip, Bond was accidentally shot by John Wayne. Bond left Wayne the shotgun in his will.

4. Once while on location, John Ford had a photo taken of himself and John Wayne standing on either side of the rear end of a horse. He sent the photo to Bond with the caption, "Thinking of you".

:lol:

Chick

Archived