SASS Wire Forum

BP and Red Wads

Crusty

While preparing for our state shoot next month I found my stash of Winchester Red wads was lacking--only about 100. So I posted on the Darksider page of The Open Range and Headley Lamar gave me a couple of options (thanks Headley). I also mentioned that I was just about out of REd Wads to a friend of mine who mentioned that he may have some.

He dropped them off today! 250 pristine, never been opened WW Red Wads. The price tag was still on them, $2.99.

When was the last time you found wads that "inexpensive?"

While preparing for our state shoot next month I found my stash of Winchester Red wads was lacking--only about 100. So I posted on the Darksider page of The Open Range and Headley Lamar gave me a couple of options (thanks Headley). I also mentioned that I was just about out of REd Wads to a friend of mine who mentioned that he may have some.

He dropped them off today! 250 pristine, never been opened WW Red Wads. The price tag was still on them, $2.99.

When was the last time you found wads that "inexpensive?"

When you run out again, be aware that Claybuster makes a clone of the old Winchester WAA12R (Red Wad). It is the CB1138-12, and is available from Gamaliels and most of the large component dealers in the U.S. This wad is an exact copy of the Winchester red wad.

RBK

When you run out again, be aware that Claybuster makes a clone of the old Winchester WAA12R (Red Wad). It is the CB1138-12, and is available from Gamaliels and most of the large component dealers in the U.S. This wad is an exact copy of the Winchester red wad.

RBK

+1

RBK

Doubleplusone

I about went into conniptions when my last purchase of reds finally expired and I realized that they were no more; found out about the CB red (which is actually kind of orange), ordered 'em from ... Midway or Graf's, can't remember, and got right back to loading; didn't have to adjust anything on the press.

FWIW, the plastic "snot" that they leave in the bores seems to come out a tad easier than that left by the Winchesters; or maybe I'm using better paper towels, but I seem to use fewer these days.

Thanks for all the replies. The Claybusters will be my next order.

I never worried too much about the "snot." However it does gross out my granddaughters.

Pard, if when you get to loadin' them up and you find you are getting crushing of the hulls, it is because the legs on the wads got brittle and won't bend. That makes for a column height way higher than you wanted. Ask me how I know. :)

I have an unopened bag of new Winchester Reds that I paid $6.95 for about 2 years ago. :( After that, I started using the Claybuster equivalents, but I still have that bag of Winchester Reds. After I went about half way through that Claybuster bag, I started down-loading my BP loads and am now using the Claybuster White wads.

Archived