SASS Wire Forum

What should I look for in a new home computer?

My home computer is getting long in the tooth and is beginning to show signs of impending failure. My DVD drive has quit working and I am betting my power supply is not far behind. I am maxed out on memory and it is still slow. I am thinking of just replacing it instead of trying to patch it together. (I had to replace a DVD drive in an identical computer purchased at the same time several years ago.) My computer is now 5 years old or maybe a bit older.

I am not a computer person and would like to know what features are important and what is just fluff-I would like to be able to use it to stream movies to my television, but that is not an absolute. Without telling me everything about computers, can someone tell me what I really NEED to know before purchasing a replacement?

Qty Product Description Price

1 DISCOUNT FOR AUTOADD #32061 -$6.99

. 1 SONY Black Blu-ray Burner SATA BD-5300S-0B - OEM

Item #: N82E16827118050

Standard Return Policy $99.99

. 1 GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD5 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Item #: N82E16813128509

Standard Return Policy $189.99

. 1 Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Item #: N82E16822136284

Standard Return Policy $84.99

. 1 CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B

Item #: N82E16820145347

Memory Standard Return Policy $179.99

1 Optical Quantum 25GB 4X BD-R 5 Packs Disc Model OBBDR04LT-05

Item #: N82E16817607053

Consumable Item Refund Only Return Policy $6.99

. 1 EVGA 012-P3-1571-KR GeForce GTX 570 HD w/Display-Port (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support ...

Item #: N82E16814130613

VGA Standard Return Policy $339.99

. 1 AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Thuban 3.3GHz, 3.7GHz Turbo Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDE00ZFBGRBOX

Item #: N82E16819103913

CPU Replacement Only Return Policy $199.99

. 1 Thermaltake Element G VL18501W2Z Black SECC / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Gaming Case w/ 850W Modular Power Supply

Item #: N82E16811133175

Standard Return Policy $179.99

Subtotal $1,274.93

Tax $0.00

UPS 3 DAYS $32.62

Promo code -$20.00

Order Total $1,287.55

The above is what (according to the shipping information) will be on my front porch when I get home. This is a gaming rig and will be the second one I have built in the last month. This unit will definately stream all the video you want (video card has DVI and HDMI ports), it is easily upgradable, and is a true "bang for the buck" machine.

It was all purchased from Newegg.com and I find that they are extremely competitive in price. They also have a wonderful customer service department and although it is not quite a Dillon "no BS" warranty they do stand behind what they sell.

If you are uncomfortable putting this together yourself I am sure that there is a cowboy around that could help or simply go on the web to Toms Hardware and they have extensive assembly guides. With the new modular power supplies and SATA connections it is getting harder and harder to goof an assembly up. The hardest part, by far, is mounting the cooler on the CPU.

This unit should last you for quite a few years. It also has plenty of room in the case for additional storage or media devices if and when you should decide to upgrade. If you want to do some truly ridiculous video the motherboard supports SLI (dual video cards) and the video card that I have above is an SLI card. You sould simply have to purchase another one and set it up.

The above may be adjusted up and down in price by simple substitution of components based upon what you may consider your demads to be.

The above Wall of Text is brought to you by a farily hardcore weeknight gamer that finds AC to be a good thing in the summer.

EDIT: Spelling

Lots of memory.

Big hard drive, and you want 7200 rpm one.

Good video card, you want one with lots of vid ram and the outputs you want.

Those are the biggies IMO.

Bundled software can be a savings, or not. Check around. Same goes for monitors.

Identify the programs you now use and check compatibility with the version of Windows you're getting.

I'm confuser illiterate. My old one quite a year ago May. Called a Dell sales person. Told him what I did ( ie. personal web site, e-mails, search the web, etc. ) Let him recomend what I should have. Got a Dell StudioXPS with widows 7. Think it cost me about 600 $. kept my old monitor, speakers, printer cus they wuz still Ok.

Works good fur what I do. :)

My first suggestion is to get yourself an exterior back-up drive with UPS hook-up (min 500gb will do for a start). Then take ALL the files you've collected over the years & move them over there.

Then do s System Defragmentation a couple times or more.

I have a 10+ year old laptop that I did this with. The hard-drive back up cost me less than $50.00 from Amazon. Computer now runs quiter, cooler, and almost like new.

Yor mileage may vary....but I plan on getting another 10 or so out of my XP Compaq Presario.

You can also replace the DVD player again real cheap by using Amazon. What I did was buy an exterior player...CDR-DVD...slide out the hardware and slide it into my laptop. XP picked up on the new hardware and got the software working automatically.

Around $15.00 @ Amazon.

Just sayin'. ;)

As long as it has an APPLE LOGO on it you will be fine and happy....

JJJ-D

:ph34r::ph34r:

Hire some ten year old neighbor kid to come by every day to answer questions, show you how things work, and straighten out all of your screw-ups. Find one with good penmanship and have him write everything down as you go along.

Find another one to set up and maintain a paper filing system for all the notes the first kid generates.

Wish I'd have done that way back when.

My home computer is getting long in the tooth and is beginning to show signs of impending failure. My DVD drive has quit working and I am betting my power supply is not far behind. I am maxed out on memory and it is still slow. I am thinking of just replacing it instead of trying to patch it together. (I had to replace a DVD drive in an identical computer purchased at the same time several years ago.) My computer is now 5 years old or maybe a bit older.

I am not a computer person and would like to know what features are important and what is just fluff-I would like to be able to use it to stream movies to my television, but that is not an absolute. Without telling me everything about computers, can someone tell me what I really NEED to know before purchasing a replacement?

I just ran into the same stuff, ending up with a Dell i570 with a lot of Ram (8 Gig) and a 1T hard disk.

I also got a DVD r/w (which does CD's as well).

I bought a battery backup surge protector, and a spare 1.5T standalone Disk to make back ups onto.

The big ticket part for me was the monitor. As a Photoshop user I wanted large and sharp -so I bought the newer 24" monitor as well.

You could just to a backup to spare drive (the spare drives cost 75 for 1.5 T), then replace your disk drive with a solid state on and

add a second disk, this thing would then Rock!

SC

As long as it has an APPLE LOGO on it you will be fine and happy....

JJJ-D

AND go to the Apple website and find the page for 'Refurbished' apples....

You can save 10-27% depending on what ya buy and get the same NEW warranty.

That is what I have done for the last 10 years, but regardless of what ya get (Apple or PC) get an extended warranty...

with advanced technology comes an increased chance stuff will go wrong!

JJJ-D

As you can see Apple has a very loyal following. I have no experience with Apples lately, so I really can't debate the pro's or con's.

I will however throw out this piece of advice...

If you are one that just uses computers but doesn't know alot about them, and you have a friend or family member who acts as your tutor, repairman, tech support, etc person, get something that they are familiar with.

As I said in my other post, identify what software you use and check compatibility, especially if you are switching from a windows box to a Mac.

Yup, If'n it says Macintosh on it somewhere it's good!

I would have to ask my son, Brave Star, what to look for. He mostly says get more memory. I'd make sure it is a laptop with a big screen. You can plug a flat screen into it if you want it on the wall and all the stereo as well. The reason I go for the laptop is that we have a wireless router at home (as well as in the office). You can fiddle with your computer anywhere in the house and outside some. At least we can. The kids can be on the system, I can be on it, mom can be on it all at the same time. I like being able to roam around and use the computer. Last summer I was sitting out in front of the house working on the wire in the sunshine having a brew. Not so much this year. Too danged much rain. :angry: Mom's laptop battery won't hold a charge worth a poop and it is only a couple years old. I need to get her a new one but she can still roam around as long as she has power. When my younger son comes home, he plugs his X-Box into the tower, it is our sever, and downloads movies and plays games on line. Your existing computer should be able to be your server to hook up a router with it and then go wireless. I think my son could use his movie downloads wirelessly but it does have some impact on the speed and possibly the quality. Sorry I can't recommend a good system or how to configure it. We use Dell. My daughter and her husband use that fruity kind.

Features to look for?

Look for it to say things like

Apple

Snow Leopard

Mac :)

Something like that. That will save you countless hours of problems, in and of itself.

AJ

On Windows-based (Microsoft) vs. Apple:

Windows/Microsoft computers: They're like driving a clunky car with a manual transmission—but that's built rather fragile, such that in this gear, you have to go at these speeds; in this other gear, you have to go at these speeds—and if you mess it up, you break it. Then you have to know how to overhaul the transmission, or to know that you have to set gear A to position B to get function C to work...

Apple: It's like driving a cadillac with an automatic transmission and an Everready battery. It just wants to go, and go, and go.

Saves me tons of difficulty right off the bat.

AJ

On Windows-based (Microsoft) vs. Apple:

Windows/Microsoft computers: They're like driving a clunky car with a manual transmission—but that's built rather fragile, such that in this gear, you have to go at these speeds; in this other gear, you have to go at these speeds—and if you mess it up, you break it. Then you have to know how to overhaul the transmission, or to know that you have to set gear A to position B to get function C to work...

Apple: It's like driving a cadillac with an automatic transmission and an Everready battery. It just wants to go, and go, and go.

Saves me tons of difficulty right off the bat.

AJ

And the best part is if'n ya really want ta run Windows and PC stuff, you can partition your really big hard drive, install Apple Bootcamp, install Windows, and away ya go! With a click of a key you instantly switch between the two operating platforms.

Ya get both in the same machine. The ironic part is Windows has been tested against the same current PC processor and Windows runs FASTER on the Apple processor than the native PC processor... :mellow:

There is a software program that will do the same for PC's, but it slows the processor down and does not run Apple OS nearly as fast as the native Apple processor.

JJJ-D

So there ya go...

Well allow me to be the first nay-sayer about Mac!

Tried to be a "convert" a couple years ago. Bought a $1400 MacBook with the software that was similar to MS Office. Less thank six months after I bought it the hard drive gave up the ghost! Oh yeah, Apple was GREAT in that they replaced the hard drive, never mind the fact I had to drive 90 miles to the nearest Apple store for them to do it. So now we're cruising along again, and then the mother board goes out - of course it does this after the warranty expired.

I also found the Mac software difficult to use. Maybe because all of the software I use on a daily basis, and have been using since the Navy has been using computers, is MS. Mac is no longer as safe as they were with regards to viruses and hackers either.

While I have had very good service from my iPod, I will not buy another Mac/iPhone/iBook/iTablet, etc.

Well allow me to be the first nay-sayer about Mac!

Tried to be a "convert" a couple years ago. Bought a $1400 MacBook with the software that was similar to MS Office. Less thank six months after I bought it the hard drive gave up the ghost! Oh yeah, Apple was GREAT in that they replaced the hard drive, never mind the fact I had to drive 90 miles to the nearest Apple store for them to do it. So now we're cruising along again, and then the mother board goes out - of course it does this after the warranty expired.

I also found the Mac software difficult to use. Maybe because all of the software I use on a daily basis, and have been using since the Navy has been using computers, is MS. Mac is no longer as safe as they were with regards to viruses and hackers either.

While I have had very good service from my iPod, I will not buy another Mac/iPhone/iBook/iTablet, etc.

Yea, you are right about the motherboard issue. Ever since Apple switched to the INTEL chipset, which allows them to run Windows seemlessly, there has been an increase in those kinds of problems. Apple used to use a Motorola chipset. By percentage still a lot less than PC's.

95% of the movie industry uses Apple and Apple software. Some of the big movies ya see today are edited and finished using Apple software and hardware. (Final Cut)

PC's still are a lot cheaper to purchase than Apple products. At one time I used both platforms at the saem time.... liked MAC OS much better, but that is me.

JJJ-D

I gotta agree with the other Apple users. switched over to a Mac a year ago and have never looked back. The only concession I have made to PC's is that I bought the Mac version of Office software. It works slightly differently than on a PC, but I can now access all my old Word, Excel and Powerpoint files.

And you know how you want to keep a backup-clone for your computer?

Apple uses "Time Machine." You use an external hard drive, and Time Machine will make backup clones to it, but how nice it is:

It doesn't re-do the whole thing all the time. It does the whole thing the first time, and then it adds to it as your system changes, if you like. So the next time you do it, it only takes a few minutes.

And when you change to a new computer, sometime, you hook your backup hard drive to the new system. The new Apple computer senses the old backup hard drive, and asks you if you'd like to clone your new computer to the old hard drive. You answer yes. Then your new Apple becomes an exact copy of your old computer, so you're off and running again through the ages.

Cool. Easy.

Apple makes everything easier.

AJ

I was thinking I'd list pro's and con's of all the puters we have or have had, but then I said the heck with it. I'll just tell ya what I like best. Gimme a big widescreen laptop with lots of memory, a 200g hard drive, and Windows Seven, and I'm good. There's a five month old apple laptop on the table upstairs, nobody uses it. Not sure why, but neither me or the wife likes it. I used it a week and quit. My wife tried it a couple weeks too, same result. I think we're just more comfortable with the PC stuff. We download AVG and Malware Bytes (both free) and viruses have never bothered us.

Cassidy

'Home Computer' equates to laptops around here. The desktop has become extinct. I've used Apple and Windows-based computers and prefer the latter. Personal preference. Bottom line for my needs is a large hard drive - 500 GB+, fast chip such as the Intel Core i7, lots of RAM - at least 6 GB of DDR3, video with lots of RAM - 2 GB is good, 17" LCD screen, b/g/n wireless, Blu-ray/DVD player. Software depends on your needs.

Well asking me about computers is like asking dumbo about flying.

Not very schooled in the principle.

Going from a PC to a MAC was culture shock for me. My wife wanted it so that is what we got. After I worked out the wrinkles I find that it is more user friendly, but not necessarily more compatible with all the bells and whistles.

I am not sure of how one would go about adding all those things on to a Mac.

Both my sons, who are waaay more computer literate than I am, have MAC'S, they swear by 'em. I'll be lookin at MAC when I'm ready to upgrade. Rye B)

I'll add a bit here about religion: because a lot of the talk about 'best' is just that.

Some folks like Apple, others don't. Some like PC's, others argue lap top versus desktop.

Some have a great fan base in a special niche - such as music or video editing, others are more

general use - office work stuff. Some are easily repaired by any 12 year old with a screw driver,

others go to the factory for repair, if possible.

Look around you and see what amount of repair you can get, what software you can buy, what your

future changing needs might be,and what price point you want to be at in this.

You'll get two kinds of opinions here, those that hate something because it did them wrong, and

those that like something and want to validate their opinion. Sorta like arguing black-powder versus smokeless . . .

Any of them can be accommodated, you have to decide what accommodations you'll make . . . .

I've used both machines at times over the last 30 years in the software biz, they have their aspects . .

just need to find out for your self what you want to deal with, as described above.

Then the hardware list is easy to fill out!

Good hunting . . . .

Shadow Catcher

I'll add a bit here about religion: because a lot of the talk about 'best' is just that.

Some folks like Apple, others don't. Some like PC's, others argue lap top versus desktop.

Some have a great fan base in a special niche - such as music or video editing, others are more

general use - office work stuff. Some are easily repaired by any 12 year old with a screw driver,

others go to the factory for repair, if possible.

Look around you and see what amount of repair you can get, what software you can buy, what your

future changing needs might be,and what price point you want to be at in this.

You'll get two kinds of opinions here, those that hate something because it did them wrong, and

those that like something and want to validate their opinion. Sorta like arguing black-powder versus smokeless . . .

Any of them can be accommodated, you have to decide what accommodations you'll make . . . .

I've used both machines at times over the last 30 years in the software biz, they have their aspects . .

just need to find out for your self what you want to deal with, as described above.

Then the hardware list is easy to fill out!

Good hunting . . . .

Shadow Catcher

Very well said.

There was a time in the past when you bought the hardware and lived with the software that came with it.

Today, it's best to make a list of what you want to do on your computer and then find the software that will do it the best. The software will help decide what type computer you will need to run the available software.

Yes, Apple has some of the best video editing and publishing software in the industry. But do you work in that industry and need that kind of video power?

Most people just want to write and print documents. Do spread sheets for personal finances. Watch movies and get on the internet. Play games on or offline.

I have a very powerful desk top. (build my own for the most part after starting with a good basic machine) I do a lot of graphics stuff. I do a few web sites. I can edit videos, read and write disks of all kinds.

But I can not get the full value of my machine's capability when on the net. Why won't my machine do that? I live where I can not get a fast connection to the net. Low end dial up is all that is available to me. I have to go 500 to 600 feet down the road to get my cell phone to work. The phone company laughs at me every time I ask about faster service to the net. I think it comes up on their screen having been asking for more than ten years. I have never watched a net video. Takes almost an hour to download a 2 minute clip if I can stay connected that long at a time.

So no matter how much machine you have, can you actually use or need all of it's potential?

What ever machine you have now if more than a couple of years old will be less capable than any basic machine you buy today.

Thank you all for your input. I have a better idea of what to look for now.

Try going here>

Help me buy a PC

What should I get?

JJJ-D

J. Mark.....I don't know a damn thing bout confusers......

So, I'd git one dat worked.....

Just sayin.

Archived