SASS Wire Forum

Besides Cowboy guns

I enjoy shooting, enjoy, but cost is getting high, and re-loading for a day or 2 is starting to become a hassle when I have to continuously re-load for CAS also. Otherwise I would be going out to the range weekly, now every 2 months or so, is shooting my MP40, M2, or Tommy. I do like the sound of continuous chatter coming from them. MT

Jesse Stone (Tom Selleck) seems to use a 1911. Is that what it is? And that'd be fine. But when I looked into it, I found the new stainless Ruger would be my pick, and you can't get that in California. :angry:

AJ

AJ I got to shoot one of those new Rugers last week. Very nice! want one myself. j-r

Not too fond of matchlocks. Pretty much everything else is great. :lol:

I always wanted to shoot the Bofor 40 MM.

I think that would make a good varmint gun.

I would hate to see a varmint get hold of one.

An AK's bad enough. :lol:

Not too fond of matchlocks. Pretty much everything else is great. :lol:

Unless you are trying to shoot in rain or high wind, what is wrong with matchlocks?

I always wanted to shoot the Bofor 40 MM.

I think that would make a good varmint gun.

They did!

Kinda partial to my Rock Island 1911 and my Springfield Armory M1A.

That M1A is a real keeper and is a ball to shoot!

Well the modern gun bug bit on me and now I own a AR, 1911, LC9 and others. Besides CAS I have gotten into IDPA. It's really helped me with my conceal carry practice because I'm not there for the competition but to practice the way I actually carry my ccw.

Would like to spend some time shooting long range but can't seem to fit that in now. Maybe down the road.

Would like to spend some time shooting long range but can't seem to fit that in now. Maybe down the road.

Nothing like TR bench shooting. Working out loads, then shooting at 100, 200,300yds. Taking notes, and comparing previous loads and conditions.

I also enjoy LR pistol shooting, (as long as derringers aren't allowed). :) MT

Well, got out and shot competitive trap for the first time in years last week. I had a great time, and remembered how much fun it is to shoot. Shot doubles with a K-80 and had the best doubles experience of my life. Simply awesome.

Unless you are trying to shoot in rain or high wind, what is wrong with matchlocks?

Too clunky. They just don't appeal to me.

Plus I don't like wearing those tight Musketeer pants.

(in public anyway) :P

I shoot NRA High Power Rifle. Either with my AR-15 (Bushmaster DCM), or one of my M1 Garands. I do the CMP Garand Matches we have locally, and over winter, I shoot the indoor Sport Rifle league, (.22LR at 50 feet).

I've been thinking of trying IDPA, but haven't had the right weekend off from w@*k. I just put a new scope on one of my .22 LR bolt actions, and need to zero it in at 100 yards for an up-coming CMP .22 match.

Any way you look at it, a bad day at the range is still better than a good day at w@&k.

Just slip a "cod" piece in Utah. :rolleyes::lol::lol: MT

Nah! Too much chafing. :blink:

Front-stuffers, for sure... Back in '72 I saw "Jeremiah Johnson" the first Saturday it was out ~ bright 'n' early Monday mornin' I presented myself at the old San Francisco Gun Exchange and bought me a T/C "Hawken." It's still a hoot to shoot. ^_^

Then comes a variety of "retired" military gaspipes of varying nationalities...

And then everything else. ALL of 'em are fun! :)

========================================================

I've had two "Hawkens", first a .50 and then the .54 I have now, because of that same movie. "Last Of The Mohicans" made me buy a .50 flintlock Pa. longrifle from Taylors.

I thoroughly enjoy shooting milsurps, including my Garands, 03A3, and M1 carbines, plus the 1917 DWM Luger and 1944 Walther P-38 I got recently from Dad. All are great shooters and loads of fun, but the Walther is picky about ammo. The bolt face end of the loaded chamber indicator keeps riding up over the rim of Remington ammo and causing feeding problems. Federal ammo is much less problematic, and Winchester white box ammo is no problem at all.

I gotta stay away from gun shows though. Those $99 Mosins keep calling "buy me, buy me, buy meeeeee.............

I thoroughly enjoy shooting milsurps, including my Garands, 03A3, and M1 carbines, plus the 1917 DWM Luger and 1944 Walther P-38 I got recently from Dad. All are great shooters and loads of fun, but the Walther is picky about ammo. The bolt face end of the loaded chamber indicator keeps riding up over the rim of Remington ammo and causing feeding problems. Federal ammo is much less problematic, and Winchester white box ammo is no problem at all.

I gotta stay away from gun shows though. Those $99 Mosins keep calling "buy me, buy me, buy meeeeee.............

Купите меня. Купите меня :lol:

1911's - without a doubt. I've also taken a shine to my Mini-14, now that I've found some ammo that shoots well in it. Anytime you can bust caps, it's a good day....

:)

Just curious what other in the Saloon enjoy shooting besides Cowboy Guns? I enjoy long range shooting with 1903, M1 Garand, M1A, and the AR15. Except for the AR15 which I shoot out to 300 yds and use a scope. The others are out to 150 yds, using just the military irons. In pistols, I enjoy shooting my Colt Phyton, and SW Model 19.

For fun with BlueJeans we both enjoy plinking away at tin cans with .22s. MT

Aside from CAS guns, I enjoy shooting my .22's for general practice and fun, and my several different carry guns (Kahr K9 and Browning HP) to keep in tune.

I'm thinking of adding IDPA back into my activity list - because while CAS is fun, I want to keep a level of proficiency with my carry guns, and that is

getting a mite rusty right now.

Time is fleeting - and any trigger time is good time . . . but I need more focused practice as well . . . .

SC

Yesterday, I shot, for the first time, a Remington 721 in 300 H&H that a dear friend and mentor gave to me. Three five shot groups under 2" at 200 yards with hunting loads. This just may become my non-CAS favorite rifle.

Guest EL NEGRO GATO #8178

WHAT YOU MEAN THERE ARE OTHER GUNS BESIDES COWBOY GUNS? LOL I enjoy my 1911's in 45acp, my Walter PPK, the hawkin in 50caliper, and several 22 autos with laser sights on them, in the fall I like shooting my Stoger O/U in 20 gauge and my buff gun in 45-70

ENG :FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Just give me a gun made of steel and wood

Crafted for accuracy, not just for speed

A weapon, an art form, an engineer's dream

A savior, companion, and true friend in need

An icon that stands for America's past

And stands for the principles we hold so dear

Strong and reliable made to defend

Protecting, defending and calming our fears

Provider of food for our family and friends

Keeping the dark and the wolves from our door

Passed down from father to son through the years

Used to defend both the rich and the poor

More than a weapon but less than an idol

A thing to be used to protect this great land

Possessed not by subjects but free men of courage

Liberty in the heart and a gun in the hand

:FlagAm:

.30 & .45acp Broomhandles

I agree with Doc Windshadow - shooting Broomhandles are F U N ! ! !

The top pistol is a .30 cal, 1912, all original w/6 groove rifling.

The bottom is a Shansei Armory Chinese contract - very low serial number - all original. I use Swedish Mauser stripper clips to load it - 5 bullets at a time.

Ohio Ordnance 1918A3 BAR

I also have mounts for regular scope and starlight scope. Makes a great varmint [coyote] weapon.

Tull

Archived