SASS Wire Forum

Besides Cowboy guns

Just curious what other in the Saloon enjoy shooting besides Cowboy Guns? I enjoy long range shooting with 1903, M1 Garand, M1A, and the AR15. Except for the AR15 which I shoot out to 300 yds and use a scope. The others are out to 150 yds, using just the military irons. In pistols, I enjoy shooting my Colt Phyton, and SW Model 19.

For fun with BlueJeans we both enjoy plinking away at tin cans with .22s. MT

Don't shoot any others regularly. But I enjoy shooting them all when I get a chance. Especially .22s as you can shoot alot for only a little money. Want to try IDPA someday, but it is the same Saturday as my favorite cowboy match, so that ain't gonna happen.

I am loving AR's

I have RRA that is so much fun I can hardly afford the ammo, and I reload. I also have a .243 WSSM upper for it that I don't have optics for yet that should be a total hoot. I have a few Sigs in 40SW that are really nice, but I must admit I like my Kimber in 45 ACP more. I have a early Colt Anaconda that is the most accurate pistol I own. It loves milder 44 Mag ammo, but will just not shoot non-jacketed bullets even if I load it way low and slow.

I find I am becoming less of a pistolero and more of a rifleman. An accurate rifle really test you. I have an old Savage 110 in 30-06. It is my go to gun for hunting about anything deer size and up. It is remarkably accurate with factory ammo of any make. I find it amazing that such an inexpensive rifle shoots so well. I have never been able to shoot bigger than 1.5 inch groups at 100 yds with it and it routinely will shoot at or just under 1 inch. Well, until I get the recoil jerks anyway.

I would like to get one of those Saiga 12 ga semi-auto's in the AK style. I have had one on order for months now with a couple of places and I am having zero luck with that. I think 3 gun would be a lot of fun with one of those.

I like to shoot anything that goes "bang," but I mostly stick to pistols since my little range at home is only 50 yards at most. I have a S&W M&P 40c that I use as my CCW, so it gets a generous amount of usage as does my Dad's old (now mine) Dan Wesson .357 "truck gun." I blow enough rounds in these two pistols to insure that I can hit what I need to, should I need to.

I think one of the funnest things (most fun? :rolleyes: ) to do is work on a single weapon, be it pistol or rifle, for a long time and get really (and I mean really) good with it. My little CCW isn't very big, but I've gotten so (after many, many rounds) I am very accurate with it. You get to know the characteristics of the gun....how to grip it....pick up the sights quickly....etc. I find that to be fun. Then, once mastered, you can just pump 100 rounds a month through it to maintain it.

I have to admit though, after starting CAS, those guns don't get near as much work. I'm busy trying to do the above with my Open Tops.... :)

Chick

Front-stuffers, for sure... Back in '72 I saw "Jeremiah Johnson" the first Saturday it was out ~ bright 'n' early Monday mornin' I presented myself at the old San Francisco Gun Exchange and bought me a T/C "Hawken." It's still a hoot to shoot. ^_^

Then comes a variety of "retired" military gaspipes of varying nationalities...

And then everything else. ALL of 'em are fun! :)

My main competition is USPSA and 3 gun shooting. I have a STI Steelmaster 9mm, enhanced by Dawson, a custom built AR-15 (by me) and my Remmy 1100. I shoot in the Open division and get to have a red dot sight on all three of them. :D Still waiting for SASS to let me put dots on my cowboy guns!!! :D

I also shoot .22 rifles and handguns whenever I get the chance, it's the best bang for the buck, and I get to shoot them with my grandson! PRICELESS!

Dodge N Delaw

I go through phases. I stared shooting pistols, then got into surplus rifles, then long range precision rifles, then tactical rifles (AK's first, then AR's), then back to precision rifles, then I got into CAS and everything else has taken a back seat. Shooting two matches a month has kind of chewed up all of my range time. I'm thinking about doing some defensive pistol and carbine matches though; I'd kind of like to shoot my USP and AR's again.

I sure agree with that, Matt! I'm rather fond of a vintage 1908 Parker Bros. VH 28 gauge with the chokes opened up to M/IC that resides in my safe. Lovely little quail and dove gun, and fun for sporting clays, too. Just wish 28 ga. shells weren't so expensive. -- GIT

Ha...depends on what I'm shootin at B) If its prairie dogs, then its my custom .220 Ackly Improved Swift. If I'm deer/antelope huntin, then its my Ruger M77 (tang safety) .25-06. If I'm going after larger game like elk or moose, then my custom commercial mauser .300 Wby is it. Turkey or geese is my Spanish sxs 10 ga. For upland game birds I shoot a older AYA sidelock sxs 3" 20 ga. Trap is my Remington 870 All American trap gun.Skeet is a Superposed Browning O/U. I also shoot a High Standard Supermatic Trophy .22 target auto and a custom S & W K38 for my bullseye target shooting. ;)

Pistols (5) and lever gun whose internal barrel diameter is .410.

260 gr LBT bullets and lots of W296.

Marshal

I like shooting my Remington 700 Milspec 5R in .308 with Nightforce scope at faraway targets--and any of my rifles at deer, antelope and elk. I also enjoy seeing what I can do with my T/C Contender (7-30 Waters) at 100 yards or so.

Cassalong Hopidy

The loaded ones?

I guess busting clay birds with my 11-87 or BSS is right at the top, although the 06s and the .22 are a mite flavorful. That is pretty much all I got except for the cowboy stuff. Do I need more guns and more calibers?

Maybe something in a .243 or a 270 SM with a glass eye that sees forever. AND I don't have one in .308 caliber either.

I could be convinced if someone wanted to give me some new toys. :rolleyes:

Badger, look into a 7-08. Sweeet little caliber. Almost identical to the old 7mm Mauser.

Badger, look into a 7-08. Sweeet little caliber. Almost identical to the old 7mm Mauser.

Never heard of the 7-08. Guess I live under a rock or something. Anyway, did a quick search and you are

correct. Lots of good reports from users. Only question that flashes to mind is what about ammunition.

If you reload, finding reloading information for it could pose a problem, and buying off the shelf is sorta

cost prohibitive.

Truth be known, I can't see all that far anymore anyway. I am having a lot of fun with the little .22 LR (.416 Rigby Pinfire). It is a hoot to shoot. Just wish I could find some games to play with it. Like Texas Star dancing.

I don't have any guns, but I like the AK that shows up around here every now 'n' then! :lol:

I was figuring Blackwater was a closet 1911 shooter...

1911? 1911?? Never heard of such!! What's that lump under my shirt on the left?? NOYDB!! :angry::lol:

I prefer the cowboy guns because of the history. I got into that because of my husband, Painless. He's got— Sorry. We've got relatives going back to the revolutionary war, and I found I truly appreciate that kind of thing. The historic-type guns help me connect with the times.

However,

I do have a Glock, though I rarely use it.

AJ

Jesse Stone (Tom Selleck) seems to use a 1911. Is that what it is? And that'd be fine. But when I looked into it, I found the new stainless Ruger would be my pick, and you can't get that in California. :angry:

AJ

I have a Keltec Sub2000 folding stock carbine in 9mm.

http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/rifles/sub-2000/

It takes Glock magazines and I have a good number of those 33 round Glock 9mm mag. Its fun to shoot and since I reload 9mm I can shoot it often. With a 33 round mag you actually get tired of shooting it if you are taking your time and aiming. It's fun to plink with.

I also have a Ruger MKII 22 target pistol. It has 10 rd mags and it fun and economical to shoot.

7.63 broom-handle Mauser with shoulder stock at night with old WW2 surplus ammo(each package has 2 10 round striper clips and it was produced in CZ in 45) the muzzle flash is beyond belief and it is one very loud pistol amazingly In day light I can put all 10 in 5" circle at 100 yards using the stock.... other guns I shoot a lot are the 1911 with its ace converter (saves a lot of $$$ but the floating chamber gives it the recoil of a heavier round than its .22 rimfire 1885 Winchester 1885 in 45-90 in BP paper patched. plinking I have a Weatherby mark xxii with its matched scope and it is still as much fun as the day I bought new back in the early 70s I have .54 Hawkin that I built from a kit made by Sharon in the early 70s when I feel the need to front stuf a gun then there are all the shotguns Granddads Black Diamond grade Model 12 trap is sweet as is my other grand dads Parker SXS and Mom's Model 21 20ga SxS is a sweet upland bird gun.... I could go on and on and I would really find it hard to mark one as a favorite above all the others they all have had their day at the top of my list depending on how I felt that day

Never heard of the 7-08. Guess I live under a rock or something. Anyway, did a quick search and you are

correct. Lots of good reports from users. Only question that flashes to mind is what about ammunition.

If you reload, finding reloading information for it could pose a problem, and buying off the shelf is sorta

cost prohibitive.

Truth be known, I can't see all that far anymore anyway. I am having a lot of fun with the little .22 LR (.416 Rigby Pinfire). It is a hoot to shoot. Just wish I could find some games to play with it. Like Texas Star dancing.

BMC , info for 7-08 is in every reloading manual that has been put out in the last 20 years or so. You really are out of touch.

Not trying to be a smart-ass , lots of folks don't keep up with all that goes on in the shooting world , but 7-08 been around quite a while now.

Just keep shootin' something , Rex :D

My Colt 1911, Bushmaster AR and one of my many double action Smiths.^_^ Rye

cost prohibitive.

It's (7-08) enough of a "mainstream" caliber now to be readily available in Walmart.

It was developed by the Silhouette shooters as an ideal 500 yard cartridge with enough punch to take the rams down with authority.

As far as reloads, it's a necked down 308 that uses .284 bullets. The 140 gr variety seem to be the most compatible. The ballistics exceed those of the parent 308 so it's a good one.

BMC , info for 7-08 is in every reloading manual that has been put out in the last 20 years or so. You really are out of touch.

Not trying to be a smart-ass , lots of folks don't keep up with all that goes on in the shooting world , but 7-08 been around quite a while now.

Just keep shootin' something , Rex :D

It's (7-08) enough of a "mainstream" caliber now to be readily available in Walmart.

It was developed by the Silhouette shooters as an ideal 500 yard cartridge with enough punch to take the rams down with authority.

As far as reloads, it's a necked down 308 that uses .284 bullets. The 140 gr variety seem to be the most compatible. The ballistics exceed those of the parent 308 so it's a good one.

I have always been a 06 fan. Uncle Sam did that for me. :FlagAm:

I doubt that I will be buying and shooting any more calibers than I already have in my safe.

But that is an interesting caliber. If I were to take up silhouette shooting, I would most likely stay with the

little guys and use my .22. LR CZ. I can thank Willie Wheelgun for that. One of the really urgent things is to

get out and shoot something. I am setting aside some bench time next week. Got eye surgery coming up next month so I had best get 'er done while I can still see a little.

That said, three calibers that have intrigued me over the years. The .243 is one and I almost purchased one a few years ago. But hind sight is 20/20 and I could not find a reason at the time. I was on to something else and now I do not recall what it was. The other two are the .270 WSM and the .17 HMR.

I like the flat shooting trajectory but I can't find a really good reason to buy one.

Archived