SASS Wire Forum

Kinda OT ... Serial Numbers

On a non-cowboy 870 clone I am mounting one of those scope mounts that slides over the reciever and locks in using the trigger pins. Unfortunately it will partially obscure the serial number which is stamped on the side.

So I guess this goes out to our FFL holding pards - will the # have to be restamped or engraved in a more visible spot to stay legal?

Howdy,

afaik, if the number isnt damaged all is well.

I had a marlin that Rusty Marlin worked and put on a tang sight.

He thought he might have to drill thru a number so he shipped

the frame to Marlin and they restamped the sn on the side.

As it turned out, the drill just barely missed the original number.

Of course I now have proof that the drill didnt take off a whole digit.

If you must drill a number, get the number stamped elsewhere on the frame.

I dont know if only the factory is allowed to do that....

Best

CR

Yep, as long as the number is intact, you can cover it up. My tang sight bases on the Marlins do just that, span the number but no part of the number is defaced.

As a slight aside, any fool who thinks they are gonna obliterate a serial number on most NEW guns is in for a rude awakening if the authorities catch him. YA CAN'T hide the origin of the gun that way any more, due to a little thing called a "3-D bar code" used by the manufacturing machines to keep the gun "serialized" in the computer system even before the traditional serial number is stamped in the steel, based on the bar code.... If ya don't know what yer looking at, 99% of folks wouldn't spot it, but it's there.....

I have a Remington model 34 22 cal bolt repeater. It belonged to my gradfather, my dad, and now me. In the early 1960's, a gunsmith put a scope on it. In the process, he drilled through the serial number on the left side of the receiver. I di no have a record of the serial number. Anyone know what my options are?

Don't sell it and I bet you will never have a problem. Guns haven't always had serial numbers and thye are perfectly legal.

As to restamping:

the restamp MUST be done FIRST, so that the gun never is witout a SN.

Re: the damaged SN, you may apply for a new SN to the ATF or whatever they call it now under HSA.

I have a Remington model 34 22 cal bolt repeater. It belonged to my gradfather, my dad, and now me. In the early 1960's, a gunsmith put a scope on it. In the process, he drilled through the serial number on the left side of the receiver. I di no have a record of the serial number. Anyone know what my options are?

Guns made before the 1968 Gun Control Act weren't required to have serial numbers, especially .22's. I have Winchesters made without serial numbers, no problem when buying or selling in California with FFL's who know the law. Just sayin'

Big Jake

Guns made before the 1968 Gun Control Act weren't required to have serial numbers, especially .22's. I have Winchesters made without serial numbers, no problem when buying or selling in California with FFL's who know the law. Just sayin'

Big Jake

While it is true that before the GCA of '68 serial numbers were not required on long guns (I think pistols had em mandatory before that), I also think IF a gun had a serial it was still unlawful to deface it.....

Archived