SASS Wire Forum

main spring power in a ruger

Howdy

I have three 'original model' Vaqueros. A bunch of years ago I replaced the springs. I put the 18 pound springs in them. They will set off Federal Large Pistol and Winchester Large Pistol primers. Never had to hit a primer twice. Have never tried CCI primers.

Bear in mind though, that in order to be assured of setting off all primers with a light spring you should also remove any extra friction in the action by lightly polishing the parts that rub against each other. That's why manufacturers put such heavy springs in in the first place.

I have modified 17# springs in old model Vaqueros, I cut 1to2 coils off and they work fine with winchester primers. Work better with Federals. That is the view from my saddle.

Driftwood makes a good suggestion on polishing up those parts that rub against each other.

When I did the GF record run a couple years back, I searched for a spring that would allow good, smooth functioning of the hammer AND also give me a very fast hammer fall. The fast hammer fall was essential in getting those shots off fast before I recocked the pistols.

Anyhow, those pistols were original Vaquero's and I used Longhunters 15# hammer springs. I also used either Federal (preferred) or Winchester primers. I did have a couple issues when I used CCI primers.

Hope this helps

..........Widder

According to all literature I have ever read, the stock springs are rated 23 pounds.

The most used replacement spring seems to be the Wolff 17 pound spring, and I am convinced that if you use Federal primers, 15 pound springs would work just fine. There's no question that the Federals have a softer face on the primer, and it takes less energy to make them fire.

I have always used the 17 lb springs AND the Federal primers and have never had a problrm of any kind. The Wolff spring kit also comes with a reduced power trigger return spring, which also helps to lighten trigger pull.

RBK

On my "big" vaqueros (.45 caliber, and yes, it does matter if we're talking large or small primers) I opted NOT to replace the springs, but following some guidance received from those in the know at Ruger at the time, I cut four turns off the original main springs, and probably lost another 1/2 turn re-establishing the flat ends on em. Also, when I replaced the hammers, I carefully eyeballed the sides of the old hammers, noted scuffing, and shimmed the new hammers with shim washers to prevent the hammer scuffing the sides of the channel in the frame. Also BOTH ends of the trigger return spring have been reworked, giving a crisp 2.5 lb pull and eliminating trigger stacking) This combination is smooth and light enough, yet will still pop ANY primer ya got. Using the original mainsprings with 4 turns cut off means that although the early part of the hammer throw is light, it tends to "stack" as the hammer is cocked fully, giving good hammer fall speed when the trigger is pulled without the harsh preload of the hammer on the beginning end of the cocking stroke. That way although the first part of the stroke is easy, and ya pick up a little more resistance as ya go, you won't notice it in that part of the stroke as your thumbs are already moving the hammer fast enough by then that it won't even slow ya down.

Ok, thanks guys, but as just pointed out, I should have been more specific. I want to do both my 38s and 45s.The only difference is one uses small primers and one uses large primers. Does the larger primer take more force? Since there is more of a charge is the primer top thicker?

Ok, thanks guys, but as just pointed out, I should have been more specific. I want to do both my 38s and 45s.The only difference is one uses small primers and one uses large primers. Does the larger primer take more force? Since there is more of a charge is the primer top thicker?

I couldn't rightly say which takes more force, but back in the day, I asked the feller who worked at Ruger how many coils I could cut off the stock spring, and he asked "large or small primers?" before answering me.

Johnny Swan,

Because I've had good success with 17# in both calibers, that would be the safe way to go, no matter what primer you might use.

BUT, You can buy one set of the 15# and try them in both sets of pistols with little effort changing them back and forth. You might find those 15# springs are good for you.

PLUS, when you order from LongHunter, ask to speak to him. Small talk alittle and see what he recommends. He's a nice feller and would probably enjoy the conversation with you.

..........Widder

In my .44 mag OMVs that I use in SASS, I'm using 17lb. Wolff hammer springs and they have been in from the start. No issues with ANY primer EVER.

Remember that when you drop your hammer spring down past a certian point, your "lock-time"(speed the hammer falls)gets real slow also.

I would NEVER "tune" a gun for a certain primer only. :rolleyes: Makes NO sense. ;)

Cheers,

LG

Thanks guys

I just ordered a 17# wolff mainspring and a 30 oz trigger spring. I will try one out and see what I think. I have to say that I tuned up a Uberti clone that I thought was going to need to go out for work. Some polishing, a new hammer and a new set of wolff springs and the gun is better than ever. I love this game. ;)

Swan

How can you measuer the spring to see what weight it is ? 15#, 17#

It's not particularly easy to do. Spring RATES are for a certain distance of compression, which you'd have to apply straight on, using a weight, etc.... OR you'd have to know the rest of the specs, diameter, wire diameter, distance betweeen coils, etc to measure the spring and use a chart to figure it out..... Most of us just use em and think in terms of 17 is lighter than 19, etc.....

Boy, that just isn't the case for the Ruger Old Army. Black powder revolvers are really sensitive to how heavy the main spring is. There are a lot more variables, how the well the caps fit, how sensitive the caps are. I've found that lowering the hammer spring much at all causes misfires....

But again, this is for the ROA only. It would be great if I could get #17 Spring in it and be confident it would go off.

I ordered 2 #15 springs from Longhunter a few days ago. Got them today, in each packet there are 2 springs, it says longer one is for OMV's shorter one is for NMV so I got 4 springs!!

Jack, it looks like another reason to go buy a new set of guns for those extra springs..... :D

..........Widder

Archived