SASS Wire Forum

Ruger keeps coming out with weird guns!

Jack Houston # 35508

What would you use a Bolt Action 357 for??? I could see a semi-auto in 357 for Urban Defense

Scout rifle.

Actually I would love to see it in a more potent pistol caliber, maybe a 44 magnum. It wouldn't be a lever gun, but a nice little sight on that rifle wojuld make a great brush gun.

What do you know, they have one.

Yeah, I got an E-Mail the other day that said they are coming out with a gun called the "Congressman".....They don't work, and you can't fire them..............

Mink.........

Wait....

Ruger is making copies of Jennings and Ravens???? :blink:

Wait....

Ruger is making copies of Jennings and Ravens???? :blink:

Hey My Jennings 22 works just fine!!! In the last year I've killed 3 Rats and 1 Possum!!

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd133/LoneRiderLeather/MVC-411S.jpg

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd133/LoneRiderLeather/MVC-153S.jpg

Hey My Jennings 22 works just fine!!! In the last year I've killed 3 Rats and 1 Possum!!

Well, they can make good saps, I guess. ;)

I've never seen one go more than about three rounds without some sort of feed problem or failure to fire.

That said, if they are well cared for they are reliable for those three rounds and maybe more. They are very affordable (not everyone can drop $300 to $500 on a gun), and at close range they can do the job of self defense. Would not be my first choice, but better than no gun at all. And since most defensive gun uses don't involve pressing the bang button, in most cases it wouldn't matter.

I'd like to see someone besides Hi-Point make a carbine in 45acp w/Hi-Cap mags!! Or, take 1911 mags. That's affordable, so let's Not hear Beretta, H&K , AR platform ect.

I would trust the last 3 you listed, one hell of alot more than the first one you spoke of to save a life.

There's "affordable", then the is junk at any price, including FREE.....

My and my wife's :wub: life is WORTH the cost of an H&K USP com-pac .45 and a S&W mod 340SC .357 for CCW/SD.

Cheers,

LG

Scout rifle.

Actually I would love to see it in a more potent pistol caliber, maybe a 44 magnum. It wouldn't be a lever gun, but a nice little sight on that rifle wojuld make a great brush gun.

What do you know, they have one.

They make or at least made an M77 in 44 mag......I have one and really like it. Granted the 44 has more power but that 357 would be a sweet little rifle for a young person hunting deer or hogs at close range plus you could shoot it all day for nothing compared to the cost bottle neck rifle cartridges. It would be good for pests too like coyotes, fox, raccoon, etc that get too invasive. I kinda' what one!

Well the 22 looks like a great gun for squirrel hunting, though the increased capacity doenst do a lot for me over a std six shooter. The 357 rifle would make a neat close in deer gun and wouldnt be to far out of place in a cruiser. Always thought that IMI pump action 357 would be a real corker as well.

Ref the 45 carbine, if you can find an old Marlin camp carbine grab it. Did everything a very expensive HK could at about 1/4 the price and with extended, read 10 round, mags they were an outstanding value. Drop a big red dot on it, site it for 25 yards, stoke it with +P JHPs and you'd be good to go. Maybe the new Marlin will bring it back.

Right on Ruger...a bolt action .357. and 10 shot 22 ~ I think it's great new guns are coming out, weird or not....

As posted, wouldn't the bolt action make for a good brush type, close range deer gun? And although ugly (with the sights and all) the 10 shot revolver would be kind of handy for a boat/camp type of gun. At least Ruger didn't come up with yet another 45/410 revolver like SO MANY of their competitors have, flooding the market with a questionable answer to a yet unneeded problem. Not 357, but the 44 bolt is on my must have list for in the future to be topped with a red dot scope. I think it would be great for hogs. And the other gun, Ruger has never gone beyond 6 on any of their revolvers and there are several calibers (especially the smaller ones) that they could increase the capacity on without changing anything except timing and chambering. Smithy.

Can't knock Ruger, as others said, good brush rifle and the sights on the .22 are for function, not looks. What's the old saying: " If you don't try something different, then everything stays the same."

I don't really need one but I would not be against carrying the ten shot revolver for a walk in the woods.

As for the pistol cal carbine Ruger had one very similar to the Marlin camp carbine. They were designated the PC9 and PC40 and came with a synthetic stock and used the mag from the P series pistols. If I remember correctly they were only available for a few years.

Before that they had the 44 carbine very similar looking to the 10/22 but chambered in 44 Mag. I believe it has been in and out of production at least twice, 1961-85 then reintroduced in 2000.

Hope this helps,

Smoke

Been shooting varmints, coyotes, turkeys and even hogs with .357 loads in my Rossi saddle carbine for years! A commercial .357 round is a VERY different animal than most people think when it's coming out of a 20" rifle barrel. After what I have seen in the field, I wouldn't have a problem with taking on deer out to about 75-80 yards with the carbine... the open sights being the issue, not the downrange lethality. A rifle design with a scope might extend that somewhat...

And besides, the .357 is a nice logical step between the .22 and the .44. If only it was a .33, it'd be perfect! :D

I think it would be pretty neat to have, actually. I don't know what I'd shoot with it, but it'd still be neat to have...

I HOPE YA DIDN'T LET THE POSSUM GO TO WASTE!

As posted, wouldn't the bolt action make for a good brush type, close range deer gun? And although ugly (with the sights and all) the 10 shot revolver would be kind of handy for a boat/camp type of gun. At least Ruger didn't come up with yet another 45/410 revolver like SO MANY of their competitors have, flooding the market with a questionable answer to a yet unneeded problem. Not 357, but the 44 bolt is on my must have list for in the future to be topped with a red dot scope. I think it would be great for hogs. And the other gun, Ruger has never gone beyond 6 on any of their revolvers and there are several calibers (especially the smaller ones) that they could increase the capacity on without changing anything except timing and chambering. Smithy.

Smithy, you haven't been keeping up.

Ruger has been cataloging a 7 shot GP100 and an 8 shot BH both in 327 Mag for some time now.

In my world, the market would have called for Ruger to do an updated Old Model Army on the New Vaquero platform and it would have a more Remington like look. Announce limited runs of the older Vaquero model in 44mag and 45 for the BIG BOOM cowboys. While talking limited runs I would add the Baby Vaquero to that list with a few revamped for the 38special. Last but not least, a new frame sized SA revolver called the Super Black Hawk Dino with a six round cylinder chambered for .454Casull mag. I pretty much stopped following the Gun mag stuff years back and do not know whats new and whats not but how about the 357 Maxima? Wouldnt something like that have been slightly more practical in a bolt action rifle and perhaps one could even use it for 357s and 38s???? When Ruger came out with the 308 Scout Rifle I thought it was a crazy move BUT have since changed my mind and now have one on my long list of wants.

Advertised Ruger Firearms in trade rags:

1911: Not available in any quantity

308 JC Scout Rifle: Ditto

Single Ten: Ditto

LCP: 18 months late and one major recall

SR9: 14 months late and one major recall

I'm really a fan of Ruger firearms, but they're promises are worth about as much as USFA.

Advertised Ruger Firearms in trade rags:

1911: Not available in any quantity

308 JC Scout Rifle: Ditto

Single Ten: Ditto

LCP: 18 months late and one major recall

SR9: 14 months late and one major recall

I'm really a fan of Ruger firearms, but they're promises are worth about as much as USFA.

Thanks you Manatee! My point exactly!!

I'd like to see someone besides Hi-Point make a carbine in 45acp w/Hi-Cap mags!! Or, take 1911 mags. That's affordable, so let's Not hear Beretta, H&K , AR platform ect.

Jack, Marlin did several years ago. Took a 1911 mag. They were semi-auto I had one & was a fool for getting rid of it. If I get my hands on another one I won't be lettin go of it. They made the same gun also in 9mm. Took a S&W Mod 6900 mag. They called them the Camp 45 or Camp 9 Carbine. That was back in 85-99. I think they just weren't selling enough back them. Now they'd probably sell like hot cakes. Last MSRP was about $450 Today they go on the gun sale websites for anywhere from $350 to $750. I just checked 3 sites & there were about ten 9mms for sale but no 45s.

If ATI would make a stock for the 45 Hi-Point like they do for the 9mm I'd get one! 1911 mags can be made to work in them, but if you can't stop something with the 9 round stock 45 mag you are doing something wrong! Yes, they are Ugly but they work and if it doesn't Hi-Point has a No BS warranty!

Archived