SASS Wire Forum

Reloading 12GA Hulls

Depends on how heavily they're loaded. With light, smokeless loads, they can be reloaded many times. When the crimp folds begin to split and/or the hull mouth gets raggedy, it's time to toss 'em.

With BP loads, the hulls become scorched & rough quickly. They're often done after 1 or 2 firings.

I reload mine to roughly the same as the AA low recoil shells.Some I've reloaded 3 and 4 times before tossing them due to splits just under the crimp line.When that happens I give them to a friend that shoots BP.Most of his he only uses once or twice,so they work ok for a 1 time shot with BP then he tosses them.

Depends on how heavily they're loaded. With light, smokeless loads, they can be reloaded many times. When the crimp folds begin to split and/or the hull mouth gets raggedy, it's time to toss 'em.

With BP loads, the hulls become scorched & rough quickly. They're often done after 1 or 2 firings.

For smokeless I get 4-5 reloads

The crimp goes bad before the rest of the hull does.

For BP with a lighter load I get 2, maybe 3.... that's it.

The BP burns the hulll too much for nay more.

JJJ-D

:ph34r::ph34r:

How many times can someone reload Win AA or Rem STS hulls? I keep hearing folks say 'once fired' when looking to buy or sell these hulls. Do they become weak, or what. Anyway, Just wondering.

Howdy

The reason you keep hearing about 'once fired' hulls is for many years you could not buy unfired hulls from the major manufacturers. Unlike metallic reloading, for some reason fresh factory hulls simply were not available. Most reloaders bought boxes of factory ammo, then shot them and saved the hulls to reload them. Many gunshops had barrels full of 'once fired' hulls that had been discarded at Trap and Skeet clubs, then collected by the clubs and sold for cash. They may not have always truly been 'once fired', but at least they were usually in reasonably good shape. Not too long ago you could buy 'once fired' hulls from Cabellas. I think Midway may carry them too. For a long time, if you did not buy factory loads and reload them, that was the only way to purchase hulls.

It really had nothing to do with how many times they could be reloaded, it was simply hulls that had been discarded after being shot once by shooters who did not reload.

When I load Smokeless for Trap, I can usually get four or five reloadings out of a Remington STS hull until it gets too ugly to shoot. There is no need to worry about ejection in most clay shooting sports, so sometimes the hulls get pretty ugly. I usually downgrade my hulls to BP use after they are too ugly for Smokeless. I load them one more time with BP, and then discard them.

How many times can someone reload Win AA or Rem STS hulls?
Until you bugger the crimp or the case splits under the crimp

Add another - the primer pocket becomes to large

Guest Cactus Cris SASS#2790

I have been reloading Rem Gun Club hulls for Clays shooting-they work fine for about 2-3 loadings. They are easy to find at the clay range. I use 1 fired for my BP shooting and toss them. Have a LOT of them so no loss. Have a ton of 2-? fired AA that I use for clays too. MY Mec Grabber loads them all-only adjustment is the wad finger height & pressure adjustment- (powder type-wad type-hull type-amount of shot) Works for me so far. :)

J-bar--- :lol:

Wow, you guys are pitching them after 4-5 reloads? I know I've reloading a LOT 10-12 times (AA or Rem) before the crimp starts to split. I've got so many now that I've started to pitch them when they start to get "dirty" after, maybe, 5 reloads.

Ditto with Win. AA or Remington 20 ga. shells. I can hardly wear them out.

Now, 28 ga. and .410 is a different story. I might only get 3-5 reloads from those. I had one batch of 28 ga. AA's that had the crimp on several shells split on their first firing out of the box.

Of course I'm also talking about smokeless loads. I usually pitch the BP loads first time out.

Angus

My pard Old Top just recently had to buy some hulls to reload. It seems he finally could not reload any of the hulls he used to load with his dad when he waz a kid. They just finally gave up.

Unfortunately the newer shotshell hulls are not made so good. I usually give up on them after about 3 reloads...

basicly like the man said, if they won't hold the stuff inside anymore, chuck it (or glue it closed for that one last loading then chuck it...

curley

My pard Old Top just recently had to buy some hulls to reload. It seems he finally could not reload any of the hulls he used to load with his dad when he waz a kid. They just finally gave up.

Unfortunately the newer shotshell hulls are not made so good. I usually give up on them after about 3 reloads...

basicly like the man said, if they won't hold the stuff inside anymore, chuck it (or glue it closed for that one last loading then chuck it...

curley

Or trim 'em and roll crimp for 1 last time.

If you are shooting smokeless powder loads then when the hull mouth splits or will no longer give a good crimp you may trim them back to 2 1/2 inch hulls. Shotgun hulls are measured in a fired condition and not the loaded length. After trimming them they may be reloaded and sealed with a roll crimp. The roll crimp may be applied with a hand machine or a roll crimp tool in a hand drill or bench mounted drill. The BP shells that I load for Frontier Cartridge will at times burn through just above the case head with a fine pin hole. I usually just use them one time.

My Dad was a trapshooter. He reloaded AA's for years. When he first started out, he put a little tickmark on on them to see how many times he reloaded the hulls. After a few years, and with dozens of tickmarks, he quit keeping track, and just reloaded them till they split, and then chucked 'em. Dad had some hulls that were over 20 years old and had been reloaded god only knows how many times.

I follow the same proceedure that he did. And, since I don't shoot the shotgun near as much as he did, I guess that my hulls will last me a lifetime of reloading.

Archived