SASS Wire Forum

CZ Hammered Coachguns

Mosey West

I'd like to hear from the actual owners or shooters of these shotguns. Not hear-say evidence! They are pricey compared to the Chinese guns. Thumbs up or down. Like the description says, what

problems have you had.

Thanks,

Mosey West

I have a 16 ga S X S and it is great. Shoot great. I dont shoot much because I dont load 16 ga,just 12 ga and 410 ga.

Hi

I have a hammered Chinese gun and i have been shooting it for two years with no problem and it works fine. Tricked out it razn about $500 dont count out the chinese guns. Reasonable and very good a little on the heavy side but outside of that they are fine. But i just bought a SKB single trigger 200E that is the sweetest thing i have ever fired all tricked out anywhere from $1300-$2500 but worth every penny if it is done right.

Ct Yankee

Hey Mosey, get ahold of Chili Pepper Kid, that is what he shoots, he trouble at the beginning when he bought it, then later also, but I think all is ok now, just get ahold of him, I'm sure he will tell you

All for now JD Trampas

Save at least half the price and find a Liberty II. Same gun. I have shot 2 of the Liberty II models and have shot one of them 4 matches a month since 2004 and have never had anything go wrong with it.

JD, I've already corresponded with Mosey via e-mail. But here's what I said:

I've had problems with the left hammer falling. The gunsmith in Van Meter, Iowa said the wood was rubbing against the workings inside which prevented the hammer from falling. He fixed it and it worked good for a year but over time the wood swelled and started rubbing again. He said this time he gave it enough clearance that it shouldn't happen again.

Other than this problem it's been fine. I should probably send it off for a real action job as it's stiff.

I like the looks of it. Company

I have serious shotgun envy over Naco's antiqued TTN!

Chili Pepper Kid

JD, I've already corresponded with Mosey via e-mail. But here's what I said:

I've had problems with the left hammer falling. The gunsmith in Van Meter, Iowa said the wood was rubbing against the workings inside which prevented the hammer from falling. He fixed it and it worked good for a year but over time the wood swelled and started rubbing again. He said this time he gave it enough clearance that it shouldn't happen again.

Other than this problem it's been fine. I should probably send it off for a real action job as it's stiff.

I like the looks of it. Company

I have serious shotgun envy over Naco's antiqued TTN!

Chili Pepper Kid

Chili, if you ever need any parts like mainsprings for lightening the action, Numrich has them under KBI Liberty shotgun.

Chili, if you ever need any parts like mainsprings for lightening the action, Numrich has them under KBI Liberty shotgun.

Thanks for the tip.

CPK

I have had my CZ for 3 years, have used it maybe 6 times.

Its not as easy to run as my TTN.

It is by far the most beautiful shotgun I own, but not the fastest.

Just my 2 cents

Asa

BTT for good comments or problems.

Mosey West

Mosey,

I've worked several of these now. Both the hammered and the hammerless. To be honest with you I'm a bit disappointed in them. In the past, if you found a gun that was nicely done on the outside you could trust the inside was too. These CZ SXS's aren't like that. They are nicely fit and finished on the outside but the insides are terrible, poorly fitted and then way over sprung to overcome the poor fit.

Many folks assume a finely finish gun always works better. To manufacture a gun upward of 40% of the cost can be attributed to the final finish. Just because it looks good doesn't mean it works good.

For Hammerless as stiff as the Russian made Baikals are I think they are better done inside than these CZ's.

For a hammer gun the TTN is definately the better option.

I had one that I used for cowboy shooting for a while.

Beautiful gun.

All the springs were twice the tension needed.

But, it was easy to disassemble and work on.

I lightened it up and it became my every match gun.

However, after about a year, the under-rib (if that's the name) crumpled and the forearm lug broke loose.

I shipped it back and they sent a new one. Every bit as stiff as the first.

The under-rib on the 1st only went from the lug to the front of the barrels. It did NOT go from the lug to the rear of the barrels.

The new one had the rib both before and after the lug.

I haven't had time to lighten this one up, yet.

Thanks to all of you for the replies. It sort of scares a guy out of the market. I'll bet if you got a good action job on one of these you'd have something to be proud of though. Rifles,

handguns and just about everything else in this game has to have a good action job by a good gunsmith to run smooth and reliable. Next thing will be action jobs on gun-carts so you can be the

first one to get to the next stage.

Thanks again,

Mosey West

Archived