SASS Wire Forum

Is a Rossi Model 1892 in 44 Mag Strong Enough

Smithy

Whether or not you all have noticed, I now live in a rather obscure portion of the California central valley where it is flatland as far as the eye can see and much farther beyond that. At least a good hours drive to the nearest SASS facility or place that would allow discharge of black powder so due to age, health, and the fact that my wife has to drive me anywhere I need to go, I have chosen to get out of SASS (and the slight possibility of only shooting once maybe twice per year) and going smokeless in 44 magnum with fewer firearms and gear and possibly gearing up for a guided pig hunt at some point in my future. Before I reach an age or physical condition where I couldn't be able to do it.

In SASS I had a stainless Rossi 92 in 45 LC that would fire anything I put into it, but that was all black powder ie. light loads I guess. I'm looking to replace that gun with its 44 magnum sister and was wondering about its durability in the 44 magnum department. Can it handle a constant diet of stout 44 mag loads? I know that is what has been indicated on the Wire with other calibers in this model, but I've never heard it said for the 44 mag chambering. I hopefully will end up with a solid and stiff load that will serve as a good compromise between the 92 and my old model Vaquero in the same chambering. Thanks in advance for any and all advice. Smithy.

Smithy,

The 92 is a very strong design. They are available factory chambered in 454 Casull, so they should handle any factory loaded or any published load data in 44 mag you put in it.

Good luck in your future ventures.

Smoke

Any modern gun is designed to handle the SAAMI specs for the round it is chambered. The Rossi 92 will handle any factory loaded 44 mag round, and that will get you more than enough mojo to take on any hogs you come across.

Where folks sometimes get into trouble is when the hot rod the ammo and push it beyond factory specs. At that point, the rifle will be too painful to shoot.

Howdy,

I would contact Nate Kiowa Jones and go with whatever he says.

Look for an accuracy load, most any 44 mag is going to do in critters.

And probably 45 colt could be loaded up fer hunting too.

If one aint enuf you got nine more where it came from.....

Best

CR

Yes and you really don't need to push the 44 mag for hunting unless you just want to. I have killed a pile of hogs (one over 300+) and many of deer with a Marlin 94P and factory Winchester USA 240 grain rounds......they group very well for that rifle.

Check with Nate and consider loading your 45 hot. It will certainly do the job.

The 92 is nothing more than a scaled down 1886. The 1886 is the strongest lever that Winchester made. The 44 mag when loaded on the hot side will still be with in the range of the 92 and it's strength zone. The standard hunting loads for the 44 mag don't need any help to bring down the pigs, even the big, nasty sows.

Whether or not you all have noticed, I now live in a rather obscure portion of the California central valley where it is flatland as far as the eye can see and much farther beyond that. At least a good hours drive to the nearest SASS facility or place that would allow discharge of black powder so due to age, health, and the fact that my wife has to drive me anywhere I need to go, I have chosen to get out of SASS (and the slight possibility of only shooting once maybe twice per year) and going smokeless in 44 magnum with fewer firearms and gear and possibly gearing up for a guided pig hunt at some point in my future. Before I reach an age or physical condition where I couldn't be able to do it.

In SASS I had a stainless Rossi 92 in 45 LC that would fire anything I put into it, but that was all black powder ie. light loads I guess. I'm looking to replace that gun with its 44 magnum sister and was wondering about its durability in the 44 magnum department. Can it handle a constant diet of stout 44 mag loads? I know that is what has been indicated on the Wire with other calibers in this model, but I've never heard it said for the 44 mag chambering. I hopefully will end up with a solid and stiff load that will serve as a good compromise between the 92 and my old model Vaquero in the same chambering. Thanks in advance for any and all advice. Smithy.

Frankly, for deer, and pigs, I'd have stayed at .45 Colt. There are SAAMI spec loadings out there for the '92 rifles that would work fine,

and a stout non-plus P load in the Colt or Ruger .45 is still a good close-in gun for those critters. You won't go wrong in .44 mag either,

and it is more versatile at the top end .. ..

SC

Thanks guys for all the info. The reason all of this happened was I ended up with a sweetheart deal first on a Ruger Alaskan (I've always wanted one) in 44 magnum and shortly following that a Ruger Bisley Hunter in 44 magnum (thus my entry into 44 magnum). I then found a brand new, unfired in the box old model Bisley Vaquero in 44 magnum and the sickness continued. I then planed on voiding myself of all the SASS 45 LC black powder stuff and stick to the smokeless 44 magnum loads. If I could come up with an accurate load that did as well in the revolvers as it did in the 92 I'd be in business only having to load one load. Much like I did for SASS with one 45 LC load for both rifle and pistol. I've already got a 310 RNFP bullet mold which I know is kind of heavy, but I did start out shooting a 300 grain 45 LC load in SASS. Heavy bullets make for a great knock down round, I know that much so I was just concerned about battering the gun was all. That 300 grain pill was first used in Old Armies in SASS and I switched to a 200 grain load when I went to the new model Bisley's. They just didn't look beefy enough. I'll sneak up on a load of 2400 for the 44 with this bullet and should be in business. Thanks again for all the advice. Smithy.

My load in .45 Colt with 3F black under a 255 gr, bullet clocks 1,260 out of my 92 with a 24 inch barrel ...

And I also load the 300 gr. Speer bullet to 1,580 Fps. .......

I say keep the .45 !!!!!!

I shot a big Alberta Whitetail with my 250 gr. load ,,, it shattered 6 vertibra on the way into the back of the shull at 85 yards ..... That deer was right dead right Now!!!

Jabez Cowboy

Another vote for the .45 Colt. Mainly because... some .44Mag Rossi's were chambered and bored a mite larger than SAAMI specs. I've heard of them going as large as .433 groove diameter. THAT can play havoc with your accuracy potential. If you're casting your own and sizing your brass accordingly, that ain't a significant problem, but if you're buying ready-mades (either bullets or cartridges), that might just upset the apple cart.

The .45 Colt versions have not garnered that reputation. I understand that Rossi has now corrected that flaw... but the potential is out there in the used gun or "new, old stock" marketplace.

I have a Marlin 94 in .44 that is a project gun: 16-1/4" barrel, reddot sight, shortened stock, ligth action job. Factory 240-grain JSPs are 1650 fps (rated at 1300 in 6" barrel) with less recoil than my .30-30. It is easy to get 270 grain bullets to 1450 or slightly more. 3" groups are 100 yards are possible.

This is a serious field gun that I would use for deer, hogs and possibly for close-quarter black bears.

There is loading data out there to get to 1900 fps but this surpasses the bullet design and has no real benefit.

Smithy,

My Rossi 92 in 44Mag works well as a woods gun for whitetail. The 240gr factory loads are quite chunky in the action but shoot well. I am looking to try the new Hornady Leverevolution boolits. The concept is awesome, cannot say from experience yet. (Also looks like they make 'em for either of your 'sister' rifles, ++++)

Info

Possible Source

Artic

Archived