SASS Wire Forum

Winchester 97-rare AND Unique

Well, my Minister of Finance thinks she may want to shoot a double.

Soooooooooo, up for sale is her tricked out 12 ga.

1897 Winchester;

12 ga;

18 1/2 inch ribbed barrel (that's correct-ribbed);

large front bead;

dake blue finish in at least 90%+ finish;

this gun is so smooth that it could probably rack the next round after each shot by itself;

OK, that may be a bit of an exaggeration, but it's way smooth.

There are a few dings and such from use.

Palo Verde rebuild and action job;

This gun is so good that my Minister of Finance (Sassy Dancer) won Bordertown using this gun in 2010.

FYI-we had the TG's review the gun and it is SASS legal.

Gun is great for man/woman/child.

Over $950.00 invested.

Sell for $900.00 plus shipping and insurance to your FFL dealer.

No sales to California as my gundealer does not do business there.

Questions or pictures available via e-mail if you contact me at::::::

Raceshots@aol.com

Only trade interested in at this time would be a race ready SKB single ttrigger gun.

To save on shipping and insurance ,if interested I can bring this gun to Railhead later this month.

pictures posted to latter edit below

Ther is NO REQIREMENT state or federal for you to ship a long gun thru a local dealer. You can ship direct to a dealer in California by your self.

Well, my Minister of Finance thinks she may want to shoot a double.

Soooooooooo, up for sale is her tricked out 12 ga.

1897 Winchester;

12 ga;

18 1/2 inch ribbed barrel (that's correct-ribbed);

large front bead;

dake blue finish in at least 90%+ finish;

this gun is so smooth that it could probably rack the next round after each shot by itself;

OK, that may be a bit of an exaggeration, but it's way smooth.

There are a few dings and such from use.

Palo Verde rebuild and action job;

This gun is so good that my Minister of Finance (Sassy Dancer) won Bordertown using this gun in 2010.

FYI-we had the TG's review the gun and it is SASS legal.

Gun is great for man/woman/child.

Over $950.00 invested.

Sell for $900.00 plus shipping and insurance to your FFL dealer.

No sales to California as my gundealer does not do business there.

Questions or pictures available via e-mail if you contact me at::::::

Raceshots@aol.com

Only trade interested in at this time would be a race ready SKB single ttrigger gun.

To save on shipping and insurance ,if interested I can bring this gun to Railhead later this month.

Howdy, I am a Ca. FFL and you myay ship to a Ca. FFl direct it does not have to come from your FFL just make sure you get a copy of the Ca. FFL first they can fax a signed copy to you. Then sjip it thru Fedex or UPS do not use the pony express. That's it

Hope it helps. AL

Thank you all for the info.

I ship it thry my local gun dealer via U.S. mail as it is FAR less expensive than Fed Ex.

I thabk you all for your time and info.

If a buyer wants to pay about $75.00-90.00 thru FRD EX rather than $35-50.00 to ship USPO with insurance, I will reconsider shipping to Cali.

Just so you know if a longgun is shipped thru the USPS to be legal the firing mechanism has to be removed.

Sigh.

No they don't.

11.3 Rifles and Shotguns

Although unloaded rifles and shotguns not precluded by 11.1.1e and 11.1.2 are mailable, mailers must comply with the Gun Control Act of 1968, Public Law 90-618, 18 USC 921, et seq., and the rules and regulations promulgated thereunder, 27 CFR 178, as well as state and local laws. The mailer may be required by the USPS to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the gun is unloaded and not precluded by 11.1.1e.

Sigh.

No they don't.

Sorry I am only going by what the postal inspector told me 3 days ago when I picked up gun recievers from the post office. AL

Maybe you should read all those little postal code sections

You guys do what ever you want Iam done.

Here we go again.....good grief!!!

Regarding shipment of firearms, virtually NO ONE at the US Postal Service can find their collective posterior with either or both hands, even with assistance from a kerosene lantern. The following is only my advice and you should do what you think is best, whether you use this information or ignore it:

If you want info you can count on from USPS, ask to speak to the Post Master and ask him to find the regulations and show them to you. The troops at USPS just do not know the rules regarding shipping firearms, so if I have any questions regarding guns when I go in I just ask for the Postmaster so I don't waste time.

As stated....NO you DO NOT have to dismantle the gun or kill a chicken by the light of a full moon, smear the blood on your body and burn the feathers while singing Kumbaya to ship a legal long gun via the US Postal Service. (Only a FFL holder may ship a handgun via the US Postal Service.)

I advise you to use caution however, to ship the thing in a (cheap-o) hard case, well padded, regardless of which carrier you decide to use, because strange things happen at sea and in the bowels of the Postal Service, UPS and FedEx.

ALSO....REGARDING THE SELLER OBTAINING A COPY OF THE RECEIVING FFL HOLDER'S LICENSE:

I suggest that the seller obtain a copy of the Buyer's FFL holder's FFL via fax, regular mail or a scan via email and then go to the BATFE website and use their EZ-Check system to verify that the FFL is legitimate. I make sure (after verifying that the license appears genuine) that the addresses match on the website and the FFL copy). I ONLY SHIP TO THE ADDRESS noted in the ATF EZ-Check system. If shipping to the BATFE-listed address does not set well with the Buyer and the FFL holder, I would pass on the sale. If you do not wish to go to the BATFE site, I suggest you require that the Buyer's FFL holder send you a copy of his license via regular mail, signed with an original signature in blue ink to make it easy to verify that the signature is original. ALSO WHEN I GO to the Post Office (or UPS or FedEx), I bring along the FFL copy, because some of these people make up their own rules on the fly and may insist on seeing the FFL before they accept the package for shipment (this is NOT a requirement by any of the carriers) and it is easier to show the FFL than it is to argue with a fool.

ALSO REGARDING THE SELLER'S RESPONSIBILITY:

I head off any Buyer's side processing issues and save trouble by including a copy of my current, valid Driver License with the shipment and either fax it, mail it by USPS or send a scan of it via email to the FFL holder. Many times this is a requirement for processing the sale on the Buyer's end.

Thanks for all the chatter.

Anyone interested in buying this gun?

Southwest,

Figure out how to post pictures. The pictures will sell this one-of-a-kind gun. :) No one has or has seen a '97 like this before.

What exactly makes this gun unique...enough to warrent a $900 price tag?

Phantom

:FlagAm:

Aside from the custom "race work" and re-blue (an assumption based on the "rebuild" phrase) it has a vent rib, which is an oddity on the '97. Most likely an aftermarket (Simmons?) add-on. I have handled both a solid frame and a take down with such a feature.

There was a take down model for sale at this link:

http://www.auctionar...itemnum=7540224

Olen

It also has tournament wood, skinny checkered forearm and English straight stock

this gun can be spotted two posses away :)

Did it start life as a trap gun?

Olen

Initial batch of pix sent.

Will send more this weekend if you're still interested.

Windy

To add a little for a good pard. I've seen and shot this fine 97 it is one of the slickest one I've had the pleasure to handle. It is one fine shotgun and would be a fine addition to anyones brace of firearms. Just my 2 cents. Give your bride a hug for me Bruce..

Buffalo Sam Peed

Interesting. Just an FYI and I'm not trying to high jack this thread. I've removed 5 or 6 vent ribs from 97's over the years because the wild bunch told me they were ilegal. Simmons did all those vent rib conversions for Winchester or the owner. They usually botched the reblue pretty bad by rounding all the corner on the receiver. I have not seen pictures of this one so I'm not saying this gun is like that.

Interesting. Just an FYI and I'm not trying to high jack this thread. I've removed 5 or 6 vent ribs from 97's over the years because the wild bunch told me they were ilegal. Simmons did all those vent rib conversions for Winchester or the owner. They usually botched the reblue pretty bad by rounding all the corner on the receiver. I have not seen pictures of this one so I'm not saying this gun is like that.

I have some large, high definition photos of the gun and the edges are sharp and what I can see of the serial numbers is clear and well defined. I would like to see some more of the left side, the top and the bottom of the gun. It has an early stock w/o checkering (with a recoil pad added) but not a straight English trap stock. The forearm is checkered. I suspect the wood was replaced at some point. The rib terminates just short of the takedown sleeve. Overall a very nice rebuild.

Olen

Archived