SASS Wire Forum

What bullet weight for 45C

Cassalong Hopidy

I have several bottles of Trail Boss, so I am going to use that powder in making up some 45C loads for my Vaqueros and Renegade rifle. I will experiment to find a good charge, but my question is what bullet weight to go with. I am inclined to a 200 gr RNFP but interested in any real life experience you may have with that and bullets of other weights. Thanks.

Cassalong Hopidy

I mostly use the 200 gr RNFP with TB and have had nothing but good experience with that combo. I am not shooting puff loads (not sure if that is possible in a 45 Colt anyway... ^_^ ) and the recoil is slight and very manageable, especially in my big old clunky tank- like Vaqueros. I have used 250 gr as well and that also works great, perhaps with just a bit less blowback.

Good luck.

Dan

I have several bottles of Trail Boss, so I am going to use that powder in making up some 45C loads for my Vaqueros and Renegade rifle. I will experiment to find a good charge, but my question is what bullet weight to go with. I am inclined to a 200 gr RNFP but interested in any real life experience you may have with that and bullets of other weights. Thanks.

Cassalong Hopidy

I use Missouri bullets 250 gr LRN, loaded with TB : Left side is 250, right is 180!

My sights are unaltered as a result of choosing the 250, I'd have to file for a lighter bullet - and besides - the 250 is righteous on KD's.

Shadow Catcher

p.s.- in my Rossi rifles the POI is two sight clicks different than when I use Tite-Group - a hundred F/S faster load!

...and besides - the 250 is righteous on KD's.

Amen to that!

:lol:

Hey Cassalong,

I've settled on 200gr LRNFP w/TrailBoss. I use same load for my pistols and rifle. 250gr works well also, see no appreciable difference at the distances shot in a CAS match, so opt to save a few dollars per thousand rounds using the 200gr.

Bucky

TB is a great powder -- mid range per Hodgdon data. 180 or 200 RNFP for pistols, 250 for the rifle. The heavier bullet in the rifle results in less blowback, plus you use less powder. I don't notice much difference in recoil with the 250s, but then I'm relatively insensitive to recoil in long guns.

If you want light loads and minimum recoil in pistols and rifle, that's a whole different story. What's your objective (other than using your bottles of TB)?

Missouri Bullet #4 (200 grain rnfp) handles all my 45 cowboy needs including 45 ACP for wild bunch. I use TrailBoss in both 45 colt and 45 acp. I bought a big can of it and don't like having too many different kinds of powder in my house.

The 200 grain bullet handles KDs just fine. I wouldn't use the 200 grain lead bullet deer hunting, but that is a different issue.

200 grain,and don't be skimpy on the powder charge.TB is very wimpy at the low ends,I'd suggest going straight to the middle charge and working up from there.

I have used 200 gr with Trail Boss since day one of my reloading. I have gone up and down the published data scale, with mixed results. When I went to the minimums, I got inconsistent ignition. They all went off, but one would be loud, one quiet, ect. For the last year and a half I am exactly in the middle of the load data on the websight for 200 grain bullet. They work really good, accurate and recoil is such that I can shoot them as fast as I can run the lever. My only problem is my 73 gets a little dirty after about 150 rounds. When 2 or 3 people use my rifle for 5 stages, it can get sticky by the end of the day. Tight crimp helps, or saying "no" to people that want to borrow your stuff.

YMMV

I have used 200 gr with Trail Boss since day one of my reloading. I have gone up and down the published data scale, with mixed results. When I went to the minimums, I got inconsistent ignition. They all went off, but one would be loud, one quiet, ect. For the last year and a half I am exactly in the middle of the load data on the websight for 200 grain bullet. They work really good, accurate and recoil is such that I can shoot them as fast as I can run the lever. My only problem is my 73 gets a little dirty after about 150 rounds. When 2 or 3 people use my rifle for 5 stages, it can get sticky by the end of the day. Tight crimp helps, or saying "no" to people that want to borrow your stuff.

YMMV

Yup.

200 grain,and don't be skimpy on the powder charge.TB is very wimpy at the low ends,I'd suggest going straight to the middle charge and working up from there.

+1.....exactly my thoughts.

Missouri Bullet #4 (200 grain rnfp) handles all my 45 cowboy needs including 45 ACP for wild bunch. I use TrailBoss in both 45 colt and 45 acp. I bought a big can of it and don't like having too many different kinds of powder in my house.

The 200 grain bullet handles KDs just fine. I wouldn't use the 200 grain lead bullet deer hunting, but that is a different issue.

Big +1 to everything Bart said.

It's been my experience that Trail Boss is the dirtyest burning powder you can use in the 45LC. Maximum loads w/200 grn. bullets arent too bad, but the use of the 250 grainers is much cleaner.

I have found that using the fastest burning powders works best with this caliber. Powders such as Clays, Nitro 100, or HP38 at near max loads, will burn cleanest with moderate to little blowback.

RBK

Here is my pet load.....

Pistol Colt SAA 5.5 barrel

Rifle Uberti 1873

205 Gr RNFP moly coated lead from Bear Creek Bullets in CA

Trail Boss x.x grains

WLP Primers

676 FPS Pistol / 836 FPS Rifle

I use a Dillon 550

:FlagAm:

200 RNFP, and I downloaded the Trail Boss until I was getting ~600 fps on the chrono. Easy recoil.

Okie

Mind sending me a PM (assuming I getit) with the charge you used? I like my pistols shooting around 650 fps and can translate from there. Shot with some reloads lower than the stated minimum and did not seem to have any problem.

Cassalong Hopidy

Hey Cassalong,

I've settled on 200gr LRNFP w/TrailBoss. I use same load for my pistols and rifle. 250gr works well also, see no appreciable difference at the distances shot in a CAS match, so opt to save a few dollars per thousand rounds using the 200gr.

Bucky

Bucky

Can you send me a PM with the charge you use? Thanks.

Cassalong

Okie

Mind sending me a PM (assuming I getit) with the charge you used? I like my pistols shooting around 650 fps and can translate from there. Shot with some reloads lower than the stated minimum and did not seem to have any problem.

Cassalong Hopidy

PM sent.

Howdy-

Find that yes, 250s with a midrange load are cleanest w TB from my rifle ( LONG Uberti '73), but 200s and even 185s so little difference in accuracy IF enough powder is used along with a healthy crimp.

For my handguns I was using 200s in 45 Colt cases until I tried 45 Schofield cases, which fit in my Original size Vaqueros just fine, bigger rims and all. What a pleasent experience! Since anything lighter than 200gr bullets wasn't listed, I of course tried out some Bear Creek moly coated 185s and 165s. Found I gained nothing but inconsistency by going too light on the powder- had much unburned stuff blowing out of the guns ( 5 1/2 " barrels). When charge wt was increased a bit, viola! I was using around 3 grains less powder with the 165 in the Schofiled cases compared to my lightest "clean" loads in 45Colt cases. The 185s hit to the same point of impact as the 200s for me, though the 165s hit a bit lower. My front sites are trimmed- I have a couple of Blackhawks if I really need heavy lead.

• 4 months later...

200 RNFP, and I downloaded the Trail Boss until I was getting ~600 fps on the chrono. Easy recoil.

Oki:

Can you PM me on your low end TB loads? I am right there with you and wordering what your findings were.

Zeke

SASS 89367

Been using 250 grain for 12 years, 1 grain below powder manufactor's maximum recomendation with a healthy crimp

IMHO 45s were made to go BOOM not puff. :)

I cast my own, so the amount of lead I use matters to me. I have a mould for 200 gr. and loaded them with TB and they worked just fine. However, I thought I could do better and went with a 160 gr RNFP (Lee mould) under 5.4g of TB. I get 5 rounds with the same lead as 4 rounds from the 200 gr. They are accurate, cycle well in my "66, have no problem with the primer staying put and as they have a beveled base they slip into the case with no problems. Nothing wrong with the 200 gr, just like the 160 gr better. WW

Archived