SASS Wire Forum

I'm out of boolits and I am cranky

Grizzly Dave

Used the last of my lead today, so even though I'm off work tomorrow, I can't load up the rest of the cases I have ready to load.

Dang, that reminds me, need to go out and shut off the tumbler.

Be right back.

Well suckage, after 8 hours in the tumbler I expected bright shiney brass, but I got was hazy antique brushed brass looking cases. Now if'n I take and rub them with a blue shop towel they brighten right up, but I ain't gonna do that to all of them.

Frankfort Arsenal tumbler, media, and brass polish. Media been used for maybe 3-4000 cases if that.

Did I use too much polish? Did that leave a coating that bonded dust to the cases?

Is the media done for?

Lizard litter is what I'll go get, any type to look for or stay away from?

Grizz

Well suckage, after 8 hours in the tumbler I expected bright shiney brass, but I got was hazy antique brushed brass looking cases. Now if'n I take and rub them with a blue shop towel they brighten right up, but I ain't gonna do that to all of them.

Frankfort Arsenal tumbler, media, and brass polish. Media been used for maybe 3-4000 cases if that.

Did I use too much polish? Did that leave a coating that bonded dust to the cases?

Is the media done for?

Grizz

Try some Hope's (Not Hoppe's for all you old timers) Brass Polish found at Bed, Bath , And Beyond. Just as good as, if not better than Flitz with no ammonia to hurt the brass and they come out nice and shiney.

Boothill

Is the media done for?

Grizz

Griz, your media is dirty. Either change it or cut up a few dryer sheets and run the tumbler for a while. You will be surprised how much difference this little trick will make. When the dryer sheets come out dirty, replace them to help keep the media clean. Your brass will start coming out of the tumbler bright again.

Warhorse

If you are out of projectiles, why aren't you casting more?

Joe, I don't cast.

Aw, my! I do declare! How could I be seen with a man with dull brass? :blush:

How could that be, when you're so bright? :wacko:

AJ

I promise to have nice bright and shiney brass if ever we meet.

Grizz,

Ya need to put that tumbler on a timer so ya don't have ta keep goin out and turnin it off. I use the green corncob media and it works for me.

Good idea.

I went to the pet store to buy some lizard litter, but they didn't have anything suitable, just stuff that was sand or bark, none of the crushed walnut stuff. Guess I'll stop at a sporting goods store on my way home from work tomorrow and get some 'real' media.

Grizz

Joe, I don't cast.

I promise to have nice bright and shiney brass if ever we meet.

Good idea.

I went to the pet store to buy some lizard litter, but they didn't have anything suitable, just stuff that was sand or bark, none of the crushed walnut stuff. Guess I'll stop at a sporting goods store on my way home from work tomorrow and get some 'real' media.

Grizz

Rice works well too.

Also, somewhere I read to take a couple of used dry softener sheets and cut them into 2" squares and toss them in. They will catch a lot of the crud and help extend the life of the media.

I just saw some black helicopters headed west!

Birdgun, well besides prayer, I'm not too good at fasting, I guess I'll have to rely on the 1500 or so rounds of match ammo plus non match ammo to hold off the hostiles.

Archived