SASS Wire Forum

One (only?) good thing about a drought......

No skeeters. Doesn't seem to affect the fly population too much howsoever. :angry:

JHC

It also serves to preserve the time honored opening question for any conversation among Texans: "Had any rain?"

I moved from 16 inch rain belt in West Texas to 55+ in MS and that phrase would be the first question my parents asked in conversation. Course we would be soaking wet. Right now my answer from here in OK would be "nope and not likely".

No skeeters. Doesn't seem to affect the fly population too much howsoever. :angry:

JHC

No Skeeters would be a good thing.. My sister lives in Van Fleck TX and I was pretty sure I had a transfusion on my visit to her home.. lol.

Not much grass mowin' either. I saw on a drought map today where large portions of TX, OK, and LA are having extreme to exceptional drought. This is ripe for wildfires. Sure prayin' for some rain down your way, and I wish I could send you ours.

Southern Wisconsin here. I'd send you our rain if I could. Saying it has been wet around here is like calling a kettle black. I feel for you but not too much right now. I'd really like a stretch of dry weather. The plants we want to grow aren't but everything else is like made. The grass is hard to keep up with. Gnats everywhere. Maybe I should come visit. I think it follows me where ever I go.

Growing up in Memphis, near the Wolf River bottoms and with a sizable piece of wetlands at the end of our block (swamp . . . LOL) we never had a shortage of mosquitoes even in dry years. Now being on the delta, they could fly in droves so thick that they would look like a dark cloud.

And these were damn big suckers (pun intended) I'm not saying you needed a shotgun to bring one down, (I'm not saying you didn't either) but it was common to see the city fogging neighborhoods (might have been a secret experiment-I'm just saying) Apparently the dense clouds of mosquitoes were a hazard to navigation up until the time Fred Smith found a way to harness them and use them during take off to assist heavily loaded Fed Ex planes. I believe that is why Fed Ex has remained in Memphis as the fuel savings are not to be underestimated.

I have fond memories of leaving Memphis.

Yep, wildfires all over East Texas last few days..dry as a bone..100+ low humidity and Wind!! Feels like standing in front of the biggest Hair dryer you could imagine!! Last night at 2 AM it was still 93 !

Now that's warm. I shake my head when I hear Arizonans say, "but it's a dry heat". So is a blast furnace. I'll stay up here in the hinterlands and come visit you folks in the winter. I can put more clothes on but I can't peel my skin off. What we pay for heat in the winter, you pay for AC in the summer. I can not even imagine what that would be like sitting on top of a horse. Good lordy gordy. That's a warm one.

Growing up in Memphis, near the Wolf River bottoms and with a sizable piece of wetlands at the end of our block (swamp . . . LOL) we never had a shortage of mosquitoes even in dry years. Now being on the delta, they could fly in droves so thick that they would look like a dark cloud.

And these were damn big suckers (pun intended) I'm not saying you needed a shotgun to bring one down, (I'm not saying you didn't either) but it was common to see the city fogging neighborhoods (might have been a secret experiment-I'm just saying) Apparently the dense clouds of mosquitoes were a hazard to navigation up until the time Fred Smith found a way to harness them and use them during take off to assist heavily loaded Fed Ex planes. I believe that is why Fed Ex has remained in Memphis as the fuel savings are not to be underestimated.

I have fond memories of leaving Memphis.

Likewise, there is nothing I miss about the central Mississippi Delta except maybe the crappie fishing.

Miss Deja, Squawty here. If the town your sister lives in is in Matagorda County, that would be Van Vleck. I lived next door most of my life and people always mis-heard the name. ( :

I lived in the Tampa-St. Pete area when I was a little kid. The skeeters down there had N-numbers and landing lights and small gators even hid from 'em! :lol:

Archived