SASS Wire Forum

Macbook / MS Word question?

Aunt Jen

Hi guys. I'm sorry to bother you with this, but I'm guessing some of you may have an idea?

Sometimes I need to do some work on a laptop, a Macbook, in MS Word. That's normally fine. But today there was something I was working on for 4 hours during the day today that has disappeared.

What I was working on, on the macbook, this morning, is still there. But what I worked on during part of the day today is gone. I KNOW I saved it many times (alternately with command S and with file/save clicking) and prior to closing the cover (sleep). I could swear it was the same file I worked on earlier today, as there are not many files on the macbook. But I cannot find today's work anywhere on the macbook. Only work up to and including this morning.

What I worked on this morning is there; what I worked on today during the day is gone. It's a lot of work.

I've searched for key words on the computer, and it only brings up the file I could swear I was in. Good. But when I open that file, it has what I worked on this morning, but not the greater work I did during the day today.

Does anyone know where I can look for this data in my macbook-laptop?

Thank you

Aunt Jen

Hi guys. I'm sorry to bother you with this, but I'm guessing some of you may have an idea?

Sometimes I need to do some work on a laptop, a Macbook, in MS Word. That's normally fine. But today there was something I was working on for 4 hours during the day today that has disappeared.

What I was working on, on the macbook, this morning, is still there. But what I worked on during part of the day today is gone. I KNOW I saved it many times (alternately with command S and with file/save clicking) and prior to closing the cover (sleep). I could swear it was the same file I worked on earlier today, as there are not many files on the macbook. But I cannot find today's work anywhere on the macbook. Only work up to and including this morning.

What I worked on this morning is there; what I worked on today during the day is gone. It's a lot of work.

I've searched for key words on the computer, and it only brings up the file I could swear I was in. Good. But when I open that file, it has what I worked on this morning, but not the greater work I did during the day today.

Does anyone know where I can look for this data in my macbook-laptop?

Thank you

Aunt Jen

Did you save it or update as you went along??

Texas Lizard

PS when word it open can you see history info under file folder...In the left side of screen...You might find it there...

HI. I checked, and I don't see anything under "file" that is related to history. It's a macbook, using snow leopard, using Word for mac 2011.

But I was thinking: (I know, Griz, I shouldn't do that)

When I got home and opened my macbook, I used a flash drive. I thought I transferred the file to the flash drive, but MAYBE I transferred the flash file from earlier that monring to the drive on the macbook, thereby covering up the file I worked on all day wiht the one I used that morning. That would explain it if that's what I did.

So the questions is: is there a way to recover the file as it looked like earlier this day, before that flash drive occurrence?

Aunt Jen

Hi AJ. From your desktop (when the word "Finder" shows next to the apple in the top left of your screen), hold down the command key and type an "f". This launches the find function. Type the name of the file you've been working on. Chances are you'll find multiple copies of the document in various places on your computer. It's easy to lose track of files and save them in unintended locations.

Good luck!

Hi all,

Thanks, and I did the search: only the one that's supposed to be there, but an earlier version.

I'm not sure, but my best guess is that I may have saved the earlier version back onto it from the flash. I wasn't aware of doing it, but sometimes we can be absent-minded. So it's only a guess.

I am sorry to have to go back and re-work the area. It took 4 hours the first time, but being more familiar, it may only take a couple hours the second time.

Thanks for your efforts.

Aunt Jen

(Who is not really much of a confuser person.)

Anything from Microsoft is an abomination. I want my Mac to do what I tell it to, not what Bill Gates thinks it should.

Did you try a spotlight (the magnifying glass icon in the upper right of the screen) search?

try it with what ever the Microsoft software uses for an extension at the end of the file names (doc?) and then sort that by date to see anything from yesterday

(BTW I agree with NOZ I have to run windows under boot camp for a chunk of software I need for work and the only computer problems I ever have are with Windows)

Cheers

Windy

Archived