SASS Wire Forum

non-top strap holsters for 1911

Trigger Mike

I usually carry a 1911 in a holster with a top strap that keeps the hammer from falling as it is snapped under the hammer(cocked and locked). How safe is it to carry a 1911 cocked and locked hammer back without that leather strap in some of these IWB or fast draw holsters?

I have carried one every day I work for the past several years, and off and on for better than 30 years. I've never had an issue with it. My regular carry holster is a Bianchi CarryLok. One of my others is a Wilson Combat Rapid Response. Neither of these has a strap between the hammer and the frame.

Seeing as I keep regular maintenance on my guns, and check to insure the grip and thumb safety are in working order, my 1911's are safe to carry cocked and locked, and I have no concern about accidental discharge with them.

I don't have the time with it as LawMan Mark, but I've been carrying a 1911 in a Fobus paddle holster as well as a couple of other styles for the past three years. I believe it all comes down to training with what you're carrying. The safety is not going to move without human input in a well designed holster.

Cocked and locked is percieved by the public as being dangerous. The pistol is used as a last resort for protection. The less you handle the pistol in Condition 1, the less likely you are going to have an accidental discharge. I was a LEO for almost 40 years, before I retired, and I carried a Govt. model and a Commander at various times, always in the cocked and locked position. The uniform and non-uniform holsters were thumb break with a strap between the hammer and firing pin. No discharges ever occured.

An NRA magazine a while back recommended carrying a 1911 cocked and locked in a thumb break holster. I prefer that for myself and have a pancake holster like that. I also have 2 IWB holsters, one tuck-able, without straps. I choose the holster I use by what I am wearing.

Archived