SASS Wire Forum

rust on canteen top

Trigger Mike

My Indian War Stainless Steel canteen has the cork top and the metal that holds the cork is rusted. If I melt beeswax and coat the metal portion will that prevent the cork from doing its job since likely some will get on the cork?

My Indian War Stainless Steel canteen has the cork top and the metal that holds the cork is rusted. If I melt beeswax and coat the metal portion will that prevent the cork from doing its job since likely some will get on the cork?

A little wax on the cork won't hurt anything. On the other hand, unless the rust is real bad, say it looks like the piece is about to rust away, why worry about it? Between events drain your canteen and store it with the cork out. Will be fine.

Trust me Mike I know dis fer a fact dat stainlee stell will not rust !

I'd check the chain used to hold the cork or what ever you use to hold yur cork...

Check yur water fer rust...

Or check to see ifin ya need a new cork.

But when ya aint usein' it....drain it and leave da cork out to air !!

Trust me Mike I know dis fer a fact dat stainlee stell will not rust !

I'd check the chain used to hold the cork or what ever you use to hold yur cork...

Check yur water fer rust...

Or check to see ifin ya need a new cork.

But when ya aint usein' it....drain it and leave da cork out to air !!

AP, on every stainless steel canteen I have seen the machine screw that goes through the cork and the nut and washer that hold it on are just regular mild steel. That is what rusts.

Worst case, if it gets too bad, or if in the field the cork gets pulled off the chain, you take a piece of fruit wood about three inches longer than the canteen is tall and whittle it down to a nice taper so that most of it is in the canteen and the part in the neck fits it as a stopper. I've seen people try to make wooden plugs not much longer than the cork and they always fall out. The first time I saw the long stick I wondered what the guy was thinking, then realized that the long one wouldn't fall out. A little flash of genius there. And just in case, the guy had drilled a hole through it, passed a rawhide lace through it and had that tied to the strap of the canteen.

By the way, when the seams leak because the canteen bounced off a rock or got dropped, the red high temperature silicon stuff makes a great patch on it. Looks just like sealing wax.

AP, on every stainless steel canteen I have seen the machine screw that goes through the cork and the nut and washer that hold it on are just regular mild steel. That is what rusts.

Worst case, if it gets too bad, or if in the field the cork gets pulled off the chain, you take a piece of fruit wood about three inches longer than the canteen is tall and whittle it down to a nice taper so that most of it is in the canteen and the part in the neck fits it as a stopper. I've seen people try to make wooden plugs not much longer than the cork and they always fall out. The first time I saw the long stick I wondered what the guy was thinking, then realized that the long one wouldn't fall out. A little flash of genius there. And just in case, the guy had drilled a hole through it, passed a rawhide lace through it and had that tied to the strap of the canteen.

By the way, when the seams leak because the canteen bounced off a rock or got dropped, the red high temperature silicon stuff makes a great patch on it. Looks just like sealing wax.

Yur right !!

Did some reseach about that and it's true. Dat's exactly what dey did and re-enactors still do.

Da red high temp silicon works great as well.

But....ifin ya got hard water like I did, it will change da color and smell of da cork.

Archived