SASS Wire Forum

Dance of the Walkers.....

Knarley Bob

Dawn broke early through the fog,skeeters buzzed as we set the steel. The work went quickly, as many hands makes the work more fun than not.

Today was the day, I have been looking forward to for many a shoot, I had finished the holsters for my Walkers. They holsered well, and today they got to dance.

Running 40 or so gr. of FFFG Goex, @ a hand cast round ball, and a slathering of TC bore butter/SPG lube, we commenced the shoot.

The posse winced at the roar of the mighty hand cannons at first, but then realised the historical importance of the guns. I explained that another 20 Gr. of powder was a "full load" and all I got was a "holy cow" response.

Walkers are heavy, 4 1/2 lbs dry, and in the fashion of the "Frontiersman" shooting them one handed is tough. I aint no spring chicken any more, but I did shoot according to the rules. I was worn out by the end of the day, and had a new respect fot the "Texas Rangers" for whom this gun was made.

I did not miss a target with the pistols, they shoot like a dream, but I did mess up with the rifle a time or two. All in all, was a Stirling day on the range.

See ya'll on the range later..... Knarley

..... we have a guy "Roland od Gilead" who usta shoot a pair of Walkers .... GUNFIGHTER .... :o

..................... full house loads too ....... :o:o ....

(he gave 'em up 'cause of "industrial damage" to his hands and wrists .... not the guns)

Got a pair of dem Walkers as well as da Dragoons.

When fired, da ramrod drops down and ya have to use da other hand to bring it back up.

I use 60 grains of Goex FFFg and a .457 lead ball.

Dat's a full load. I know cuz I checked out Civial War loads and der afacts at da libray.

When I touch one off evey one's jaw drops till dey git a taste of "Holy Black" !! :lol:

For those who've never shot one, here's what it's like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PF5-Wj-Stgs

As for the loading lever falling while you're shooting them gunfighter style, well, why do you think God gave you knees??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a68HbDLnftA

I made that video after Widowmaker Hill posted his under two second gunfighter run on Lead Dispenser's website. If I can shave 28 more seconds off my time then I'll have the record! :lol:

BTW, if you load more than 40 grains in them, you're really pushing the 1000fps rule. My 45 grain spout throws around 42-43 grains of FFFg. Two of five shot over a chronograph broke 1000fps. The other three were in the high 900's

For those who've never shot one, here's what it's like:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=PF5-Wj-Stgs

As for the loading lever falling while you're shooting them gunfighter style, well, why do you think God gave you knees??

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=a68HbDLnftA

I made that video after Widowmaker Hill posted his under two second gunfighter run on Lead Dispenser's website. If I can shave 28 more seconds off my time then I'll have the record! :lol:

BTW, if you load more than 40 grains in them, you're really pushing the 1000fps rule. My 45 grain spout throws around 42-43 grains of FFFg. Two of five shot over a chronograph broke 1000fps. The other three were in the high 900's

Most clubs I shoot at, dey don't use a chronograph. Now I don't load 60 grains all da time, just when I want impress folks !!! ;)

Hawk, one time I loaded one of mine for a hog hunt, 55 grains of FFFg and a 180 grain Buffalo Ball-et. I didn't shoot it, had a Cowboy match comin' up in a couple of weeks, so I just left it loaded. Pulled the caps before I got to the range, so I wouldn't be totin' a loaded gun around. Anyway, our first stage happened to be inside a cabin, shooting through a window. A fairly new lady shooter was one of my three spotters, standing right behind me. On my first shot she literally screamed, "My God what was that!" By the time I fired my last shot, I had the cabin to myself. Even the TO was outside, waiting by my rifle. :lol: I think the targets would've left if they could have.

I found the lady, and reassured her the rest of the day wouldn't be nearly as loud.

If I was smart enough,or dumb enough :unsure: I'd shoot them gunfighter. No I ain't that brave. There is a mod that will keep the loading lever up,reall easy. A PM will get you the answer.

Knarley

I know about filing part of the knob off, or tying the lever up with a piece of rawhide. I never have bothered with either, just live with the problem.

Actually the easiest fix is after loading, just take the dang thing off. Heck, it's only one screw. A feller over on the high road suggested that. Way too simple for me to think of on my own.

Yup, shooting Walkers is an adventure. I have one, pretty much a wore out piece of junk I bought cheap of a feller on the Wire. Never shot it in a match, but it is fun to play with. Funny, as notorious as they are for the loading lever flop, mine has NEVER done that, even with all the powder I could stuff in it. Turns lead balls into lead foil when they hit steel. Stoke it REAL good and they just sorta vaporize.

Silly me, I thought this was gonna be a thread about old folks and "walkers." :lol:

JHC

Yup, shooting Walkers is an adventure. I have one, pretty much a wore out piece of junk I bought cheap of a feller on the Wire. Never shot it in a match, but it is fun to play with. Funny, as notorious as they are for the loading lever flop, mine has NEVER done that, even with all the powder I could stuff in it. Turns lead balls into lead foil when they hit steel. Stoke it REAL good and they just sorta vaporize.

Silly me, I thought this was gonna be a thread about old folks and "walkers." :lol:

JHC

Don't spoze you mean the aluminum ones with the tennis balls do ya?? :lol:

When shooting them Gunfighter, "pedal" the pistols. When you pull the trigger and the loading lever drops, push the other one forwrd while pulling the fired one back. But slide the pistols over/under each other. That will put the loading lever back where it needs to be with out wasting much time. :D

If I was smart enough,or dumb enough :unsure: I'd shoot them gunfighter. No I ain't that brave. There is a mod that will keep the loading lever up,reall easy. A PM will get you the answer.

Knarley

Sent ya a PM.

Archived