SASS Wire Forum

Let eliminate the overall top shooter!

Ace_of_Hearts

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Winning Top Shooter is ALWAYS my goal.

Top Shooter should be the goal of most shooters.....and if Top Shooter is not your goal; then who wins Top Shooter or the fact that there is a Top Shooter award should not be a concern for you.

If someone doesn't want to know who is top overall or thinks it is somehow "unfair" they can simply ignore it or put their fingers in their ears when it is announced. What bugs me is that they want to eliminate the recognition so the vast majority of us who do like to know who was fastest won't get to hear it-I just don't understand their logic in trying to control what everyone else gets to hear.

Howdy BD. The reason you don't (and myself included) understand 'their' logic is because we ain't 'selfish'.

Phantom, although not a psychologist, pretty much hit the nail on the head with his post. Its all about selfishness. If they, or one of their friends, can't achieve certain recognition, then they don't want anyone else to have that recognition.

..........Widder

Around here in Florida after results are read ,most folks want to see results sheet & see how they did overall.

I've read they tried to get rid of Top Gun in other places but didn't work so I suggest OP

bring it up at your local club Match Director/ TG see how it goes.

Personally I like too see nobody respond to these posts so they die a quick death.

Regards AO

Those of you who have won titles for the categories that do not normally produce overall champions, answer this, do you not still strive to rise in the overall rankings? My bet would be that they do and furthermore Ill bet that they would not want their win predicated on an adversaries misfortune, gun jam, etc. I honestly believe that when the top competitive level is reached in most categories, you have guys who are looking for their personal best performance and few of them rarely feel that they acheive perfection during any one specific match. Its like the great artist that we think painted a perfect image BUT he will point to several places that he is dissatisfied with. Give overall everything that he has worked for but never think that there is not perhaps just as much talent in a category that starts out with taller mountains. Some might say that changing to a different category to equal their chance for an OA win would be the cheap way out. To lessen any of ones competition is to cheapen his win and I bet you do not see the real winners belittling their competition who are shooting in other categories!

People who don't want top overall shooters recognized are probably the same people who think that you shouldn't keep score at kids' soccer games so none of the kids have their feelings hurt.

The fastest overall shooter is the winner. All the other awards are only to make those who didn't win feel better.

It depends on the point of view really. The fastest overall winner is the fastest 'overall'. The other winners who shoot the best in a specified category are indeed winners too - in their category.

If you say really is the case, why even recognize, or even have, different categories

G (again, who supports the overall winner being recognized) G ~ :FlagAm:

Probably just my ignorance, but... I want to be the best. I can add on "in my catagory", and I feel like I'm better. The more catagories, the better I get, right? NO! If I'm not compared to all competitiors, how can I know if I'm the best? Keep the overall winner, top shot, whatever you want to call it. Fastst car? Not if he red-lights. Not if his equipment is found to be illegal. You may be the fastest gun, but you still have to show up, hit the targets, play by the rules etc...

Cash

People who don't want top overall shooters recognized are probably the same people who think that you shouldn't keep score at kids' soccer games so none of the kids have their feelings hurt.

+1

GG ~ :FlagAm:

So let me get this right, when we think of the top shooters in Duelist, Gunfighter or perhaps one of the BP categories, they are just going up for a trophy to make them feel good? Damn, how many of you boys want to go up and stand next to a shooter the likes of Lassiter and let him know how little you think of his accomplishments? I think the "feel good crap" is as off base as anyone seriously calling for eliminating OA and a lot less abusing of some mighty fine shooters work ethic!

Winning Top Shooter is ALWAYS my goal.

Well I'll be, we see it tha same way. Some don't like it but I've said many a time, I'd soon come in 15th as I had second! That ain't brag thats gist tha way it is!

RRR

Ray, my question, do you think the top shooters in other categories feel the same or do you think they are out there "just to receive feel good rewards"? I still believe that there are shooters at the top level of almost(if not all) categories who are as devoted to winning their chosen shooting style as any other shooters out there and I still believe that OA is their ultimate goal, whyether doing it with one hand, BP or shooting over the shoulder with a mirror. High achievers are high achievers and they are not limited to one shooting style anymore than they are one shooting sport. You guys who are insulting the champions of the various categories would feel mighty upset if you heard a group of IPSC shooters making these type statements about SASS shooters hiding from the real competition by using cowboy guns!

Ray, my question, do you think the top shooters in other categories feel the same or do you think they are out there "just to receive feel good rewards"?...

As you know, I'm not Ray.

I just wanted to say, category winner awards aren't just "feel good" awards. That was writte by Dern Tootin, or at least taken by me, as a joke. :unsure: Different skill sets, propellants...deserve recognition too.

BTW, look here for my thought about the OP.

Regards,

Allie Mo

I truly just don't get it...

Why should anyone really care that there's an Overall award...how does it hurt anyone?

How/Why is it soooo important of an issue that some folks feel compelled to have to post about it???

Geeze...OY!

Phantom

:FlagAm:

What I object to is not the "Top Over All " award !!!!

But those folks that Regard those Folk that choose to shoot a tougher class of equipment or heaveyer loaded guns ,,,,

As second class shooters ....

And belittle them as not being serious about this game .....

To me if I beat a top shooter (pick any one)using a lightly loaded , short-stroked guns using both hands while it would suprize me (ok Shock me) it would be at best be a very hollow victory.... As that would mean I was selling out my ideals as to what cowboy shooting should be ...

Now if I beat him using my guns with my loads (240+ PF in pistols) I would be so pumped it would take weeks to get back to ordinary ....

Jabez Cowboy

J C i dont think anyone would said you are a second class shooter.IF you want to shoot cap and ball or any other kind of fire arms then that is what you want to shoot.I think that is your right just like it is the right of a 12 year old to shoot what he wants. If he was to win in all at EOT then if you were not proud of him they may call you something and it would not be second class shooter.I think anyone should be able to shoot what they want to shoot.If they cant win top gun and dont like it,they should change class,change guns or quit.

Hey Boys and Girls(I use those terms because Cowboy Shooters are all young at heart);

I used to think that a Top Shooter award was not important to me. I changed my mind after watching so many of my friends work hard for that win. The smiles on their faces say it all. They earned something of value. :FlagAm: More power to them! :excl: Our ancestors came here and put up a fight to win in their families lives. We honor them and should still believe in winning. It is our heritage. Live up to it. End of sermon. :)

God Bless.

Now if I beat him using my guns with my loads (240+ PF in pistols) I would be so pumped it would take weeks to get back to ordinary ....

Jabez Cowboy

You know dude if you're shooting 240PF in pistols I don't want to be anywhere near you. Heck the lead splatter could be fatal and I'm really really fond of my hearing.

Other than that fire at will with whatever you want, makes no difference to me.

Dang I can't believe I just posted to this thread.

Must of been a momentary lapse of reason!

B)

Why should anyone really care that there's an Overall award...how does it hurt anyone?

How/Why is it soooo important of an issue that some folks feel compelled to have to post about it???

Geeze...OY!

Phantom

+ :excl:

Geeze...OY!

Phantom

+ :excl:

+1

You want an issue with some real merit, here it is...

Why are overall rank points used to determine category placement?

I have a lot of friends that are top shooters, its hard to root for a favorite. But enjoy watching them everytime, and the tension of the outcome on who's TOP GUN of the event. Not a single one attained that distinction by sitting back to receive that achievement. Hard work and dedication to practice made it. Sometimes hearing how much time they dedicate shows how serious they are. They also don't complain, nor give excuses when they come in 2nd or 3rd. They just practice harder.

When was the last time a TOP GUN, buckle winner, came on the wire to complain about a call, bad scenario, or made an excuse. Winning doesn't come automatically for them, nor their achievements. Recognized, darn betcha I want to see them recognized. Jealous, NAW! Envy! You betchum.

Most I know also work hard behind the scene of matches, do posse duties, help new shooters, and are usually the first to volunteer. MT

Every year about this time I look at the top matches and ponder.........

Why do we award a Top overall shooter?

By default, that shooter already has won his/her category! So we give them a second, bigger buckle?

Let's face it, the guy smoking up the joint has little chance to win a major match or even come in the top ten.

It seems to me that we should give just as much attention and praise to the person that wins his/her category.

What say you?

I say that the very next shoot you run you should try it and see how it works for you. ;)

Every year about this time I look at the top matches and ponder.........

Why do we award a Top overall shooter?

By default, that shooter already has won his/her category! So we give them a second, bigger buckle?

Let's face it, the guy smoking up the joint has little chance to win a major match or even come in the top ten.

It seems to me that we should give just as much attention and praise to the person that wins his/her category.

What say you?

Well, you have the option of shooting NCOWS. There is no such thing as a "top ten" or "top gun" in that, just winners of categories.

What I object to is not the "Top Over All " award !!!!

But those folks that Regard those Folk that choose to shoot a tougher class of equipment or heaveyer loaded guns ,,,,

As second class shooters ....

And belittle them as not being serious about this game .....

To me if I beat a top shooter (pick any one)using a lightly loaded , short-stroked guns using both hands while it would suprize me (ok Shock me) it would be at best be a very hollow victory.... As that would mean I was selling out my ideals as to what cowboy shooting should be ...

Jabez Cowboy

Jabez Dear,

This "second class shooter" crap is your imagination at work. I've never heard or read the like of what you say by any skilled shooter. Most of the top shooters I've met are not like that. They shoot their game and are happy for you for being able to shoot the game as it pleases you.

You and the other "out of the box," "no short stroke" folks are the ones who are always talking (euphemism for whining) about what you shoot and insinuating others are not deserving for taking the "easy way out."

I still like you. I just am getting tired of this bu.. sh.. argument. Shoot what you like and let others do the same within the rules.

Regards,

Allie "who maybe should step away from the keyboard today" Mo

Jabez Dear,

I still like you. I just am getting tired of this bu.. sh.. argument. Shoot what you like and let others do the same within the rules.

Regards,

Allie "who maybe should step away from the keyboard today" Mo

Stay at the kybd Allie, we're all very tired of hearing about the "cowboy way" of shooting 250gr bullets at 999.999 fps

Phantom, it does nothing but good to have a top overall but several posters started belittling the accomplishments of some mighty fine shooters who, admittedly by choice, will rarely acheive top overall due to their selected shooting style. In my opinion these shooters are gaining more notoriety than they have in the past and that makes it a somewhat a baseless argument we are having, once I can get around the attitude expressed by more than a couple who keep indicating that top shooters in several of 'the other' categories are ducking the real competition. What have we thought about that in years past when other shooting sports participants have accused SASS shooters, as a whole, of ducking the real competition by going to vintage style guns. Recently we have all read where some of the national SASS champs have even proven their bonafideez by paticipating in BP, Gunfighter and WB matches. Ray, didnt I hear that you won the NC State BP match by shooting it as a BP Gunfighter? Would you think that was a cheap win as a couple of posters here have insinuated? By the way, I was proud of you for that one big guy and you are living proof that a top gun is just that, where ever he hangs his hat.

Allie,

I'll buy your supper ifn you don't edit your post #136.

:D

..........Widder

Thanks Widder!

I sure wish I could take you up on that as I have no intention of editing that post. -_-

I talked to JJ last night. He always tells me I'd be welcome to come shoot back there. Someday, I really hope to do so. :)

:wub:

Allie Mo

Archived