SASS Wire Forum

Let eliminate the overall top shooter!

Ace_of_Hearts

I have go problem with the "top-over-all" but just don't claim that the stages are the same for all ....

And may-be some of you-all Could addmit that it is perhaps a little harder to shoot really fast and win using the more challenging shooting forms and guns ....

Because someone has desided to shoot "Frontiersman" don't make him or her LESS dedicated to the sport, I would venture that some of the really good Frontiersmen and like up more of themselves into the game ...

The only Time I care about Top-Dog is when a Close friend is in the running ...

Jabez Cowboy

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TL;DR the whole thread but I like knowing who won overall. I know I'll most likely never be close to it myself but it still makes me happy to see someone who works hard and is really good at what they do get recognition. Why not just be happy for them? This sounds like some sour grapes to me....

I am so proud of myself!

I chose to use the delete key.

Five paragraphs that did not need to be written disappeared.

Noz my friend, thanks for setting an example, I think I'll follow it. C'mon over the Saloon, I'll buy ya a drink.

Grizz

Excuse me fellers while I take out my hearing aids because all the crying is deafening.

When did it become acceptable to be less than your best?

When did it become acceptable to not recognize the best?

If given the opportunity to make rules, I believe some of your fellers would devise a rule where the winner of the NFL Super Bowl isn't the team who scored the most points but rather the team that threw the ball the most often.....or who gained the most yards running inside the Tackles.

And I for sure don't want some of you coming up with excuses as to why my chosen category (GF) is the reason I'm not able to be Top Gun.

If some of you think that shooting Traditional style is the Corvette and shooting GF style is more like driving an SUV, then ya really need to look around and open your eyeballs. And the same holds true for some FCGFer's and Duelist of which I'm knowledgable. They know how to 'pull em pistols and make ya whistle Dixie'.

Make excuses for yeowndangself for your shortcomings.....but don't try to make any for me.

..........Widder

And may-be some of you-all Could addmit that it is perhaps a little harder to shoot really fast and win using the more challenging shooting forms and guns ....

I readily admit this. I'd shout it from the top of the highest mountain if you like. That's why if...or more appropriately...when someone from a more challenging shooting style wins an overall title, I'll be whooping it up louder than anyone. I know Bud's already won a couple of state matches as a Gunfighter. It's only a matter of time before a Gunfighter wins EOT overall too.

Oh...it'll also mean these kinds of posts will go away forever!!!

I have go problem with the "top-over-all" but just don't claim that the stages are the same for all ....

Because someone has desided to shoot "Frontiersman" don't make him or her LESS dedicated to the sport, I would venture that some of the really good Frontiersmen and like up more of themselves into the game ...

The only Time I care about Top-Dog is when a Close friend is in the running ...

Jabez Cowboy

If you want to win Overalls...then do what is necessary to do it.

Everything you just posted is selfish...look at me!!!! I'm shooting a style/guns that won't be competitive for overall...but look at me!!!!

And then there's the I don't care about overall unless a friend is in the running...so...to hell with everyone else.

Gawd...some folks amaze me.

The stages and rules are the same for EVERYONE. You get to choose how YOU want to play...stop with the whinning! I know folks (myself included), that this it would be fun to shoot Duelist...but it's more fun...for us at least, to go for the Overall. Ain't it a grand game when we can choose which direction you want to go in this game?

Too many of you worry about crap that don't add up to a hill of beans...

:FlagAm:

We play in a game that thrives in the mystique of the Old west,or as we know it from movies or TV.

It's the age old question, "who's the fastest gun"?

In the showdown, does it matter if one shot duelist and other with two hands?

Does black powder or smokeless make a difference?

One is lying in the street, the other is the "Top Gun"!!!

Our "Top Gun" doesn't have anything to do with the competition or categories.

When we quit caring about who's the fastest of them all...we ain't playing Cowboy anymore!!

BH

Being top overall is a big accomplishment and should be recognized. How can you justify giving someone an award for being the only one in their category and then not award someone who beat EVERYBODY?

That right there is the best reply I have ever heard on this subject .........Thanks Dirty ......uuuuuh I mean Chris

I love it. Joe Blow frontiersman could smoke any two hander if he wanted, but chooses not to and prefers to handicap himself by shooting frontiersman. Yeah ok. I have heard this before and my answer is always put up or shut up. If he coulda he woulda. Guys don't like to get beat or outperformed. You see it in every competition regardless of what it is. You think women are exempt? Ask any women who is competative in this sport if she has always been treated well by her fellow competitors and you will probably be dissapointed by the answer. It's human nature. You can't shoot full case load of BP one handed and win overall, sorry.

Let's face it, the guy smoking up the joint has little chance to win a major match or even come in the top ten.

Apparently you havn't watched Spur Roberts shoot ??

3rd overall at Comin at cha 2010 shootin Frontier cartridge.

Apparently you havn't watched Spur Roberts shoot ??

3rd overall at Comin at cha 2010 shootin Frontier cartridge.

Yep. I was going to post that and you beat me to it.

3rd overall out of almost 400 shooters.

I guess someone forgot to tell him he was not in the running.

Nuttin Graceful shooting duelist making top 10 overall at WR and EOT.

If you are good at what you do. You can be competitive. Both the above proves it.

Take it away all you want. But the first thing most are going to do is look to

see who won overall anyway.

Almost a decade ago, an 11 year old boy told me he wanted to be the best in the world and he wanted to attain that goal while still a junior shooter and be the first junior to do it. Six years ago, racing the clock on 12 stages, racing the calendar on his age and racing a field of other outstanding juniors, he did it. A boy set a man sized goal and reached it.

You would suggest stealing that goal from other boys and girls. You would suggest stealing similar goals from men with grey hair. You would suggest stealing similar goals from outstanding women shooters.

I call that short sighted, mean and down right petty. That is what I say.

Black Jack Traven

By far. Hands down. The best post.

When top shooters shoot the "difficult" categories, the perception of what is possible is redefined.

If you go to drag races, there are many classes, but ultimately top fuel will be ran last and it's not difficult to understand why. As for our sport, I like watching (and hearing about) the "top fuel" guys and gals. A week from now, I'll be among those screaming, "Where's the scores?!"

I have no problem announcing who shot the fastest, but I agree with one of the posters: that doesn't mean the best shooter. Using the drag race anallogy: Two drivers, one in a'69 Corvette, the other in a '69 VW. Both enter the local open drags. Obvious winner is the Corvette. Is he the better driver? Sure, the cars should be in different categories, but it's still the same race. Same thing in our game. Fastest shootist wins, not necessarily the best shootist.

Again, no problem with current practice of listing the shooters in time/finish sequence. Just have a semantics problem with "best", which to me connotes more than fastest one time.

Heee Haaa.. It appears that some of ya don't understand, The top shooter just didn't have a Prairrie Fairrie sprinkle,, them with speed dust..they earned the title TOP SHOOTER..They work at it every day.. :blink:

Last year "Doots" shot Pale-Rider Outlaw with us, thats as far away from the Sqaw-Grippin,Poof-Tinker shooter as you can get.. I had 2 misses he had 13. :) I thought I had whooped him NOT He could of had 13 more and still would have beaten me.. :unsure:

All I can say is Id give ALL the top shooters the respect and credit that do them they earned it ;)

Heee Haaa Crazy Mingo :wacko::wacko::FlagAm:

I think it likely that the guy winning top fuel has long ago proven that he can drive a VW or a Vette to its maximum potential. If the VW or Vette driver is as good, he's very likely to move up. As far as this game goes, someone please pick a VW driver and I'll pick a top fuel driver. It would be interesting to see if we could set up a man on man. To be fair and to prove the point, they can drive VW's or Vettes since my guy (many to choose from) will be a proven top fuel driver. Is Frontiersman the VW? :D What do we do if I already know a Frontiersman that kicks?

Best shooter in the context it is being spoken of = Best at this game as it is played at Regional and National levels

Hey Buck...I have an old VW magazine around here somewhere that had an article on Corey McClenathon....when he was racing in a VW Karma Ghia...long before he moved up to Top Fuel

Ok, the rest of you can get back to your regularily scheduled programming. And this is a regular program, maybe we should just copy one of these threads and just repost it every couple of months, it would save a lot of typing

Heee Haaa.. It appears that some of ya don't understand, The top shooter just didn't have a Prairrie Fairrie sprinkle,, them with speed dust..they earned the title TOP SHOOTER..They work at it every day.. :blink:

Last year "Doots" shot Pale-Rider Outlaw with us, thats as far away from the Sqaw-Grippin,Poof-Tinker shooter as you can get.. I had 2 misses he had 13. :) I thought I had whooped him NOT He could of had 13 more and still would have beaten me.. :unsure:

All I can say is Id give ALL the top shooters the respect and credit that do them they earned it ;)

Now you gone and done it! You've introduced a situation that has already taken place that proves my theory about top fuel drivers. My chances of getting up a grudge race and talking somebody into a bet is decreasing. Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhsssssshhhhhhh! :D

Guest Cinch, SASS#29433

I know some Gunfighters, Black Powder types, and Duelists who are trying to win Overall... Leave it alone!! Now they may win their category but top dog is the prize!!

I would rather question taking 1st in a category, with two shooters, while finishing 150th overall... :huh:

Guest Texas Jack Black

I would question taking top overall while shooting against super seniors or those cap and ball shooters etc .

When you are shooting in a category with only two shooters at least you are shooting against your peers.

:lol: Ditto - I was there...and finished dead last against you two.

The game is great the way it is in this regard. Leave it alone.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Every year about this time I look at the top matches and ponder.........

Why do we award a Top overall shooter?

By default, that shooter already has won his/her category! So we give them a second, bigger buckle?

Let's face it, the guy smoking up the joint has little chance to win a major match or even come in the top ten.

It seems to me that we should give just as much attention and praise to the person that wins his/her category.

What say you?

I agree with you 100%. I shoot FCD with full loads and I do not want to shoot two handed, smokeless with light loads. I'm not putting down those that do, it's the beauty of SASS you can play how ya want, but I do agree that Overall winner does detract a bit from the category winners. Rye

Now you gone and done it! You've introduced a situation that has already taken place that proves my theory about top fuel drivers. My chances of getting up a grudge race and talking somebody into a bet is decreasing. Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhsssssshhhhhhh! :D

Hey Buck!! Ashley Force can't drive a stick shift!! :o:lol:

When we stop recognising the best, we'll not have a best to recognise!! :angry:

If someone doesn't want to know who is top overall or thinks it is somehow "unfair" they can simply ignore it or put their fingers in their ears when it is announced. What bugs me is that they want to eliminate the recognition so the vast majority of us who do like to know who was fastest won't get to hear it-I just don't understand their logic in trying to control what everyone else gets to hear.

Archived